PDA

View Full Version : Parts to layers ?

jeremydk
01-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Hi

I have an object made of 357 seperated boxes. I want each box in its own layer (yes, 357 layers)
Is there any automated way i can do this ?
I made a manual test with 120 layers and that took some time :)

thanks
Jeremy

JoePoe
01-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Still not a one click solution, but this should make it a whole lot easier. You can move many at one time.... you just need to select a poly on each box.

Connected Poly to Layer (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/connected-poly-to-layer/)

jeremydk
01-29-2014, 04:11 PM
thanks. It's still pretty awesome compared to the manual solution.
It sounds like the business. I will give it a go after a little nap.

XswampyX
01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
It is a one click solution....?

Don't select any polys and just click Connected to Lyrs.

JoePoe
01-29-2014, 06:03 PM

Ha! The look on my Avatar says it all.... Never even tried that.
Maybe because I've only used it for a handful of things that I have to pick out of a pack.
But over 350.... what the heck, throw caution to the wind.... Maybe it don't mattah!
Hmmmm, but I guess the "no select" distribution would do it in order of creation (point order) 8~.... possibly just the ticket.

Thanks Swampy..... I just got lazier :)

jeremydk
01-30-2014, 01:56 AM
Thanks to both of you.
It worked briliantly. It distributed the blocks out in about 10sec.
There is a bug though in Modeler. After this i did Center Pivot on all the layers at once but it messed up, but if i manually choose 50 it works....Anyway, small price to pay :)

prometheus
01-30-2014, 04:47 AM

Didnīt know, or missed that one ...or forgot it, itīs good in such case to learn something new everyday:)
:stumped:or I think I actually told someone this myself, but not using it so often that I forgot it...I need a cup of coffe:)

Michael