PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing .mdd's over time

Hieron
02-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Is there some way to smooth .mdd's over time?

With dynamics calculations (I use ClothFX since Bullet can not do that kind of stuff) between colliding soft bodies, there is often some amount of jittering involved. Nothing too major, but it shows.. It's 1 frame jitter and it usually jitters around an average point. A simple nodal flow can fix it almost to perfection by having 3 MDD Pointers at -.5, 0 and +.5 frames from current and adding them together again (.25, .5 and .25 ratio). So, yay. However, I need it 200x.... seems a bit much work to keep copy pasting and reconnecting nodes..

Will consider Python scripting the .lws file, but perhaps there is some other (external) way?

While I'm at it a feature request:
Add a .mdd time blending option to the normal .mdd reader (and nodal..) that gets applied by .mdd loader that will allow such a x frames blend. Should be straightforward really and could help those jittery caches.

hrgiger
02-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Chronosculpt.

Hieron
02-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Does Chronosculpt do time smoothing? Didn't see it mentioned in the features.... Would you mind posting a screengrab of the option in CS..
200 of 'em at the same time?
Does Chronosculpt allow loading a .lws?
Not very efficient to load a object, mdd.. tweak, next.. Might as well add it nodally..

Also, I'm not trying to make an object settle into a final position, these things are continuously moving and changing. Just trying to blend out the minor variations in the solution in between frames, the jitter.

hrgiger
02-05-2014, 08:58 AM
No, Chronosculpt loads objects and then loads point caches either .mdd or maya n cache to apply your motion to the objects so you would have to bake your mdd from your .lws.

Ah, not sure if it can smooth yet between motions. I thought you were trying to get things to stop jittering and come to final rest.

You can tweak them over time so if you have some "jumpy" points or areas you can drag them about and transition them so they don't jump like that. So yes, you can smooth things out but there's no inherent smoothing brush.

I'm not sure if there's a way to load many .mdd files at once like that, I dont' work with mdd's enough to say, sorry.

Hieron
02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Myeah, that's the view I have on CS as well. No way it would work for this.. One dodgy way to get blending of 2 frames is by setting time shift to 0.5 frame and hoping interpolation kicks in :) heh, might actually work.

edit: yeah that works, nice. being able to blend more frames than 2 would be nice but this will do.