PDA

View Full Version : "Add Particle Emitter" box and other things don't show up

Sebasvideo
02-02-2014, 11:13 PM
I think I messed up something in my Lightwave installation, but I have no idea how, if I did.

In Layout, in the items tab, when I go to Dynamic Obj and choose Particle, nothing happens. I don't get the "Add particle emitter" dialog. The "particle" item in the menu is not grayed out. If I go to the FX tools tab and click on the "Add Emitter" button, it highlights blue when I click on it, but the box doesn't show up. Clicking on the Hypervoxels and Fiber FX buttons has the same result.

I know this was working a few days ago because I was watching Dan Ablan's video from the LW 11 course on Hypervoxels and I got the particle emitter box just fine. I don't know what could I have done to mess it up. I googled this but all I could find was an old result about someone who had the item not showing up on the menu. I even rebooted the computer just in case, but it's still not showing. I initially thought it was what happens sometimes, that a popup dialog ends up in a monitor that's turned off, but my three monitors are on and the box still doesn't show.

Any idea of what this could be?

Greenlaw
02-03-2014, 02:45 AM
That happened to me only a couple of weeks ago--ParticleFX and HyperVoxel panels would not show up. I overwrote my configs with a backup and that fixed it. If you don't have a backup of your 'good' config files you may need to blow away your current configs and re-add your plug-ins. After doing that, reset your menus/buttons just to be sure. (Once you get everything going again, remember to back up your configs.)

Hope this works for you.

G.

Sebasvideo
02-03-2014, 07:00 AM
That happened to me only a couple of weeks ago--ParticleFX and HyperVoxel panels would not show up. I overwrote my configs with a backup and that fixed it. If you don't have a backup of your 'good' config files you may need to blow away your current configs and re-add your plug-ins. After doing that, reset your menus/buttons just to be sure. (Once you get everything going again, remember to back up your configs.)

Thanks for the advice. Now, I have lots of .cfg files, not only inside the config folder but outside, should I just delete every single .cfg file inside the 11.6.1 folder?

zardoz
02-03-2014, 07:15 AM
do you have two screens? check the layout configs for window settings...I don't know where are the settings for these windows, but I had this problem a few times and these windows were showing outside the screen areas...maybe we should have a button to reset windows position

Sebasvideo
02-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Nevermind, I found in the LW 11 where it says to delete all .cfg files and that took care of the problem. I would just like to know what caused it in the first place.

Greenlaw
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I think it's just a random corruption that can be caused by any number of things. The most likely situation is if LightWave crashes while it's quitting because that's when it updates the configs for any changes you may have made. There are a couple of different things you can do to prevent this problem.

1. Set your config files to Read Only.

or

2. Back up your good config files so you can simply replace the configs files you suspect have become corrupted.

I recommend the second one because dealing with Read Only configs can become a hassle, especially when you intentionally want to change the configs. Read Only might be a reasonable option for a render farm's LW configs though--use your judgement for what's best for your situation.

FYI, the relevant configs in this situation are LW11-XX.cfg (Layout) and LWEXT11-XX.cfg (plug-ins list), but I normally replace LWM11-XX.cfg (Modeler), LWHUB11-XX.ext, and LWMASTERS11.cfg as well, just to be safe.

G.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, remember to quit and relaunch LightWave whenever you intentionally change or update your configs, as LightWave writes the changes on quit.

bobakabob
02-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Good advice there, Greenlaw... Easily overlooked. After spending valuable time customising LW menus, getting all the tools you use in one place and plugins installed, a simple backup is just a couple of clicks away.

Sebasvideo
02-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I just chose the .newtek folder and did the send to > compressed folder so I don't have to worry about each single file.

I noticed that in the past couple of days Layout was crashing a lot when I closed it. Perhaps this was because I was going through the additional content from 11.0. 11.5 and 11.6 and opening scenes and closing Layout after briefly taking a look at them. I did this because it was easier than Shift+N and dragging the next scene file onto Layout, although I did that for some too. I'm guessing all this launching and closing perhaps messed it up.

Which is the cfg file that saves the keyboard shortcuts? I have only one for now, but as I learn LW I'm sure I'll setup several more.