PDA

View Full Version : Why you should report/Fogbugz crashes: encouraging reports

jeric_synergy
01-31-2014, 11:21 AM
So I found a 'new' way to crash LWM, and I'll be reporting it later today, but I wanted to encourage everyone to report CRASHES religiously. CRASHES are more important than more subjective 'bugs', because they are easier to perceive, if repeatable, and they reveal a significant weakness in the code.

A goal should be that it is IMPOSSIBLE to CRASH an application through ANY user action.) Maybe nothing happens, or the wrong thing happens, but the application should not CRASH.

The crashing bug I found was in trying to Rail Extrude a non-polygonized point in LWM (I'll verify this behaviour later, it did it twice, polygonized point worked fine). This is a series of valid operations that result in LWM locking up (or so I believe). This kind of thing is, IMO, always fixable, even if it is just an ugly hack that checks for that particular case. However, I suspect that this MAY point to some subtle weakness in the code that, when addressed, will have multiple benefits for other tools besides just Rail Extrude.

And that last is why I'm encouraging people to submit CLEAR, WELL DEFINED reports with SUPPORTING FILES to the Fogbugz system-- every little brick we can supply to the devs will help them build a better Lightwave.

akaracquel
02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
How can I turn off that "Do you want to create a crash report?" pop-up window, permanently?

...problem with emails using port 465? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tranimatronic
02-03-2014, 04:28 PM
yeah... it's unfortunate, but to me the first crash bug should be "The crash report window crashes"
I have yet to get it to work.....

akaracquel
02-03-2014, 05:25 PM
...I just tried to do something on FogBugz and it scared me ...a lot :cry: I still feel scared ..a lot ...it was my first time ...but I tried :cry: :cry: :cry:
The drop-down menu was too overwhelming ...selected "other" ...didn't bother submitting email address or build number, it hurt too much. :cry:

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicView&sTicket=68288_r0tuqqbe

jeric_synergy
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
I thought you Aussies were tough. :jam:

akaracquel
02-03-2014, 06:06 PM
A few straws short of posting a scathing musical request on the subject and demanding they pay you some more 'ommage :D

Tranimatronic
02-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm sure its not like this, but I now have a mental picture of Newtek-HQ bug fixing department with a bunch of bored people sighing and staring into space and a "DAYS SINCE LAST BUG" sign set to 1465

jeric_synergy
02-03-2014, 11:38 PM
.... and demanding they pay you some more 'ommage :D
"They"?

Is 'ommage redeemable in a grocery store? 8~ :stumped:

The good news is Deuce was able to replicate my last two bugs, so they are officially in the queue. WoooHoo! :rock:

akaracquel
02-04-2014, 12:25 AM
http://www.slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/emoticons/omm.gif :thumbsup: