PDA

View Full Version : Odd frame between cuts

cuspclub
01-22-2014, 02:34 PM
I've been noticing an odd off-color blended frame on footage recorded on our TCXD300 while switching cuts. This is a shoot involving 3 component 1080i inputs on a 1080i session. I've uploaded 3 pics: the frame before the cut, the odd frame during the cut, and the frame after the cut. Any idea what's going on here?

kanep
01-22-2014, 04:55 PM
My guess is that you have a cut that happened on a field. To make TriCaster operate as fast as possible, a cut/take can happen on a field boundary. I do believe on newest TriCaster systems, they have changed behavior this to have cuts only happen on frames boundaries.

If this file was recorded in MPEG Compatibility mode, this uses 4:2:0 color space and that would account for the discoloration effect you see. In this color space, samples of red and blue are taken from every other line of the image, then used on the in between lines. Since every other line is a field from a different image, you are getting one field 'receiving' the color information from the other. Using MPEG-2 High Profile would avoid the color issue as this format is 4:2:2 and color information wold be sampled from every line in the frame.

cuspclub
01-23-2014, 07:36 AM
I will try changing recording modes on our next shoot and see if that helps. Thanks for the input.

kltv
01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
If you have the option, running your session in 720p should take care of it as well. No interlacing there, all progressive frames.

Kris