PDA

View Full Version : Tool?: "Blowtorch" -- possible feature request, aka "Soften" or "Melt"

jeric_synergy
02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Do we have a tool that will soften or melt SLIGHTLY the sharp edges of a mesh?

I was looking into the "cheese" thread and such a tool would be really handy for this kind of soft-edged geometry.

prometheus
02-03-2014, 04:03 AM
isnīt smooth doing that?

zardoz
02-03-2014, 07:17 AM
isn't that what rounder or chanfer does? to smooth edges you will need additional geometry...or subpatch your mesh

jeric_synergy
02-03-2014, 01:08 PM
I knew I shoulda uploaded a test object....

(about the filename: that's how I name temporary objects I don't care about....)

re: SMOOTH: not really the same thing. Basically I want SHARP EDGES to be 1) rounded and 2) shortened. Repeated applications of "Blowtorch" should result in a spherical blob, although a GRAVITY parameter would be a great idea. EG, 'Gravity' set to "-1" would result in a puddle at a user designated altitude.*

BTW, if you crank SMOOTH up it goes nuts, or even if you just repeatedly apply it with working (but maybe high) values. wuwt?

*better make that "Gravity set to 0/-1/0", for maximum flexibility. Not sure how you'd set non-horizontal 'floors', but 95% of the time you could use "Floor=0/0/0".

jeric_synergy
02-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm going to expand my question from, "Do WE have a tool..." to "Does ANYBODY (any program) have a 'Blowtorch' tool?"

richhelvey
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
RealFlow? Kinda... Fill your object with particles, then you'd most likely have to write a script that will change certain parameters, maybe just viscosity, to make parts of it flow.
Also seems like a tool something like ZBrush should have

spherical
02-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Do we have a tool that will soften or melt SLIGHTLY the sharp edges of a mesh?

I was looking into the "cheese" thread and such a tool would be really handy for this kind of soft-edged geometry.

How about Dpont's DP Kit Edge? Doesn't change the geo, just looks like it does. Call it a non-destructive workflow.

jeric_synergy
02-03-2014, 05:59 PM
I thought about that, but my only experience, ~2 years back(?), was problematic. Considering how fast Denis fixes things, I should definitely look again.

And I'd still want a geometry workflow, because why not?

I thought I recalled something, meta-something?, that pretty much did it: if you applied repeatedly your mesh just turned into a sphere (not Spherize). Can't call it up though....

richhelvey
02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
meta-something?.

metaform+?

It basically does the same as converting to subDs, then freezing.

jeric_synergy
02-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Yeah, that isn't it, dang.

JoePoe
02-04-2014, 08:49 AM
As far as a puddles go.... there is TrueMelt (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueMelt) (watch Erikals' vid on PG_melt (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pg_melt/), basically the same thing, but PG is only 32bit).

Combined with a couple morphs it could give a decent result.

Also. how about the new Cage Deformer from 3rdPowers.com? The skirt manipulation section in the demo is interesting.

prometheus
02-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that isn't it, dang.

to bad that you canīt recall it, you might think that one of the two metaform tools should do it, canīt see any other meta tool available nativly anyway.

the difference between subdivide/metaform and metaform plus is this sort of...
subdivide metaform letī you choose from facet which only divides the geometry straight, or smooth or metaform, and with smooth and metaform you can choose max smooth angle so it donīt metaform smooth
it too much..depending on what you want, and thereīs also a fractal value to add noise to the mesh so it gives deformations suitable for rock for example, and lastly..this tool can not divide to triīs and you have
to repeat the tool to make every subdivision.

The metaform plus do not have any option for facet or fractalize or smoothing angle, it does however have an option to use triīs when subdividing, and you have the option to set subdivision levels at once by a numeric
slider which in case of the subdivide metaform you canīt.
now letīs hope someone merges these two metaform tools in to one, and preferably another check box tool to merge would be merge tris, in such case if doable we will have reduced three tools to one tool:)

Cant help you figure out what tool you are looking for though jeric.
Edit...the merge triīs might be best to have seperate too, for editing existing geometry of course.

Michael

3DGFXStudios
02-04-2014, 09:42 AM
What you want sounds like a voxel paint smoothing tool like you have in 3D coat etc. But smoothing mesh in a nice way would be really hard I think

JohnMarchant
02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
LWCAD can do this as well.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Very interesting, thanks fellas. Yeah, no doubt it'd be mathematically challenging (I'd guess): what it sort of needs is to detect "thin" volumes, penninsulas and isthmuses if you will, and withdraw them towards the bulk of the VOLUME (with possible parameters for 'gravity'). Don't know how one would even start.

The "meta-" memory is probably just a red herring -- pls disregard.

SMOOTH has never seemed all that useful to me-- I'm probably using it incorrectly. :sigh: