PDA

View Full Version : New Version 12

millsron
01-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Any news on Version 12?

Greenlaw
01-30-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm not expecting to hear news about new products from LW3DG until around Siggraph time (late summer). Even then, there's no guarantee of an announcement about 12. Just have to wait and see.

G.

hrgiger
01-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Yes, it will be coming out a few years before LightWave 13.

On a more serious note, what Greenlaw said. Siggraph exhibition this year will be August 12th through August 14th and will be held in Vancouver. If there's any news about LW 12, it probably will be then. But there's always the possibility that they might not be planning on LW12 news this year.

spherical
01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Especially if they have been listening to us on the number of things that have gone un-fixed, un-loved and/or in serious need of development.

jeric_synergy
01-31-2014, 12:12 PM
I no longer crave radical new workflows-- I just want the EXISTING stuff to be bullet-proof.

spherical
01-31-2014, 08:23 PM
+1*3

Oedo 808
02-01-2014, 12:01 AM
I no longer crave radical new workflows-- I just want the EXISTING stuff to be bullet-proof.

How about bullet-proof, radical new workflows that replace the existing stuff?

jeric_synergy
02-01-2014, 01:22 AM
"New" just means "problems we don't even know about".

Oedo 808
02-01-2014, 02:51 AM
"New" just means "problems we don't even know about".

"New" also means solutions we don't even know about."

hrgiger
02-01-2014, 03:03 AM
LightWave still has some catch up to do in key areas. I don't think the best approach is simply to fix older outdated workflows. I would welcome new problems if it offered new and more modern solutions.

DogBoy
02-01-2014, 03:39 AM
LightWave still has some catch up to do in key areas. I don't think the best approach is simply to fix older outdated workflows. I would welcome new problems if it offered new and more modern solutions.

+1

If all we got in LW12 was fixed stuff, there would be cause to rename it LW11.FIXED ;)

vncnt
02-01-2014, 04:05 AM

How about extending existing features that were left untouched for a decade?

Keys & character animation is the first area that I can think of.

hrgiger
02-01-2014, 05:18 AM

In the general sentiment I agree with you vnct, absolutely. Ive been saying for a while that I would love to see a release of LW which focused solely on fixing things that are broken or unfinished. But animation is one of those key areas where things dont need fixing, they need re-evaluated or replaced.

Kuzey
02-01-2014, 05:39 AM
+1

If all we got in LW12 was fixed stuff, there would be cause to rename it LW11.FIXED ;)

Haha..I'm getting a new bug now...once a render finishes and the image pops up in the render viewer, it's all white (seems to happen with large renders 2400x3200)..save to disk and it's fine. Render viewer has been so buggy in 11.+ cycles..they fixed one bug..but still :)

50one
02-01-2014, 06:41 AM

+1 and the real camera presets and ability to edit those presets, nodal particles and updates to HV would be great too:)

vncnt
02-01-2014, 07:48 AM
In the general sentiment I agree with you vnct, absolutely. Ive been saying for a while that I would love to see a release of LW which focused solely on fixing things that are broken or unfinished. But animation is one of those key areas where things dont need fixing, they need re-evaluated or replaced.

I see a lot of potential, even without restructuring.
Restructuring involves a lot of redoing the same.

It all starts with defining a goal.
Then build something to reach that goal.
Evaluate the result and listen for new goals and possibilities.
Every programmer knows: the more you give them, the more they ask.
We should encourage this process to let things evolve.

As an example, my Legato plugin.
The basic idea is introducing a more advanced marker/region system.
And not stopping there, but do something useful with it.
In this case: a library system.
Then a system to actually use the library items.
Then a system to select a render region.
Then a system to store render related parameterz per render region.
Then a system to store render time results.
And calculate a render time prediction to meet deadlines.

This all started with just one idea.
New ideas spawned from this.

It's "just" Lscript but if it is useful it will inspire others.
And if it's too slow in some ways, it's not too late for refining and restructuring.

In that case, at least you know it's worth the time.

m.d.
02-01-2014, 07:53 AM
How about bullet-proof, radical new workflows that replace the existing stuff?

Best way to go if they can do it.
Lightwave needs to leapfrog the competition instead of playing catch-up

That being said....on a more reasonable expectation would be a unification of nodal workflows...with communication between all nodal systems...this would be very powerful, and could overcome a number of LW shortfalls with powerful customizable tool via advanced networks.

Houdini at its core is a powerful nodal network....most of the advanced tools are just prebuilt networks

vncnt
02-01-2014, 08:37 AM

That being said....on a more reasonable expectation would be a unification of nodal workflows...with communication between all nodal systems...this would be very powerful, and could overcome a number of LW shortfalls with powerful customizable tool via advanced networks.

Houdini at its core is a powerful nodal network....most of the advanced tools are just prebuilt networks

Playing catch-up would be fine with me for a v12.

Nicolas Jordan
02-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Newtek opted not to have a booth in Vancouver last time at Siggraph so I will be very surprised if they decide to have a booth this year in Vancouver. We will see but I predict a announcement about LW12 later this year.

Oedo 808
02-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Aye, and aside from anything new and groovy, I'd reaaally like to see the same polygon handling that Chronosculpt has, in Modeler. I've tried working on some heaver meshes recently and while tumbling is fine, try to do anything and there's more jerking than boy's dormitory.

geo_n
02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
New liquid sim for lw 12 please. :D

Tranimatronic
02-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Siggraph exhibition this year will be August 12th through August 14th and will be held in Vancouver. If there's any news about LW 12,

Assuming of course that LW3DG turn up. Last Vancouver Siggraph was a no-show

allabulle
02-03-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't think their no-show at Vancouver had anything to do with the city, but rather the situation or state of things at NewTek at the time. It was a time where not much was to be gained attending Siggraph, Vancouver or not. I could be horribly wrong, of course.