PDA

View Full Version : MDD question (playing a portion)

ninok5
01-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi guys,

I created a bullet sim w/ about 10 deforming bodies. I used the multi baker to make the MDDs and multi loader to load them back on in a different scene.

The problem is that I need to play back a portion of the MDDs (after the items settle, do their thing). I can offset the animation, but cant seem to figure out how to choose a starting frame?

The only workaround seems to be to time remap the animation to play super fast (ie skip) the first few frames, then play at normal speed, but this seems tedious? Or, perhaps start the animation in negative frames so that it settles and then use frame offset, but either way it does not seem efficient. Ideally you could select a range.

Am I missing something, or is that the only way?

Thanks in advance!

Greenlaw
01-30-2014, 02:50 PM
I know if you use MDD Ponter, you can easily remap the time using an Envelope to play from frame x to x of your MDD. For example, if you want only frames 25 to 55 of a 0-100 MDD sequence, and you want the animation to start at frame 3 of your current scene, just enable Mapped Time at the bottom of the panel, open the Envelope and key the sequence the way you want to play it. It works like most time remappers--you can specify any frame at any tmie, hold frames using Step, play backwards, whatever you need.

I'm not exactly sure how to do this with the native MD Player--as you may have found, the Envelope in Offset doesn't work that way--I don't think it's meant to be used as a Time Remapper, at least not in the way I understand it. But MDD Pointer's Envelope may work more like you might expect. It's been a while since I used PointOven's Player but I think it works the same way as Pointer.

G.

Greenlaw
01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
On more note: MDD Pointer is designed to load only the current frame's data to speed up network rendering and RAM overhead; however, as a result, this can also degrade user interactivity.

If you need to regain the interactivity, just rebake the MDD Pointer remapped MDD to a new MDD file, and then load the new MDD using the regular MD Reader.

Hope this helps.

Greenlaw
01-30-2014, 03:01 PM
I wish somebody would write a single MDD player that simply does all of these things. :)

G.

Greenlaw
01-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Oh, in case you don't know where to get MDD Pointer, it's part of Denis Pontonnier's Motion Designer tools which you can get here:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/MDD_Pointer.html

Remember to tip the programmer. Denis' tools can be a job saver and a real stress-reducer. :)

G.