PDA

View Full Version : Loop a Dynamic effect

gschrick
01-23-2014, 11:23 AM
I have a client that wants a loopable flag wave. I've got the flag waving using the old school cloth effects. But I have no way to make it loop seamlessly. I've tried After Effects, but there is a noticeable fade.

Is there a way to loop effects such as billowing cloth... either in CLothFX or bullet?

Thanks.

lertola2
01-23-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't think you can with dynamics. I would use a procedural texture to drive the deformation. The ripples procedural texture is animated and it loops. This thread discusses a few different ways to make other procedural textures loop: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133057-Looping-procedural-textures/page2

xchrisx
01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
i do not think there is any real way to loop a dynamic simulation. however if instead of dynamics you were to use a displacement mapyou should be able to create a loopable sequence.

lertola2
01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
I just had a quick play with the ripples texture:
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119545&d=1390506075

Here is the scene:

Thomas Leitner
01-23-2014, 01:16 PM
I have a client that wants a loopable flag wave. I've got the flag waving using the old school cloth effects. But I have no way to make it loop seamlessly. I've tried After Effects, but there is a noticeable fade.

Is there a way to loop effects such as billowing cloth... either in CLothFX or bullet?

Thanks.

Hi,
this works with dynamics:
Bake your finished simulation to an MDD file (I/O Tab > MD Multi-Baker).
Disable dynamics.
In the Displacement Node Editor use "MDD Displacement" node to load the MDD file and set "Frame Offset" to 100.
Duplicate the "MDD Displacement" node and shift the start of the animation with "Frame Offset" (e.g.: if the whole animation is 500 frames offset the secound animation -400 frames).
Use a Vector Mixer to blend the two animations (animate the Opacity from 100% at frame 400 to 0% at frame 500).

Voila!

ciao
Thomas

Slartibartfast
01-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Clever Thomas! I have to remember that one!

jeric_synergy
01-23-2014, 07:52 PM
That's pretty slick.

If anyone wants to still continue w/Olde Schoole displacements, you can mix it up by putting a skeleton in the object, and adding bone motion to texture displacement. If you run the texture loop say for 200 frames, and make the bone repetition to cycle at 400, a pleasingly randomish (not random at all, of course) will occur.

gschrick
01-24-2014, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the help. The displacement map worked well. It's still not as detailed or random as a cloth/wind deformation. But for this project I think it was just fine.

Thanks again.

jeric_synergy
01-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Layer displacement maps to get more involved/detailed deformations.