PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to the Lightwave group-Plugin assets maintenance,gallery thumbs, presets

prometheus
02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Dear Lightwave group..

I have noticed that the plugin asset page is sort of falling behind in updates..I think.
Two months ok, three months passed..and now reaching four months soon without any update, it doesnīt look good...I do recall some new plugins that has showed up, like metamesh etc..why not put some
effort and update that plugin site and make people aware of that plugin etc.

I also would like to suggest getting back to the thumbnail presentation next to everyones gallery in the forum threads, it helps us users to choose which threads we find interesting in the gallery..rather than
leaving us with no choice and going through all off them, or none of them.

Preset central, as a huge asset for surfaces,lwcad stuff,hypervoxels and volumetric lights....this page would be better off, If it were more visible somehow, I donīt know if it can be linked directly from the Lightwave asset page...
Simply put it under assets-plugins and make a new group called assets-presets...how about that?

or if someone else at the lightwave group could do a makeover/takeover somehow after discussing it with the current owner of the preset central, the preset central is rarely updated with new stuff..and the browsing
function is somewhat awkward when you select category, it should directly show those selected categories.. and not force us to filter each time, of course that is a job for the current presetcentral webmaster...anyway it needs overhaul.

otherwise the page is very attractive and informative, I also like how you guys have embedded some clips made by erikals together with the plugins, and cudos to him for making such a contribute for all of us.

Michael

JohnMarchant
02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Agreed Michael, there needs to be someone dedicated to doing this. There is allot out there, especially outside the English speaking world that don't get a mention and because of language don't get tapped. I would love to see some scripts updated to work with 11.6. I know quite a few now that come up with **BADTAG** when you scan. Mike Green's (dodgy) for one give a few **BADTAG**, but there are others. erikals is doing a great job posting video's of plugins that dont work correctly, or could work better and some that are obsolete now.

Ive tried to contact Mike about this but cannot find contact details to let him know.

erikals
02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
erikals is doing a great job posting video's of plugins that dont work correctly, or could work better and some that are obsolete now.

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
thank you, those late ones are Modeler default plugins/tools though... :]
hope to see them removed or improved.

yes, i'm not quite sure why the LWPDB hasn't seen more "love"
but web related things seem to go slow at NT,... reeeal slow... not the first time...

cudos to him for making such a contribute for all of us.
arigato! http://www.indianvideogamer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/arigato.gif

ianr
02-04-2014, 11:44 AM
We've seen it all before,
Good old Flay.com, what a great hard working guy,
Newtek never gave him good support. So why does that old
mind-set still survive of LW inertia towards Plug-Ins.
' Oh, smelly things stealing our thunder.'hmmm?
Wake up finially & smell the coffee :Plug Ins need a little love
LW3DG :so do the developers. Turbulence is shown in action
on recent reels & there is still No Turbulence 'Sticky' thread
in the Third Party section still!!! For years Newtek never bothered
to help with maybe a English translation of wonderous Japanese
Third party plug ins on small text Manuals. What has Changed, well
3rdPowers jaw dropping New Plugs Cage, Lattice, Meta-Mesh etc
should be lauded to the heavens in that arena,let alone AGAIN
have a 'sticky' in third party forum.
Saviours some Plugins have been previously referred to by users,
so why is this Mind-set carried on.
The App which promotes its plug-ins, is a win -win for all, for do
some people really think that they should whither & die on the vine.
Lightwave has lost ALOT of developers which where firsts in its History.
So marketing should under is new broom sweep away those old ways.
I makes sense & while your at it a 'Box Shot' the rare third party Videos
& show/promote/ link them into the site.

prometheus
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
thank you, those late ones are Modeler default plugins/tools though... :]
hope to see them removed or improved.

yes, i'm not quite sure why the LWPDB hasn't seen more "love"
but web related things seem to go slow at NT,... reeeal slow... not the first time...

arigato! http://www.indianvideogamer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/arigato.gif

"lightwave preset base not shown any more love", well...people need to add stuff there in order for it to grow, but it strikes me that newbies recenly aquiring lightwave etc, they ask about where to find presets
and that probably means they donīt know about it, and how could they know...two things, make it available as I mentioned in the lightwave main site page under assets(it is an asset ...really)
secondly, why not a command in lightwave next to presets where it is linked to preset central or something like that.

If people donīt know where to go, no one goes there..and ergo nothing will be added to the site in the amount we want too.
I think the lightwave group should take more responsibility in terms of directing the users to valuable resources and assets, by linking on their site which canīt be that hard to do and requires little work..
the rest of the work is done by the webmaster of preset central and us users.

Michael