PDA

View Full Version : Xfrog Tree and Reference Image Type Renders All Wrong

JBT27
01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Well there are three hours I'll never get back. Loaded an Xfrog tree into Layout ready for some instancing. I had a scene that used Gradient Backdrop temporarily, and some fog. The trees, in VPR and rendered, had bright patches all over them, and on looking closer I realised I could see the Gradient Backdrop through patches in the trees, and through the background landscape mesh, bizarrely. In the end, I after trying a load of other stuff, I switched off the Gradient Backdrop, and that cured it. Using either a Backdrop plain colour, or Gradient Backdrop, will generate this odd render. I switched off the Gradient Backdrop, dropped the Backdrop to black and added a skydome hemisphere - that worked OK.

I noticed the specular and transparency maps for this Xfrog tree are listed as Image Type - Reference, in the Image Editor, whereas the colour maps are Stills - not noticed that before, but presume this is most of the problem - instances of the colour images?

I'll make some proper greyscale images and replace the references - or try to - tried that earlier and it made things worse, so it seemed ... could have been me.

Does anyone recognise and know this problem? Never seen it before.

Thanks.

Julian.

JBT27
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
I replaced the specular and transparency maps with actual stills, opposed to the 'reference' images reported by Image Editor, but which are not present in the Images folder. Made no difference - still getting the see-through leaf plates with Gradient Backdrop or Backdrop Colour set to anything but black. Bit of a head banger. That's not instanced either, just the tree on its own.

Odd - could be a bug - have to do more tests - deadlines and all that ...

Julian.

spherical
01-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Crank up your Ray Recursion Limit and see what happens. Trees eat up a lot of rays.

JBT27
01-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Crank up your Ray Recursion Limit and see what happens. Trees eat up a lot of rays.

Yep - that was it! Thanks very much. The default of 6 did not cut it for this one - 36 does.

Julian.

spherical
01-23-2014, 05:06 PM
You're welcome. Happy to help. That had me going for a while, some time ago. Was "seeing" through a stone building to the sky, but only behind the Vue trees that I had imported. Finally hit on Ray Limit as the, well, limiting factor. Didn't have to go as high as 36, but that would depend upon the tree model, more than anything else, due to the number of polys "stacked up" in a line along the ray from the camera to the background.

JonW
01-23-2014, 11:50 PM
Another option so you don't have to turn up RRL to the extreme. Is make the leafs solid & turn off self shadowing in Layout. If the leafs are too bright put 5 - 10% the leafs in another layer so they are shadowing.

cbuhh
01-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Use transparency map as a clip map in object properties. But it works only for objects or layers, not for surfaces. Therefore it is necessary to separate polygons leaves from the rest of the model as a separate layer and use the clip map for them. This will not increase the number of rays.

JBT27
01-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Thanks very much everyone - much appreciated. A little more prep I think before laying out the forests - I may switch to the clip map approach - Xfrog models are ready set up with transparency mapping, so in truth, I was perhaps being a bit lazy! That'll teach me. Thanks for the 5/10% shadow leaves layer tip too.

Julian.

Sebasvideo
04-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I just downloaded a bunch of free trees from the Xfrog website and I'm having this same problem, even worse. The tree that has the code CL20 is pretty much useless, all the leaves look like whatever color you select the background to, single or gradient. However, raising the ray recursion limit or all other render settings really high doesn't change a thing for me. Still, this is a problem only some of the trees have, since some others are perfectly fine.

JBT27
04-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Using the transparency mapping, ramping up the ray recursion was how I got rid of the see-through problem - so it does work. Sounds like something else is wrong here, though it does seem a lot like the ray recursion problem again. In the Image Editor, are you seeing images loaded as Reference Image type, out of interest? In the end, I went with the clip-mapping method - saved a lot of trouble.

Julian.

Sebasvideo
04-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes, one of the leaves for the transparency channel is listed as reference in the image editor, but it cannot be changed to any other type. I'm just going to keep looking for other free models, I don't have time to keep fiddling with this and fix it.

JBT27
04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Yep - I chewed up more time on this than I could afford - hassle. I'm still not sure what the Reference Image type is, other than some kind of instance, but it didn't seem to relate to anything. Onyx Garden Suite foliage does not suffer from this, though Xfrog do have some seriously nice plants and trees. When you do have time, it's worth setting up a library of clip mapped Xfrog foliage in scenes and having them ready for import. I did that in the end - lots of prep, but useful down the line.

Julian.

04-03-2014, 04:26 PM
I've started to Octane that free group of trees. They look loverly.

meshpig
04-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Yes the Xfrog LW set-up is appalling. They should be nodal for a start.