PDA

View Full Version : What are the best Animation Interfaces in the market? (2D/3D)

robertoortiz
01-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Hi to all, I am curious.
What do you consider to be the best interfaces out there for animation?
An I mean apps for 2D and 3D animation.

Note I am not asking what is the most popular, I am curious to see what you guys consider to be the best.

This conversation came to mend when we swtiched from Flash to Toonboom for 2d animation at work.

It was for us like moving out of the stone age.
I am looking forward to your comments.
-R

ernpchan
01-29-2014, 01:22 PM
I found messiah's Armature system to be very impressive.

Rayek
01-31-2014, 09:33 AM
For 2d work I love the Ik bones system in Anime Studio. AS also has a fully functional curve graph editor, unlike Toonboom that for some inexplicable reason does not, and expects the animator to work with a silly "function editor".

Control rigs are also possible with full constraints and labeling, and poses with a pose library. So a controller bone can control the blinking of an eye, for example, or mouth movement.

*rant start*
And you are correct in saying Flash has become terrible for animation - Adobe really dropped the ball there: at some point Flash was used as one of the standard animation tools for broadcast work, and Adobe did a grand job allowing Flash's animation tools to completely disintegrate. The latest version (CC) is a complete joke. Even free and open source tool like Synfig seem to be a better choice now.

Ahem. Rant's end.

Here's a quick screenshot of a fully rigged character. The character's head can be smoothly "rotated" (up to a point) to automate the head's animation going from looking to the left in 3/4 to looking up, down, and forward, and to the right again. Incredibly useful.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119776&d=1391188004

Netvudu
02-01-2014, 02:20 PM
If a high-end reference is valid, I had the chance to watch the new in-house animation system in Dreamworks, which has completely replaced Maya for all animatorsī workflow there.
Codenamed "PRIMO" (whatever), itīs "merely" a big viewport with a strong OpenGL, to the left side, which allows very easily to add a video to background and make this video "fill" your screen on the frames just before and after your shot, so animators can check how the shot timing works with its previous and aft shots.
To the right side, thereīs just a huge list of parameters with very easily unfolding graph-editor curves per channel to work them.

They have some fancy rigs built into the characters, as is expected, but the animators hardly use all those features. For instance, one of the main animators there told me that even having these fancy facial rig clusters that allow you to select and animate directly on the face, they hardly touch those controls, as they mess with several channels at the same time, and later on itīs a nightmare finding the channel you tweaked. This means 99% of their facial animation is still done using "blendshapes"-like sliders bars.