PDA

View Full Version : Rigging, frustrastion for a newbie

restif
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I have had Lightwave (now 11.6) for a couple years and have done some basic tutorials (Dan Alban's course), RH rigging tutorial and am working on the new IK Booster tutorial.

I guess I biggest thing is to get a character rigged in LW and learn it. I fear that I have plenty of irritation I am experiencing. For instance, I load a OBJ of a figure, set up the bones, when I activate it the mesh turns upside down but the bones don't. I am most certain this is a very basic mistake I am making and I am missing the explanation.

Certainly would like some advice on this and also the best course of study for Rigging. Lots of talented users out there and I welcome your guidance.

Thanks

Kryslin
02-09-2014, 05:15 PM
One thing to remember is Rest your bones, and if necessary, Record your Pivot Rotations (usually done in the opposite order).

Sounds to me like you've forgotten to "rest" your bones, probably after recording a pivot rotation or other operation.

"r" rests a bone/selected bones, and will cause the mesh to snap back to it's original, undeformed position, the "rest" position.
"P" records the pivot rotation for a bone, and it will need to be re-rested "r" afterwards.

Rigging requires patience, and the ability to troubleshoot the problems that come up. A little bit of scripting knowledge and Lightwave's expression system helps.

While there are alternatives to expressions, until LW3DG fixes the bug in the motion system, you'll have to deal with them. Otherwise, Nodal Motion and Nodal Channel control make it much easier.

Ryan Roye
02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
We've all been there... remember the only reason there are experts out there is because they all sucked at what they did at one time :)

TIP: I recommend setting the default hotkey "r" to something like "CTRL-r"... because the hotkey of "t" (move) is a very frequently used hotkey, but if you happen to accidentally hit "r" in the middle of animating something it can really lead to some frustration because there's no way to undo it without manual work.

EDIT: Also, I recommend Adam Gibson's tutorials (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/adam-gibson/) on Liberty3d.com if you haven't already given them a look. Everything from him is 30% off until Feb 11th (promocode: KarateKid).

restif
02-10-2014, 05:30 AM
Thanks, Solid tips. Nice to know that my hair pulling isn't exclusive to me. I'll definitely look to change that hot key, I have hit R more times than I care to say while working on setups. I don't currently know anything on scripting but will learn.

Thanks for the suggestions on Adam's tutuorials. Between RH,New IK booster tutorials (thanks I have bought it), and Adam's I think I'll be busy a while.

Still will pull my hair out a bit.

bobakabob
02-10-2014, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=chazriker;1366817]We've all been there... remember the only reason there are experts out there is because they all sucked at what they did at one time :)QUOTE]

LOL How true :)