PDA

View Full Version : Finding Grants - Helping Schools

m4a2000
01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Not sure how many people are here work in education, but right now it's a struggle to get upgrades or replacements of outdate and broken equipment. Right now I have a one terabyte raid five server that just decided to go belly up and I think Iíve lost all of my stock content. Not far behind it is another server that has nearly four terabytes in a raid ten that holds all of our regularly produced content for the last 3 years. Iíve been told that a replacement for both servers that could hold 16 terabytes in a raid five would cost around $10,000. At best my programs yearly budget is three fourths of that.

I know that over the last 20 years Microsoft and other tech companies have helped out schools and their programs before, but I canít seem find ďlet us get you a new serverĒ link on any of their sites. Does anyone here know the best way to get ahold of these companies? Is anyone here apart of a company that could help?

I'll beg if I have to.

UnCommonGrafx
01-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Ya know,
I think you may have something in conversing here on the forum.
My school just got a 460 and cameras at my behest. We got lucky in that someone recently donated money for this purpose.
I think sharing this info and looking for grants as a group may just be the ticket. As well, now, am wondering if group-grants might not also work/raise awareness as to the needs of schools in this regard. A group-grant, in my mind, is where you and I might hit up microsoft, for example, stating that though we are competing for the dollars, we see value in both of us getting funding in order to have a synergistic cohort with which to work...

Or some such grant-speak.

I'll ask our librarian what she can find and report back. This is my home account; [email protected] will be from work.

Oh, and directly to your question: send an email to ms with this same question. As well, send it to the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation or a query as to what grant opportunities they might have for schools in need.

m4a2000
01-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Is that email a .edu or .com?

UnCommonGrafx
01-22-2014, 02:40 PM
A .com. Or look for their foundation.
In general, "microsoft grants education" will get you real close to what's needed:
https://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+grants+for+schools&rlz=1C1OPRA_enUS558US558&oq=microsoft+grants+fo&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.12811j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8