PDA

View Full Version : Question for Amleto users

Sebasvideo
02-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I just installed Amleto following the instructions in the PDF. I even opened the right UDP port in my firewall in both machines. The server sees the client fine, it shows it under host name and it shows the icon with the thumb up. I add a very simple scene that has one emitter with hypervoxels, I just change the output directory and the image format. I click on the Add button, and the client GUI scrolls through the frames fast, and at the end I see "Frame 1 failed to render", and the same for successive frames.

In the server GUI, I switch to the messages tab and see this for every frame:

Node [my second PC name] (192.168.1.109): 1 lost frame 1
Node [my second PC name] (192.168.1.109): 1 uploaded frame 1

And the list goes on for the rest of the frames.

At first I thought that changing the output folder to a shared folder that was seen by the two machines would help, but it doesn't.

Any suggestions? I'm using LW 11.6.1 64 bit.

Also, is there a free render manager like this that renders split frames but from inside Lightwave directly, not loading the scene in a separate program?

Thanks,

Sebastian

hunter
02-05-2014, 04:14 PM
double post

hunter
02-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm going through this exact same thing today. Sorry I'm no help but am interested in the cause.

Sebasvideo
02-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Steve posted an update this morning that makes Amleto compatible with 11.6.1.

A few things for those using it for the first time like me:

1) When installing on the main workstation, launch AmletoSetup.msi and leave both server and client checked to install. If you only install the server, the main workstation won't render anything. Which may be useful for some setups but not for home setups where you need all the render power you can get.

2) Once everything is installed, launch the server first and make sure it's set to the right configs folder. Then launch the clients, the one in the main computer and the others

3) It's better to setup all the options for the scene from Layout before loading it in Amleto, otherwise you will have to change them each and every time. For example, render range, output folder and file format.

4) In the Add dialog, in the frames tab, render block is set to 5 by default, but it's better to set it to 1, because that way you will be sure that the fastest machine renders most of the frames. If you leave it at 5, and you add a 6 frame job, the first five will be sent to the first available client, which may not be the fastest one.

inkpen3d
02-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi there,

I've been helping Steve get to the bottom of this problem and have tested V3.3 which, as mentioned previously, is available on his web site and fixes the problem.

Regards,
Peter

Danner
02-06-2014, 09:56 AM
...4) In the Add dialog, in the frames tab, render block is set to 5 by default, but it's better to set it to 1, because that way you will be sure that the fastest machine renders most of the frames. If you leave it at 5, and you add a 6 frame job, the first five will be sent to the first available client, which may not be the fastest one.

Lowering it to 1 is not always desirable because it clears and loads everthing into memory for each frame if you set it to 1. So for large scenes that don't take long per frame to render but take a long time to load, subdivide and displace, it will make things take more time.
I think shadow map cache also works on the render block setting, so you are not recalculating all your shadow maps at every frame. (would need to test this.. can't right now)

Sebasvideo
02-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Yes, Steve mentioned that it was set to 5 for that reason, that large scenes benefited from that. However, it you have two or more machines with different processing speeds, it means that it might not distribute the jobs in the most efficient way. So it's a balance between how long it takes to render vs how long it takes to load the scene.

hunter
02-06-2014, 11:16 AM

I've tried all the advice here with the latest version. I appreciate all the hard work being put into this, but unfortunately it still isn't working for me. What am I missing?

Sebasvideo
02-06-2014, 11:20 AM

I've tried all the advice here with the latest version. I appreciate all the hard work being put into this, but unfortunately it still isn't working for me. What am I missing?

Have you opened UDP port 61111 in your firewall? Now, I'm not totally sure if it has to be in the server machine's firewall, in the client one, or if it has to be incoming or outgoing, so I opened them all. But the last version should work. According to Steve it was because of a couple of extra files that were not being copied over.

inkpen3d
02-06-2014, 11:38 AM

Try downloading v3.3 again and reinstalling it. There was a problem with the initial build that I identified today and was subsequently fixed by Steve.

Regards,
Peter

paulhart
02-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Amleto used to work fine for me?? Now, ehh?? I want to eventually do a big project on Amazon Cloud with Amleto, but if I can't get it going on my local system, what chance do I have :>)
Still having the same problem. Clean install with the latest version (Thank you Steve, appreciated and donated), with dedicated /temp folder on each machine. The client says it connects, setup takes a second, no program files or plugins are transferred, as it used to do?? Post of the screen shot, just so it can be understood. Same response as above???119949

hunter
02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Amleto used to work fine for me?? Now, ehh?? I want to eventually do a big project on Amazon Cloud with Amleto, but if I can't get it going on my local system, what chance do I have :>)
Still having the same problem. Clean install with the latest version (Thank you Steve, appreciated and donated), with dedicated /temp folder on each machine. The client says it connects, setup takes a second, no program files or plugins are transferred, as it used to do?? Post of the screen shot, just so it can be understood. Same response as above???119949

Still the same here. Clean install with latest, and all ports allowed through firewall. It has to be something I'm overlooking if it's working for others.

inkpen3d
02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Okay, try this...

Notes:

I've found it easiest to troubleshoot the problem on the same PC as I am running the Amleto Server (i.e. set up this machine to also run the Amleto client). Once you get everything working on this machine, extend the process to just one other machine that you'll be using as a render node. Get that working okay and then propagate to all the other nodes.
In the steps below I describe what to do on the client machines, but the same applies to the situation where the Amleto Client application is also run on the same machine as the Amleto Server application.
I have assumed that you have installed both the Server AND the Client applications from the latest download of Amleto V3.3 (the msi files are time-stamped 06/02/2014 14:06).

From the Amleto Server application shut down all the Amleto client(s). You can keep the Server application running.
On the client machine, go into ProgramData\Amleto\Cache and delete the LW11-64 and/or LW11-32 sub-directory (you'll need to have turned on display hidden files in Windows Explorer to see the Program Data folder). Note: Removing the LW11-** folder will force the re-sending of all the program files, plugins, etc., required by LWSN to perform a render.
With the Server application running, start up the client application and it should start receiving all the aforementioned files.
When this set up process has completed, open up the newly created LW11-64 or LW11-32 folder and then go into the Program sub-folder - you should see amongst all the files 3 sub-folders, one of which is called Lib, it was this missing folder (containing Python scripts) that was causing LW11.6.1 renders to fail.
If that Lib folder is missing then the chances are that either you have not got the latest build of Amleto V3.3 installed (on both the server and client machines) or there's some other problem that needs further investigating by Steve.
If the Lib folder IS present then try rendering a test project via the Amleto Server and monitor the client log output. You should no longer see the frames failing to render.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Peter

hunter
02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
This is good info Inkpen3d. Thank you. I did as you described but I only get a Config folder in the "C:\ProgramData\Amleto\Cache\LW11-64" directory. No others and I am using the installer dated as you mentioned above. Feeling at a loss...

inkpen3d
02-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Sorry, but I think this is one for Steve Moody ([email protected]).

Regards,
Peter

paulhart
02-11-2014, 05:03 PM
For other lost souls out there in computer land, here is my recent solution, with Stephen thoughtful help.
As someone else thoughtfully stated it, software problems are often caused by the "loose nut" between the chair and keyboard. I have problem solved extra hard and found some of my problems and am now able to render using Amleto correctly. The log files were crucial to solving the problems.
I had checked, and in the Tools>Options and the correct version and folder was referenced, right down to the 11.6.1, so that was not the problem.
I scrubbed both systems, Uninstalled Amleto, deleted all relevant folders, rebooted.
I then went in and used the RegEditor on both systems. Many of you should not need this step, but I am including it in full disclosure as my system was "gunked up" from previous "UserError." (That 'loose nut' referenced at the top ;>)
I went this route because the file LWM11-64.cfg in the C:\Users\Paul\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.1 on my MainStation had three(3) references to Lightwave11-6, not helpful!! I have been moving along since version 7.5 so I must have renamed something back along the way and it was still in there jamming up the works. I also stripped all references to Amleto from the Registry, just to get a clean start. Don't play in the Registry unless you are feeling brave, backup beforehand?
I then rebooted, to load the new Registry, went in and checked the LWM11-64.cfg after running Layout and closing it, and this time it had the correct info for Programs, Application, and Plugin, the faulty entries from the prior look.
I then went in and re-installed Amleto, ran the Server, checked the Tools>Options, then launched a Client. It zipped through the correct copying of all of the needed files, then started rendering as is expected!!!
On the secondary station, I went through the same routine, however on that station, the Registry had errant entries for Lightwave, as it used to be my primary workstation, before a motherboard went belly up. I cleaned all of these references out entirely only leaving the ones that referenced the MainWorkStation that Amleto needs.
All of these steps were necessary, but it is all working now correctly, thank you.
The addition of the Log files pushed me to find the problems as they arrived.
Your fine work is appreciated.

OcatilloPicture
08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Hi, I emailed Steve Moody and he was kind enough to send me this link to Almeto 3.3.6 It solved my problems that sound similar to what is described above. Best of luck

You can download it here:
http://virtualcoder.co.uk/temp/Amleto3.3.6.zip

2create
08-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Hi, I emailed Steve Moody and he was kind enough to send me this link to Almeto 3.3.6 It solved my problems that sound similar to what is described above. Best of luck

You can download it here:
http://virtualcoder.co.uk/temp/Amleto3.3.6.zip

Steve is a star, very helpful. Amleto 3.3.6 has solved all my issues. Buffers come out great too!

calilifestyle
08-14-2014, 03:07 PM
I have a OT question, kind of. Does this still work with EC2.