PDA

View Full Version : Car Doors

Leprechaun
11-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Any idea how to make a car door from an existing flat surface such as the side panels on this car? Like making a lil indent to make it atleast look as if there is a door there.

Leprechaun
11-18-2003, 04:04 PM
is there something like the drill tool only that doesnt cut all of the way threw?

SLAYER
11-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Stencil is like drill and does not cut all the way through. You will move the newly stenciled polys to the depth you desire after you stencil.
With sub d's though you may have to tweak alot and add or subtract geometry after the stencil to get your desired door shape.

brtk
11-18-2003, 07:55 PM
HI

I have never used drill or stencil myself, hereīs how Iīm doing it My Way:

Itīs kinda hard to explain it so I made this animated gif (ca350Kb),
still it needs some explanation:
1. Select the points that define your door
2. Run DAZ_Edgebevel (thx DAZ this plug rocks!!!) This produces a band of quads, couple of milimeters willl do...
3. Select two quads and run BandSaw, meke sure that enable divide is turned off.
4. With the band of polys selected use Smooth**** to bevel it in. Instead of SmoothShift you could use
some third party plugin such as Vertibevel that bevels polygons as a group, VB is not free but I think I
saw some free beveling plugs on fly.com...
5. The last step is for making the edges of the groove look sharper: select two adjoining polys
that are part of the groove and run BandSaw, enable divide on both "ends" and execute...
6. The result after TAB

Leprechaun
11-22-2003, 07:15 PM
where can i get that DAZ_Edgebevel plug in?

JBT27
01-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Leprechaun
where can i get that DAZ_Edgebevel plug in?

http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/development/developright.html