PDA

View Full Version : Flocking: using Weight Maps with flocking items?

jeric_synergy
01-20-2014, 06:33 PM
#awayfrommachine

I've been watching a lot of Flocking Tutorials lately, and one thing I haven't seen is the use of Weight Maps to modulate flocking behavior.

I don't even know WHAT I'd be modulating, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

For other flocking enthusiasts, I warn that a lot of YouTube tutorials are using earlier versions of the 11.n flocking features, as you'll note in the difference between the screen captures and the 11.6 Flocking implementation (iow, yay, new features! :lwicon: ), so be sure to familiarize yourself with the latest features from the 11.6 Addendum.

(For instance, it now seems that is IS possible that keyframing the flock generator would have an effect, if the new(?) Start Frame/End Frame controls are used, which AFAICT allows you to 'dribble' out the instances of the flock rather than having them all appear en masse at frame 1.)

jameswillmott
01-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Weight maps? Normally associated with meshes... how would you see that used for a particle simulation???

jeric_synergy
01-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Emitter rates for one. Attraction points for directors? (Directors can be meshes, can't they????)

I don't know, that's kinda why I was asking. I neglected w.maps for quite a while and am trying to avoid that (again)....

It seems anywhere a texture can be used a w.map might be part of the mix, if there's a mesh involved.

jeric_synergy
01-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Here's an example of how weight maps might be used: imagine you're trying to make a field of 'grass', and you want 'bugs' to be attracted to just the TIPS of the 'grass'. A gradated weight map on an ARRIVE director could attract the bugs to the tips of the grass rather than the roots.

Areyos Alektor
01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Use "Gradient" ?

jeric_synergy
01-27-2014, 01:29 PM
It's just an example, not an actual need.