PDA

View Full Version : Re-work Surface editor with node based system

ponder_it
11-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Lightwave is limited to one surface name per polygon. There are weight maps, but it not exact enough. A node based surfacing system would be grand.

What I mean by this is, say you have a flat plane of a robot with damage on it. The anisotropic properties of those two things will be different, as well as all their gradient levels. Now I can do a hack and work around this problem but it get real messy and often take major hours unnessarly used up with like 20 point plotted on each gradient. Now if I could assign 2 surfaces to that same polygon with an alpha channel in between them for seperation of the two surfaces that would be grand. Not only would it save major hours but it would be a lot cleaner and weild better results at the end of the day. So this is more about better controll over surfaces. With something like a node based surfacer, You only need to assign one surface to the polygon but you can split it into two with the node, keeping things clean and tidy. Also this would allwo you to assign different plug-in per node giving a greater creative advantage as a whole.

Cheerz

Nemoid
11-19-2003, 08:25 AM
search for Sabre in FLAY.

its an attempt. not powerfull like in Maya and other node based packages , tough

KillMe
11-19-2003, 09:29 AM
an inbuilt sabre or something maybe ameile if i gets the shaders treatment for the next release but it shouldn't replace the old system just work with it or around it if you want it as i find the current surfacing system far nicer than all the other packages

so perhaps a tab int he surface editor that switches you to a node based system but keep the old one there too

ponder_it
11-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Sabre looks like a cool plug for lightwave, but I have 2 problems with it. Something like this in my mind should be done by the manufacturer of the product to ensure connectability and workflow problems are worked out properly. There are always exceptions though. Will Sabre work with multi-processing? The other thing is it's intel only which it may or may not make it to mac, which make it to mac. I've switched over because of 64 bit support, so this is no longer a possibility. Now what I was suggesting is a real interesting proposition that it looks like Sabre doesn't do yet. Seperate the node with alpha channels meaning if you have a 3 point node chain, point 1 would be the base surface, point 2 would be the alpha channel (seperating the two surfaces), and point 3 would be the new surface constraned by the alpha. With this you could re-branch off 1 to 2b and 3b creating something completely different with 2b another alpha and 3b with another surface. With this way of surfacing you could keep things tidy and effecient and if something didn't look right in your render, it would be a simple tweak rether that a re-write of the surface channel. By doing it this way, you do not effect that standard Surface Editor, you'd actuall just be adding a tab on top like the advanced tab or environment tab. You'd now have a node tab. All these things can to some degree be done already, but it's messy and if you have to add more bump per-say you have to re-adjust everything in the surface to accomodate. This is just an ineffecient use of time.

Cheerz

Tesselator
11-27-2003, 11:29 AM
I know a little secret about the not-so-distant future...

I /could/ tell ya... But then I'd have to kill ya. :)

Muahahahahha... I am SOOO loving LW in new and excitting ways. See ya some weeks into the future.

Matt
11-27-2003, 11:35 AM
oooooooooh! LW8 could turn out to be even more amazing than people realise, unless this is a rumour!

KillMe
11-27-2003, 11:38 AM
rumour probability is high

ponder_it
11-27-2003, 11:46 AM
That would be very sweet. I found some kewl new usues with node based system and G2, like localized SSS, I could adjust a skin surface with scattering based on localized skin thickness. Far out huh.

Cheerz

Karmacop
11-28-2003, 02:17 AM
There's always been word that the surface editor would be changed, and I think at the time (months ago) is was just going to be better layering ... I'm sure it will be changed in some way for 8 though.