PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Max "State Sets" quite amazing. Newtek should see this! (LW-AE workflow)

Taro Yoshimoto
01-21-2014, 09:30 AM
I am very happy with the new IO import export between AE and LW. It's easy to use and quite good. However it doesn't take care of passes or import polygons as solids.

Here a video explaining an amazing feature of 3DS Max that make even the new Cineware (AE/C4D) look like a gimmick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqo3cwJvVl8

You can record "States" of your 3DS scenes and make passes out of it. Priceless.

Newtek, please have a look at this!! It would give motion designers quite a boost.

Danner
01-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Very nice implementation, I know NewTek is working on a compositing/passes solution, let's hope it's something nearly as good.

Taro Yoshimoto
01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Because of Lightwave modeler/layout being separate, it's always time consuming to create passes (by duplicating scenes) with different materials. You have to duplicates the objects too.

Maybe someone have a trick to accelerate the process?

mummyman
01-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Because of Lightwave modeler/layout being separate, it's always time consuming to create passes (by duplicating scenes) with different materials. You have to duplicates the objects too.

Maybe someone have a trick to accelerate the process?

Agreed!

Danner
01-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Janus + Exr Trader

http://faulknermano.com/janus/docs/online/index.html?page=tutorials.html

mummyman
01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
I looked into Janus, but seems like you can't "update" motion if something changes, unless it's baked into an MDD file. Sometimes, that's not workable, in my case. Seems VERY tempting though

Taro Yoshimoto
01-21-2014, 01:33 PM
As ease of use go, it cannot be simpler than "Press record, do whatever you want, save as pass". Janus look quite complete but way more heavy. Can it do material changes?

faulknermano
01-21-2014, 02:04 PM
As ease of use go, it cannot be simpler than "Press record, do whatever you want, save as pass". Janus look quite complete but way more heavy.

Yes, Janus is quite 'heavy'. I think because it's written with a procedural/automated mindset and so the tools in Janus reflect that. Otoh, through the years, certain functions like "Extract from scene" which looks into the scene file and looks for selected parameters and applies them as Janus settings, try to make it more 'attached' to the user's workspace. But this is a convenience feature rather than a design principle.

Can it do material changes?

Yes, it does 'full surface overrides', which automates the application of surfaces onto objects (this includes multiple surfaces across multiple objects). There is also a concept of 'partial surface overrides' which only affects certain parameters, but this feature has still some outstanding bugs.

but seems like you can't "update" motion if something changes, unless it's baked into an MDD file

Unfortunately, the only way Janus can handle this is a re-breakout, which is obviously updating the whole breakout .lws. What LW needs is full scene referencing.

There are several ways to implement "State Sets", and you can see it across different applications:

Maya > Render Layers
Max > State Sets
Houdini > Takes

..among others.

I think, however, it's done, there should be a clear indication of what is being applied in a particular 'state set'. In Maya, for example, it is difficult to determine what has been modified from one render layer to the next.