PDA

View Full Version : Space

Solaris
11-18-2003, 04:12 PM
hi all wavers!
what ya think about my space. i made it with LightWave 5.6.
crits are welcome

riki
11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
The lens flare looks a bit gay :D

No seriously, we've seen that same Lens Flare used a million times and it's always the same and it always looks cheezy.

The problem is, is that it's become a very distinctive cliche.

liquidpope
11-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Hooray for Space.
Hooray for this image, with one exception...

Boo and Hiss for the lens flare.

SamuraiSlayer
11-18-2003, 11:26 PM
i think that almost every1 can say that a space thing was one of their first lighwave projects, right?

every1 has done a space scene

it's almost the easiest, and also most useless things you can do with lightwave

looks good, besides the extreme usualness of it

oh, and the lens... well nevermind

liquidpope
11-18-2003, 11:35 PM
Yo, Sam -

You got me there. The very first stuff I ever did was planets and junk.
Number two was all the super lens flares I could stand.
I'm glad I got over that...

There's a lot of good space stuff though. Star Trek, B5, all that crap on SciFi...

If you love space and spaceships and sci-fi and junk, go for it, buddy! Render what you love. (Can't we all just get along?)
90 million nerds can't be wrong.

I'm looking at this image again, and I have to say, I really like it.
Except for the lens flare, and I think the planets are lighted a bit strong. Just too darn bright, but maybe that's just me.
Other than that, I say it's quite good, indeed!

SamuraiSlayer
11-18-2003, 11:55 PM
yes, pope, i agree, the picture is good, i like it

on the other hand, there's so many space pictures, maybe not TOO many but SO many... just look at the "your first render' page in the finished section, there were like 10 space pictures on there, and a whole bunch of lens flare

i bet if the producers of star trek, babylon 5, andromeda, or stargate sg-1 posted a thing on here askin about someone to do space animation for them... the spot would be taken in 5 minutes flat... probably even for FREE!!!

i knew that their could be almost no1 to honestly say that they never did a space scene...

i'm tired, i'm going to bed, good night

riki
11-18-2003, 11:57 PM
Knolls Lens Flare is a good commercial Plug for Photoshop which has a wide range of alternative lens-flares. But it's a bit on the expensive side. They have a demo you can play though.

I'm not sure what kind of variations you can get with the native LW version, but the Knoll plug might give some ideas if your interested.

Just one other suggestion. Maybe try to vary the diffuse settings for the stars, make some of them fade off a bit into the distance.

I saw a good tut on this site which might be helpful. http://www.ap3d.com

It looks good though.

best

r

Solaris
11-19-2003, 01:24 AM
thanx for the link riki!

yes sam this is one of my first projekt, thats right!
space scenes are one of the easiest way to get knowledge about
3d programms i think.
ohhh...i loved it to play with lens in my beginning. this is soo cool for a person that never seen a 3d programm before.
i think space scenes are still the best training for beginners to collect knowledge about lightning, texturing and so on..............

hey try this image on your desktop.....;)

thx guys.

starbase1
11-19-2003, 05:26 AM
Actually the real shame about the lens flare is that it's blocking a really neat galaxy! I hope that was done in lightwave! (and if so, how?)

Tone down the lighting on the planet, (as liquidpope suggested), also increase the terminator sharpness, (advanced tab on textures).

If you do want to use lens flares, then avoid so many default settings. Change every single one! One thing I like to do is parent a light to the one you want to flare, (if it is providing illumination). That way you can change the colour independantly of the light colour, and make it look even less usual.

I think there are many reasons space scenes are so popular, particularly with beginners. The main ones being that there is no correct look, (so any errors will be much less obvious), and you don't have to model an entire populated environment for it to look good.

Cheers,
Nick

veljko
11-19-2003, 05:33 AM
Cool space scene:)-

Love space scenes:)

A few things that might improve it-

Ad an atmosphere to the planets (an outher ball object, with a gradint set to incidance angle in transparency layer with maby a touch of glow will do the trick)

There are no lens flares in space:)
No lenses to flare up:)

hrgiger
11-19-2003, 05:46 AM
Lensflare...must...resist...using....

Not bad. The thing that bothers me is that the planet doesn't feel massive like a planet is. Perhaps if you added a subtle atmopshere, it might help some. Planets will be reflecting a lot of light form whatever star is illuminating them so a sublte glow around the planet might be nice. But I guess the thing that bothers me the most is all of space looks cloudy as if the planet is passing through an extremely large nebula. I'm not sure this happens a lot. I did a image search on google on outer space and couldn't find another example of such a thing. I think it'd probably look better to have an isolated nebula cloud in the background and focus more on the planet. Just a thought.

Solaris
11-19-2003, 06:36 AM
i think the reason why its looking cloudy is that my monitor shows me the image differnt than yours hrgiger. i dont know why !
should it is time to buy a new one :)
the galaxy is an image that i placed on a objekt!