PDA

View Full Version : Problems with importing EPS and converting it to workable import

Costanel
01-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Hey everyone!

Attached is a EPS file I got from a friend to convert into a 3D-version for printing.
The problem is: when importing it including "Auto AxisDrill" it hangs Modeler. Without this checked it imports it as a lot of polygons on top of eachother, unworkable to reliably convert into a closed 3D model for printing. :/

Can anyone help me tackle this problem or convert this EPS to a workable 3D-form?

Thanks in advance!

JonW
01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Looking at the artwork that imports as "Un Drilled" so to speak. The artwork does not lend itself to be Drilled. I think you will need to clean up the artwork imported as Un Drilled and select the items that need to be Drilled as there is overlapping of lines. If the gaps between the tennis racket strings are holes each will need to be somehow connected to an outside edge. This alone would be problematic & would really need to be done manually.

JoePoe
01-29-2014, 01:38 PM
uh.... workable? This still needs a whole lot of clean up. Especially for printing.

I separated the white (negative space) bits from the eps.
Layers one and two are two imports.... positive and negative. Worked for the most part, but I see a couple trouble areas. I'll leave those up to you. :)
The third layer is them together but they came in with different point positions so a simple merge didn't marry them back together seamlessly.
At least it's a start.

prometheus
01-30-2014, 01:13 AM
You seem to have bad original artwork that just Isnīt appropiate to export out from the beginning.
In illustrator the object consist of compund paths and overlaying paths some parts that are white and supposed to be where the drill is to be, they actually consists of a filled path themself, and they shouldnīt.
so if you can open in illustrator or talk to them who made the original, they should edit it there and simply remove the text path, and let the sorrounding path do the job for the text.

in the area next to the racket and within the figure, they consists of both filled path and empty drills, first so the filled paths that is white must be deleted and if there arenīt any cut out beneath it, then you need to use pathfinder and subtract the area
to get a true hole in there...lotīs of messy things in there, and also some line paths that arenīt needed, unfortunatly this happens when it isnīt layed out as artwork to send for 3d printing, rather then a mix that works ok for paper printing.
All the stuff that is white shouldnīt consists of filled paths, they should only be shaped by the surrounding filled paths..I tried to see if I could clean it up, but itīs messy and it would take some time I guess...so better to send it
to the creators and let them rework it:)

Michael

Costanel
02-03-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't really understand your description, but I've got another version. Would this be any better?

It's starting to look like it would be easier to model is from scratch than using this .eps. :/

prometheus
02-03-2014, 01:13 PM
I don't really understand your description, but I've got another version. Would this be any better?

It's starting to look like it would be easier to model is from scratch than using this .eps. :/

That file you posted now...that canīt be opened in cs3 which I have, and it canīt be opened in lightwave either....so why did they save it out in newer format when they saved it in correct format before?
Canīt help you on this file anyway, unless you can open it in later cs versions and save it in AI format compatible with cs3, do not save in eps.

Michael

prometheus
02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Ah...managed to place the eps, then embed it to acess the vectors, but itīs still not done correctly, it consistst of filled paths in places where it should be none...see those area I moved out from the parts where they should be empty/drilled spaces..and when I do drag those areas out, they are solid green with the black stroked path on top of it...it shouldnīt be that way.
they should clean it up with path finder...and some manual correction.

I actually did some cleaning of it getting it almost correct, in Illustrator, but not sure if I discarded it or if itīs still ok..I was just fiddling at that time.

I notice more not correct things in there now...the white ring that is seperating the green middle from the blue ring part..it consist of a filled stroke, and thatīs not proper, it should be completly empty..otherwise
you would get a weird path exported to lightwave.

everything that should be hollow in lightwave..that is the partīs that is white in illustator..they can not consist of any path in illustrator, they should be represented as a negative form/hollow space constructed from the other parts in color, the green ring ..blue ring etc...now of course text isnīt done like that or other shapes, so that has to be boolean from the other shapes..and that is done with
the illustrators pathfinder and subtract.

Do you have illustrator?
otherwise..you got to tell them how to bake gingerbread:) but with negative forms.

Dexter2999
02-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Took a little while, I'm no expert. But I took a stab at cleaning it up.

JonW
02-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Plans I get from architects are so messy with lines on top of lines on top of more crap hidden by further crap. It is quicker to either put the plan in the background as an image and trace over it. Or grab the points you need or that are of some use & make your own new polygons. Then you can put them straight into their own layer ready for the next step.

It is often quicker just to get stuck it and redraw it the way you need it. Your deadline is approaching fast & the drawing is going back & forth & you can't actually get on and do any work.

I get it all the time so I simply redraw the object because it is usually pretty obvious what they want.

I want the job finished so I can get paid so I am quite happy just to get on & fix the problems myself.

Your original outlines were ok, you just need to manually make each part of the overall object & stick it in a layer for the next step.

It should not take more than an hour to get it all sorted out so you can get on an send them an invoice.

Costanel
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone! You've given me some very useful advice.

I'm now trying to boolean my way through, the LWCad-Boolean tool works perfectly. :)
It takes some trial and error, but I'm slowly getting the results I was looking for. What is a good way of checking whether the model is truly ready for 3D-printing?

JonW
02-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Statistics, remove 1 point & 2 point polys.

Unify Polys.

Merge Points & Weld corners etc.

& LWCad has a great tool for fixing polys.

Do these things at every stage of construction to maintain clean objects.

& finally LWCad has a tool for calculating volume, it won't calculate volume if the object in not perfect & quite often crashes Modeler! SAVING YOUR OBJECT BEFORE USING THIS TOOL IS A MUST!

It may have a problem if the object gets too complicated, so you could calculate volume on some objects before making your complete object.