PDA

View Full Version : Hello to everyone...

rozermartin28
01-29-2014, 05:41 AM
I have currently joined this Forum. I am interested in this Forum site. I am Tech Support Eng and this kind of Forum will help me lot for gathering information regarding viruses and computer problem.

OnlineRender
01-29-2014, 07:02 AM
I have currently joined this Forum. I am interested in this Forum site. I am Tech Support Eng and this kind of Forum will help me lot for gathering information regarding viruses and computer problem.

what kinda forum is this ?

jasonwestmas
01-29-2014, 07:03 AM
You talk like a bot.

VermilionCat
01-29-2014, 07:13 AM
This is hilarious!

50one
01-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Buy Nike shoes, Dolce&Gabbana watches, And1, Adidas.

jeric_synergy
01-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Buy, consume, die.

djwaterman
01-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Don't feed.

SBowie
01-29-2014, 11:42 AM
This may well be bogus, but as there are no commercial links or promotional text in the OP, critics might just want to hold off until there's actually something unambiguous and objectionable.

Nangleator
01-29-2014, 11:59 AM
A google of this exact phrase, "I have currently joined this Forum. I am interested in this Forum site." reveals four different forums containing the same post.

Incidentally, my sister earned so much money working on this site, that the Earth tilted off its axis due to the gravitational influence of so much cash under her mattress, using this one weird trick.

SBowie
01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
A google of this exact phrase, "I have currently joined this Forum. I am interested in this Forum site." reveals four different forums containing the same post.I was aware of that. Still, at this point there really hasn't been any inappropriate behavior to complain about.

art
01-29-2014, 02:10 PM
if you google rozermartin28 you'll see several more posts like that.There is still 2.31% chance that this is a real (and a bit clueless) person.

SBowie
01-30-2014, 06:04 AM
if you google rozermartin28 you'll see several more posts like that.There is still 2.31% chance that this is a real (and a bit clueless) person.As I said when Nangleator posted the same thing, I was aware of that. As suspicious as this is, if we start banning people because they have written the same words elsewhere, it's going to get pretty lonely around here.

I don't make a practice of explaining these things, but for what it's worth, I believe firmly that moderation needs to be even-handed. For example: in recent months, we endured a blizzard of new membership applications from Vietnam. These were almost all from spambots. You didn't see any posts, though, did you. That's because I vet each new member manually, running them through a series of tests beyond the usual 'human validation' (someone sneaks by me once a year, on average). It would be tempting to just blacklist the country, or dump them all unceremoniously. Doing so would have saved me a lot of time. But what about the poor schmuck who just happens to be the legitimate LW hobbyist in Hanoi, or Saigon's new TriCaster reseller? Should he get the same treatment? I think not, though trying to ensure fairness involves a lot of personal effort - several times a day, and seven days a week.

While trying to honor the spirit of 'innocent until proven guilty', I do take other steps when a particular membership request seems likely to be shady, but where some small doubt remains - including keeping an eye on the first posts (which, when dealing with spammers, can be quite long in coming, patient little bots that they sometimes are). That posts from non-English speaking countries can be phrased awkwardly or don't adhere to the usual 'social norms' may add weight to the suspicion but, again, there are no commercial links or promotional text in the OP. In this as in other dealings, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. So, there being no harm done to date, I opted to let the first post stand.

Some may feel this is too lenient. And I may feel this is much ado about nothing. We enjoy a relatively spam free forum. We generally manage to do so without offending international guests even inadvertently. In part, that's because we do not shoot from the hip in matters like this. In the end, it will come out exactly the same as if we'd never bothered with this discussion. C'est la vie. :)

Danner
01-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Good to have you on board Steve.

art
01-30-2014, 06:35 AM
In my post I attempted to agree with both sides of argument (maybe the percentage was a bit too low) :)

SBowie
01-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Actually, I think it's probably a bit high. :D

GandB
01-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Looks like a spambot to me as well; although the spammer did a poor job of getting any message or link to a site through. Good to know that's how you handle things, Steve. We do something similar at another company's forum; everyone is on post moderation for a pre-determined time/post count. We vet each and every new post (including those who've been naughty and have been placed back on post moderation), deleting those that are spam or strictly trying to sell something (and banning the account until 2999). It has worked wonders over the years, and most users/members have no real idea as to the multitude of crap that we keep from their sight. It's not a small job, so I know what you go through with this. ;)