PDA

View Full Version : Too many sides for bullet physics?

TwoCoins
01-22-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm trying to get a guitar pick to react right in layout. After watching Cody Burke's tutorial on bullet physics for logo reveal I thought this would be a cool way to get a pile of guitar picks, Which is really what I'm after.

I could follow along with his hexagon just fine, when I up the sides and change the shape lw slaps me. Is there a polygon limit because it works with spheres and right now my pick only has twelve sides.
The problem I'm having is the pic goes straight through my ground plane.

Please help?

spherical
01-22-2014, 02:18 AM
I remember a thread about coins dropping through the contact plane and the plane not having enough geometry. Unsure of how to search for it.

EDIT: Actually found it:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138619-Bullet-Physics-Dynamics-probelm-items-passing-through-the-ground-slowly&highlight=coins+bullet+droping+through

3DGFXStudios
01-22-2014, 02:40 AM
If you check "draw collision shapes" does that solve your problem? Try to keep your mesh clean and use only quads and triangles. Avoid non planar polygons because they never are going to work in a simulation.

TwoCoins
01-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Thank you. It was definitely nonplanar polys messing it up. So I ran the simulation with low poly picks. Saved the morph subdivided the subpatched sent back to layout with exactly the pile of guitar picks I was looking for. I love lightwave.

3DGFXStudios
01-23-2014, 02:16 AM
Make sure you check out the draw collision shapes option. This takes out all corrupt or not supported geometry and generates a low poly triangulated mesh.