PDA

View Full Version : Can't use the software as it freezes!

Imagination
01-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi, new user here. I'd like some advice on what I could be doing wrong. Lightwave 11.6 keeps crashing 2 minutes after either loading the modeler or layout. I then have to use task manager to end the process.

I followed the tutorial on how to apply the license and also how to enter license details in layout but it still lock up after a while and I have to use task manager to kill the process.

I'm on Win 7 64bit, 8gb DDR3 Ram, radeon HD 6890 1gb.

Any help would be appreciated. Since the day I bought it I've not managed to use it.

roboman
01-25-2014, 08:13 PM
I had that problem with an older ver of Lightwave. It turned out to be a video driver problem. Updated the driver and no more problem. Worth a try, checking out your drivers for updates..

GoatDude
01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Disable Anti Virus software and see if that helps.

danielkaiser
01-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Could just be a driver problem, start with that. also go ahead and clear you config files see if that helps if not try adjusting the display settings in LW, key press d select GL at the bottom there will be a pull-down > shading method select multitexture shaders do this in both Layout and Modeler.

Historically AMD video cards have not played well with LW the OGL support has been lacking and being that you have an older card you my want to swap it out if you do go for NVIDIA

bobakabob
01-26-2014, 02:36 AM
Unusual to have these problems, Imagination, so persevere. As Daniel kaiser suggested, close LW. Make sure the Hub is also not running. Zap all the .cfg files. These are stored in a LW folder in The Users directory or do a search. If they get corrupted LW will stall. Disable your Antivirus when opening, to test. AVG has been mentioned on this forum as having issues so dump this and install Avast. As an extra step configure Avast to Leave LW, Hub and Modeler alone. You could also try uninstalling LW, cleaning out configs and reinstalling to a custom folder on the root drive. Like Daniel suggests, update video drivers and also configure your options for 3d as there may be a setting not playing well. Good luck!

Imagination
01-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not sure, depends what further testing reveals, but AVG I think was the problem. So far where it would stall and freeze before it doesn't now since adding the lightwave folder to the exceptions list. What that means is that the AVG rootkit scanner, antivirus scanner, real time protection scanner do not interfere with LW at all. Also adding all .exe files within the folder to the exceptions list has had a massive improvement in the responsiveness of LW and the speed at which it does things.

Oh! As a precaution I made sure to delete all .cfg files just incase which seems to have given LW a new lease of life.

Again, thanks for the advice, all good, as it seems for now to have fixed the problem. Much Appreciated...

Regards,

Imagination
01-29-2014, 11:20 PM
This is becoming a nightmare for me to use. I've completely removed AVG Internet security but still more freezes and lock ups. I can't get any work done. Something is messing it all up. I'm trying to locate what the problem is.

Needless to say my moral is low.

bobakabob
01-30-2014, 12:45 AM
Any joy with tech support / contacting your dealer? Is AVG totally uninstalled?
Try disabling the Hub and see if that works. There are threads on the forum about how to do this. Are video drivers updated? Sounds like it might be a hardware issue. Maybe check your hard drive and test your RAM.

Imagination
01-30-2014, 02:22 AM
Thank for the tip bobakabob regarding AVG. It appears that some remnants of it remained even after reboot. I had to use some software dedicated to completely remove avg, which it did. I have been going mad on it to try to make it freeze or crash but so far everything is silky smooth and working fine.

For anyone in a similar situation AVG is the problem. Whatever happened in an update has caused it to dislike Lightwave3d. For security purposes I have downloaded Avast Internet Security, installed it and will more than likely purchase it after the 30 trials runs out. Needless to say Lightwave still runs silky smooth and no freezes or crashes with Avast installed.

Thank You all for your time and help!

BeeVee
01-30-2014, 02:40 AM
Hi,
Glad you got it sorted. I have been using Avast for nine years now (I was amazed that it was so much, but they are the ones that told me :)) and the free version is enough. You don't need the paid version and the fact that it does more also means that it steals more cpu from the all-important LightWave ;)

B

bobakabob
01-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Glad you can enjoy Lightwave now. I can't speak highly enough of Avast, it does its job without taking over your machine. AVG appears to be a bit like Giger's creation, once you make the mistake of bypassing quarantine and installing it's indestructible.

JonW
01-31-2014, 03:53 AM
You are better off with LW running on a standalone computer (not connected to the internet) then there is nothing to slow it down as LW uses every last bit of CPU resources it can get it's hands on. None of my PCs are connected to the internet & none have ever had any AV installed. It just makes life a lot easier.

paulhart
01-31-2014, 11:08 AM
I have been running Lightwave and AVG for years. You may have to go into the Firewall configuration and specifically Add the executables, Layout, Modeler, Hub, to the permissions. I have had to do this with a number of software programs, besides Lightwave, something about the install and whether the permissions get written to the Firewall exceptions rules.
Clean configs are a must, always have been a bit of Achilles heel for Lightwave.
Yes!! Update the video drivers. These are more often the culprit than people ever expect. Remember, everything has to come through the video drivers to arrive on your screen.