PDA

View Full Version : Children of a SubD don't jump position?

JBT27
02-09-2014, 05:49 AM
If you parent a null (or anything) to a subD mesh, with Parent In Place off, the child object stays put - is that right?

Thanks.

Julian.

ernpchan
02-09-2014, 09:13 AM
No, it should relocate to the pivot of the parent. If you have PIP on, the child will stay wherever it was. Your model being subd has no impact on how parenting works.

JBT27
02-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks - yep, that's what I thought - couldn't make sense of it, no PiP on, so not that. Still doing it - no idea why - parent other stuff and it jumps to parent like it should, but not this subD thing. Ah well - no time now - will faff with this later.

Julian.

ernpchan
02-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Is the parent of your subd object in an odd place?

JBT27
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
OK - just been playing about with it some more - somethings off (or I am).

The objects that are displaying this problem are modelled off the origin in Modeler, and the pivot likewise is set to the object and not the origin - so I use the Pivot Commander script from way back.

Whether it's subD or not - doesn't matter, take that object into Layout, create a null, then parent the null to the object. The null stays put at the origin. It is parented and will move with the parent, but it won't snap to it. PiP is definitely off.

If the object is saved at the origin, with the pivot there, then moved in Layout, and then something is parented to it, then that something will snap to it.

Am quite confused - I have loaded some scripts into Layout, just the other day, for setup and animation, but not convinced any are responsible for this - basic usage surely.

Julian.

Jarno
02-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Strangely this confusion came up somewhere else just the other day, so I have an answer already prepared:

Parenting is always done relative to the parent position with the pivot position subtracted out.
The pivot position in Layout is intended to be used to offset the centre of rotation of an object. It is not intended to be used to recentre the geometry of an object. By subtracting the pivot position the child remains at the same position relative to the geometry, independent of what the pivot position is.

---JvdL---

JBT27
02-10-2014, 05:26 AM
Thanks - yep, of course. It's the most stupid thing, because I know this, and yet I obviously got thrown by overthinking it, then getting confused (which is THE word here), then posting. Thinking it through last night, I realised there was nothing wrong ... except with my perception - temporarily bust - appreciate the explanation - thanks again.

Julian.