PDA

View Full Version : Nodal Displacement Maps & Alphas

greg.reyna
01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
I've got a ground texture that's displacing with procedurals and a weight map. One part of the ground has a small hill on which I want a different displacement. At first, I tried using a separate weight map for the hill, and used procedurals to displace it, but that resulted in square corners between the hill and the ground that were impossible to blend. So finally I painted a png displacement map for the hill. This map is oval with a transparent background, so no corners. But when I activate both the ground and the hill displacements together, the ground for the most part overrides the hill map. My hill map gets lost in the ground shapes.

So now I've been trying to mask off the hill area from the ground texture, assuming that then I could add the png, and the hill displacement I want would be more visible. Also I've tried creating a 'negative' version of it to make holes in the ground where the hill bumps will be. This works to some extent, but not good enough. Not when it's combined with the rest of the ground. I've tried all kinds of things to make these two displacements exist at the same time, yet stay separate: a scalar layer node used as an alpha, outputting a sign node from a duplicate of the hill map, using add nodes, a multiply node, but I can't get anything to give me a relatively clean combination of the two different displacements. I'm not too clear on the ins & outs of alphas, especially in this context.

Can anyone suggest another approach?

Thanks,
Greg119518119517

bazsa73
01-23-2014, 01:23 AM
Hi,
check this out. I used a weightmap as a mask. You can set individually the amplitude of the different areas by adjusting the values in the multiply nodes.

greg.reyna
01-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Köszönöm Köszönöm bazsa73, it works perfectly!

I only had to change the Color outputs to Alpha and Luma, and the Luma multiply value. I had been driving the displacements with scalars, now that I can use vectors there are more parameters available. I see that the higher the weight map values close to the hill, the more the sides of the hill are pushed together. I can see all kinds new possibilities, and think about this stuff in a different way. Still have some tweaking to do.

I never would have figured this out myself.

Greg

bazsa73
01-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Köszönöm Köszönöm bazsa73, it works perfectly!

I only had to change the Color outputs to Alpha and Luma, and the Luma multiply value. I had been driving the displacements with scalars, now that I can use vectors there are more parameters available. I see that the higher the weight map values close to the hill, the more the sides of the hill are pushed together. I can see all kinds new possibilities, and think about this stuff in a different way. Still have some tweaking to do.

I never would have figured this out myself.

Greg
Cool! Welcome to these forums!