PDA

View Full Version : Best Current Quicktime Codec/Encoder?

Noclar7
11-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Hello all,

Ive been behind in the codec race for a bit so I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking for the best possible codec to use for a 720 X 480 video download. the video is about 5 minutes, I would like to keep the size under 100megs. Normally I've been using sorenson video 3 and just recently the mpeg4. Anyone have any good encoding tips?

Thanks,
Rj

Fistandantilus
11-18-2003, 12:54 PM
I'd say avi,either Divx or Xvid.I really don't like xvid because I find it to be very unstable.Divx is the way to go.Also you may try RMVB(real media variable bitrate).Also if you do RMVB pack it with a player called Real-Alt.You can google for Real-Alt player.
Just a few links to get you started:

Discussion on RMVB and tools to use.I used rmfactory which is quite simple and easy to use.Produced amazing quality at half the size of an avi.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40392

You may also want to check out
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

alot of tools and guides there as well as a tools section with the codecs.

I don't know what else to tell you because I am fairly new at animation and 3d.Now give me a Dvd to backup and I can put it in any format,and yes for my own personal use as I have 2 kids.I back up all my DVD's considering they have busted about 4 or 5 so far and I just can't afford to keep wasting money so they can break my DVD's.LOL.
I'd also say to do your animation in mpeg2 than reencode to avi or RMVB.You'll need additional tools for that but dvdrhelp should come in handy for that.

froggyplat
11-18-2003, 08:24 PM
sor3 compressed with a variable bitrate has great quality and is cross-platform (not to mention the public is more likely to have at least QT5 installed rather than DivX....just my opinion)....a program like cleaner or sorenson squeeze will give you the most options and awesome compression.

Fistandantilus
11-18-2003, 08:35 PM
I really wouldn't waste my time with QuickTime.With a higaspect ratio the video is going to look so pixilated and have spo many artifaccts that it wouldn't be worth it.If youy do resize your video,to a smaller siz,I still wouldn't waste my time with QT.

Divx is one of the most widely used codecs right now and I'd say alot more people,who know anything about video encoding,would have it.I'd also say anyone who knew anything about video encoding wouldn't waste their time with Quick Time because it has to be one of the worst codecs.That's not just my opinion but the opinion of most encoders.

I prefer RMVB but most people would say go with avi.Especially Divx.

WizCraker
11-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Divx is a Hack from an old Microsoft MPEG codec, it does not always work on all systems such as Mac and the free version includes spyware.

Quicktime is more widely available and regardless of platform the format is seamless and works as expected.

I've encoded everything from super low rez all the way up to HD and have never had any artifacts do to aspect ratio.

If userbase is not what you are looking for and just need an excellent codec that is leading the way and getting adopted by Film and Broadcast companies. Then go for the Microsoft WMP V9 encoder. IMO this is the best codec available I usually encode to WMP V9 then if needed, uicktime for clients who have Macs.

trick
11-19-2003, 02:41 AM
I'm always wondering about people using DivX. Are they using it commercially ?? If so: IT IS NOT FREE FOR COMMERCIAL USE (this includes the Pro version that you can buy for 20 bucks). The same for XVid. If you don't know what I'm talking about: contact the makers or contact MPEG.ORG.

For best compatibility, smallest file sizes, best quality just try the demo of Sorenson Compression Suite 3.5. It delivers MPEG1, MPEG2, QT, WMV, FLV. SWF, etc. And believe me, if you know what I'm talking about: it really is CHEAP !!! At the moment it is even 100 bucks cheaper !!!

PS: I'm NOT associated with Sorenson...

Fistandantilus
11-19-2003, 03:06 AM
If so: IT IS NOT FREE FOR COMMERCIAL USE (this includes the Pro version that you can buy for 20 bucks). The same for XVid. If you don't know what I'm talking about: contact the makers or contact MPEG.ORG.

You're absolutly right and I forgot about this.I might have just seen bad QT and WMP9 videos.I have not personally encoded these so I really can't say unless I did a test.I do know that RMVB is pretty darn good and produces small file sizes with amazing quality.Guess I'm gonna have to test out QT and WMP9 for myself.

Rich
03-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Was just checking out the trial of sorenson squeeze 3.5 and all I can say is holy %$#@. This codec is amazing. I had a quicktime file that I am going to be adding to my website. I encoded it with the standard sorenson 3 codec through Premiere. The file size was about 40mb and this is a 30 second video at 320x240. I just ran the file through Sorenson Squeeze 3.5 and it cut the file down to 1.82 mb and I didn't even mess with the settings. I'm sure I could optimize it even more. I am sold on this product and will be purchasing the full version.

http://www.sorenson.com/

WizCraker
03-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Just to add to what Trick said http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/

Rich
03-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Just a followup to my previous post. I bought the Sorenson Squeeze 3.5 software. I got $100 off the normal price. To be able to do this you have to first sign up for the trial version. An email will be sent to you telling you the link to download the trial. Also in the email it says if you order within 3 days of downloading the trial you can save $50. Well when I went to the site the price reduction was actually $100 off. So if you are planning to purchase this don't forget to take advantage of this price reduction.

WizCraker
03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
How much was the total cost?

Rich
03-03-2004, 04:59 PM
The normal price is $449.00. I paid $349.00. It's an awsome deal considering what you are getting. The Sorenson 3 Pro codec, Sorenson Mpeg4 Pro codec and Sorenson Spark Pro codec.

WizCraker
03-03-2004, 05:49 PM
the cost of FPrime or a Camera Payment. hmm. what to do.

Rich
03-04-2004, 08:20 AM
I dunno.. After seeing the latest render on Worley's site and finding out it goes on sale next week I would probably go for FPrime. Now if only someone can figure out how to make it render out image sequences. I'm glad I just got paid last night from work so I will have enough to get that as well when it's released. This is an exciting time for LWavers!