PDA

View Full Version : B&W image as displacement: Soften borders?

vector
01-27-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm applying a b&W image to a mesh as displacement (just a smiling basic face: circles as eyes and a curve as mouth) but I get too sharp borders. Is there a way to soften this borders without blurring the image?

Dodgy
01-27-2014, 11:23 PM
I take it you mean blur the original image? In the Image editor, apply the Full Precision Blur to the image in the Processing tab, under Add Filter. Then you'll have the original image still crisp, but the displacement can be blurry.

vector
01-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks. But what I would like to know is if there is another way managing the dispkacement options or it depends only of the inage postprocessing

prometheus
01-28-2014, 01:54 AM
Thanks. But what I would like to know is if there is another way managing the dispkacement options or it depends only of the inage postprocessing

dont think there is, and there is no reason that it should be needed, it´s quite easy just to open image editor, add filter full precision blur, you can see the result directly in openGL anyway.
otherwise just copy image and blur it in photoshop.

I think you might be able to blur in the node editor with some functions, maybe otherwise with some dp filter tools...but then again youré over complicating it I think.
actually blurring the image in photoshop is the way to work with the displacement faster, though it requires knowing how much you want to blur, adding the filter slows down
the handling a little as opposed to a directly blurred image.

Michael