PDA

View Full Version : The case for Linux

kmacphail
02-03-2014, 10:10 PM
As I write this post the Lightworks 11.5 video editor has had 9001 downloads of its Linux installers and 28412 downloads of its Windows installers. That's an impressive 24% of Lightworks potential user base running Linux (made even more impressive given that Linux accounts for only 1.6% of all desktops vs Windows 90.6% according to Wikipedia).

I do realize that the comparison of LightWave to Lightworks is not an apples-to-apples one, but I believe there are enough similarities between their target markets that the comparison is relevant. I also realize that downloads do not necessarily translate into paying users, but those are numbers we may never know.

What I do hope is that the fine folks at NewTek find these numbers interesting and give due consideration to adding LightWave for Linux to their future release schedule.

Cheers,

-Kevin

thomascheng
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm starting to make the move over to linux. I hope lightwave supports it soon so I can use it more with my work. It's quite an advantage to boot into linux from a USB stick with my license of lightwave installed on it. Very plug and play.

Netvudu
02-07-2014, 12:06 PM
It is my opinion that if Adobe ever creates a Photoshop version for Linux, there will be a massive migration to Linux

allabulle
02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Oh yes!

cagey5
02-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Well I'm hopeful that with Newtek releasing some of their latest Lightwave based programs in Linux flavour that Lightwave itself will follow at some point. Sooner rather than later please!. I have my hopes pinned on news being forthcoming during the LW12 cycle. :)

allabulle
02-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I suspect the culprit is mainly the UI. When they are out of the current UI then can manage, as in ChronoSculpt. When they were doing the last project of software that ended not that well there was a version for GNU/Linux, and maybe using Qt for the interface was the key point to it. So yes, if and when they re-do the UI and the big structural changes that it implies (not small task at all) we'll probably see a port to GNU/Linux.

When Rob Powers was in Barcelona I asked him if a Linux port was off the table; he said that it was not something we were going to see in the short term but, as things evolve, why not? So it's not exactly a question of interest or willingness, it's a question of priorities. When it's doable, we'll have it.

Meantime, supporting somehow, unofficially even, a way to make licensing work under WINE would be much appreciated. But the practicalities of that move are questionable too and I understand it (because I gladly agree with my own speculations, of course.)

kmacphail
08-27-2014, 07:03 PM
It has been 6 months since I started this thread, so here's a little update on LightWorks current download ratio if anyone is interested.

Windows - 644189
Linux - 64483
OSX - 18308

Allabulle, I think your speculations are on the money. I especially agree that official WINE support, something along the line of how Eyeon supports Fusion, would be a welcomed effort.

Cheers,

-Kevin

CaptainMarlowe
08-30-2014, 02:00 PM
The pity is that LW works very well with wine, except that it doesn't recognize the licence key and thus runs in discovery mode. Otherwise, I have successfully installed it on Linux with play on linux and even the windows version on Mac with wineskin.
If LW3DG would fix the incensing problem for LW, they could at least release a wine-based lightwave version with unofficial support.

cagey5
08-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Exactly. And that can't be rocket science. I don't have Wine installed at present and would be loathe to do so for the sake of a single program , but it would still be a lot better than booting into Windows. A task I undertake solely for Lightwave these days. A bespoke Linux version would be preferable obviously and I await the next release with great anticipation.