PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shrink (LW3dG) test object: what's its problem?

jeric_synergy
01-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Created the attached object to test the native Heat Shrink, but it really doesn't behave very well.

What are the issues w/this object that prevent layer 3 from heatshrinking onto layer 2?

dee
01-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Scale it a bit in x and it should work. Also, a few more subdivisions to the ribbon won't hurt.

jameswillmott
01-28-2014, 04:43 AM
There are issues with scale, if your objects are too small it can miss, try scaling up by 1000% apply HS then scale back down... it's a known issue being worked on.

jeric_synergy
01-28-2014, 08:18 AM
#awayfromlw Ahh, I didn't check my scale, just barged ahead. Will check when I get back to my machine.

Thanks fellas.

Gotta say, Thicken worked a treat! Well done.

JoePoe
01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Also.... Doesn't Heat Shrink work best (and sometimes only) when objects are F2 centered? ... Not just rest on ground centered....

and, just a thought....
Does Heat Shrink get confused on an object with an inner and outer wall such as this vase? Maybe just copy the outside geometry, close it, and then try?

.... but try the F2 thing first. :hey:

jeric_synergy
01-28-2014, 09:33 AM
I tried it w/o thickness first: AFAICT it doesn't make a difference.

:drawling: PERSONALLY, if I were coding Heat Shrink, I would have it center its volume of influence around the bounding box of the background layer, for Sphere Mode at the very least (There's no apparent control to set the center of Sphere Mode or so I remember.) --First iteration tool, I'm sure it'll get better/more full featured.