PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk to Start RENTING their software (Maya, Max)

robertoortiz
01-31-2014, 08:01 AM
Note: It is an OPTION, not THE ONLY ONE. For now.

Quote:
"1. About Autodesk Software Rental Plans

1.1 What are Autodesk software rental plans?
A software rental plan is a new purchasing option that allows you to license Autodesk desktop software on a short-term basis to meet a variety of business and budget considerations, such as taking on finite projects, or hiring temporary staff. Customers who purchase rental plans receive similar benefits to customers who purchase perpetual licenses with Autodesk® Subscription. These benefits include basic support, access to the latest software and product enhancements and in some cases, access to select cloud services.

1.2 Why is Autodesk introducing rental plans?
Autodesk is introducing rental plans in response to growing customer demand. With the introduction of rental plans, you have greater flexibility and choice for how to access Autodesk software. Now you have two ways to purchase: you can buy a traditional perpetual license or pay as you go with a rental plan. It’s your choice.
"

http://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/morechoice?src=OMSE&mktvar002=593513
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22003862&linkID=14002998

50one
01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/3S49/run-to-the-hills/image.png

GandB
01-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Can't afford $195/month. I'll pass.

cresshead
01-31-2014, 01:43 PM
not intended for freelancers as the price is so high...but for studios needing to bump up the seat count on a project looks like a good option

UnCommonGrafx
01-31-2014, 01:50 PM
I don't begrudge them their colossal position: they've worked for it. Their programs are kings of the crop.
I see this as an interesting moment in time since these apps are holding more value than it seems the flint and flame division are. I find that phenomenal. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems that way.

In my own way, I do see this as a boon to freelance-wannabees when a group decides to make something happen. This puts the price well within their individual reaches, with the presumption they have some kind of income/support to speak of. At least for a time.
Time to do the effects? Rent for a month to complete all the work that can be done, 24/7 operations.

I can see overly fiduciary minded bosses following this model, as well.

Dodgy
01-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Taking the mick again... $195 US dollars, but in Australia $325 (which is $285 US) so an extra 90 dollars, almost half again, for not being in the US...

JonW
01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Taking the mick again... $195 US dollars, but in Australia $325 (which is $285 US) so an extra 90 dollars, almost half again, for not being in the US...

The software from all these companies has a longer wire to travel through to get to this part of the world!

I am sure there are a lot of people using software only every now & then.

Over the years I didn't actually use Lightwave that much as 3d was only part of my work. The actually real usage for work is scattered on a very irregular basis over the year. If you add up the actual days I used it for work, it's not that many days. I often did a physical model & 3d, so swapped between the two when I needed a break from the other.

If renting software for a short period I would now need to knock out the 3d. Then get onto the other work. Then pray that the customer doesn't come back for a few minor changes.

spherical
01-31-2014, 03:57 PM
When I first read the thread title, I went: "This is nothing new." And it isn't. Heh, more creative corporate bullspeak. All it is is a more expensive pricing scheme for subscriptions; without having to come up with the scratch for a full seat up front, you'll end up paying for it anyway sooner or later. Pretty much like selling drugs. Then there's the hilarious: "perpetual license through subscription". Huh? Don't pay their protection money and you get to essentially buy another seat, without actually getting another seat. At least the software does keep working after you refuse to cough up, unlike CC, so it is perpetual in that sense. Seems to me that the overall "popular demand" would be to stop this approach altogether; but we'll just ignore that on e for now.

GandB
02-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm just wondering how relevant they're going to be in a few years, with all the decent competition from companies that DON'T try to force you into any "scheme". Then there's the always improving Blender as well.