PDA

View Full Version : Hitfilm Express Free until Feb 4

geo_n
01-20-2014, 05:36 PM
http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-328-get-hitfilm-2-express-for-free

Downloading now.

Ryan Roye
01-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Downloading it considering I'm already hunting for a video editing/compositing package that's right for my production needs. Thank you very much for sharing!

m.d.
01-20-2014, 07:56 PM
decent little program...intuitive
the express edition is a little hampered by export choices, and built in effects....

but still a nice fast little app

I think to use it for serious production you would have to upgrade to the full edition....which is very cheap to do right now

Davewriter
01-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Many Good Karma points to you sir!
Thanks for the share

Ryan Roye
01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
So far the program seems pretty good. Very fast editing workflow, feels snappy, and makes use of the GPU so there's next to no lag when throwing a bunch of video clips together and layering them and such. I agree express's available effects are lacking, but can't complain for the price.

One huge snag I ran into is that export times are awful. I'm getting ~6-8 minutes for a 10-20 second clip which is unacceptable and I'm using a fairly decent GPU. If I can't find out if this can be remedied, the software will be unsuitable for my needs.

erikals
01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Great stuff...! was gonna buy this one eventually!

Thank you for the link...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

JamesCurtis
01-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Been looking to possibly getting the Ultimate version myself. Will have to wait a few weeks to do it, but it'll give me a chance to check this version out. For what it offers, $299 for Ultimate is a steal.

calilifestyle
01-20-2014, 11:30 PM
So far the program seems pretty good. Very fast editing workflow, feels snappy, and makes use of the GPU so there's next to no lag when throwing a bunch of video clips together and layering them and such. I agree express's available effects are lacking, but can't complain for the price.

One huge snag I ran into is that export times are awful. I'm getting ~6-8 minutes for a 10-20 second clip which is unacceptable and I'm using a fairly decent GPU. If I can't find out if this can be remedied, the software will be unsuitable for my needs.

yeah seems weird.

Rayek
01-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Ooh, thanks, downloading now. I always wanted to try it out.

erikals
01-21-2014, 12:29 AM
it might be slow to render as it requires a good GPU...

http://hitfilmtips.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/tip-understand-how-hitfilm-uses-your-hardware

bazsa73
01-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Great stuff...! was gonna buy this one eventually!

Thank you for the link...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif
Me too!

geo_n
01-21-2014, 03:27 AM

I tested a 5 min 720p mp4. Seems to be a threading issue using only 50% of my cpu. Its two times slower than vegas on cpu.
Looking for preference setting for a fix.

Ryan Roye
01-21-2014, 05:26 AM
I'm using a 650 GTX Ti with 4GB memory for reference. It seems like that should be enough to get the job done though...

Ryan Roye
01-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Updated my GPU drivers and it helped a little, but export times are still slow compared to what i've worked with in the past, at least now it feels a bit more reasonable.

It is about 2 seconds for every 1 second of footage. So, if I have a 1 hour clip, it'll take at minimum 2 hours to render. More if video clips are layered over eachother. Still, it sure is nice to be able to see full size previews of my work play back smoothly.

However, I did notice that heavy usage of filters, effects, etc have minimal impact on the render times so that is definitely something to consider... as some of the video editors i've used slow down to a crawl when processing these effects.

to be fair, I don't think video editing is Hitfilm's niche; that isn't its primary focus based on what i've read and my initial experience with the program. Visual effects, compositing, etc seem more what its built for, but it just happens to have the features to facilitate a video editing production environment.

In summary, hitfilm ultimate may still get my business after all :)

erikals
01-21-2014, 11:00 AM
the great thing about HitFilm is that it's both for effects and editing...

this removes my need to get both After Effects and Premiere.
(except some great plugins that comes with After Effects > rsmb, neat video)

tracking can be done in Blender, then exported to LightWave, if wanted
i think Blender improved the accuracy lately... http://www.blendtuts.com/camera_tracking

and at a fraction of the price... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif
can't beat that... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

i'm sure speed will improve in time

Philbert
01-21-2014, 02:24 PM
This looks like a pretty cool app. I downloaded it, haven't played with it yet. Unfortunately I don't have a very good video camera (best is my phone) to shoot with.

erikals
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
i'm loving it already... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

might be an interesting video >
do note, this below is HitFilm Ultimate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNtVv3OH4A

compare HitFilm Express / Ultimate
http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/compare

erikals
01-21-2014, 11:32 PM
if you later upgrade to Ultimate, you'll be able to import 3D files and LightWave .lwo directly...

Neat...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG4wTsEC3Vo#t=124

CaptainMarlowe
01-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Being a Mac user, I had used it's ancestor when it was available on Mac, which was something like FX lab pro, but it was only focused on effects, not editing. When Hitfilm 2 was released for Mac, I tried it, but in the meantime, I had been accustomed to the combo Final Cut Pro/Motion, and I finally stayed with the tools I knew. Right now, I don't see Hitfilm Express replacing FCP in my workflow, since the only feature that could interest me is the ability to work directly with 3D objects, and is not available in Hitfilm express. But even if it allows a very cheap upgrading to Hitfilm ultimate, it would be too expensive for me since I bought into FCP X some time ago. If I hadn't done so, Hitfilm would sure have been a tool of choice.
Now, if they'd port Hitfilm for Linux, then it would be awesome !

sami
01-22-2014, 01:32 AM
about to watch the vids you posted erikals, but can you or anyone tell me if Hitfilm has any advantages over CS6 Premiere and After Effects? i.e. not to retread old territory but I wont go CC and am looking for an eventual replacement if I need new features beyond CS6. Does hitfilm have anything compelling not in CS6? I kind of get the impression it is equivalent to CS4 or somethng perhaps still in its early days? any comments on this...

erikals
01-22-2014, 02:18 AM
from what i've tried, and from what i know, AE and Premiere is quite a bit more powerful.
HitFilm has the advantage though that it is kind of like a lite version of both AE and Premiere merged together.

color manipulation also has a long way to go in HF afaik...
the first videos above tells a bit about the advantages.

also see >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135447-How-does-Hitfilm-compare-to-AE

dsol
01-22-2014, 05:39 AM
I've got After Effects (with a ton of 3rd party plugins), Premiere and Hitfilm Ultimate. Hitfilm has got a ton of promise, but whenever I use it I find little gotchas that make me go back to AE. That being said, in order to come close to the features of hitfilm ultimate, you not only have to buy/rent After effects, but a load of expensive 3rd party plugins too (element 3D, optical flares, magic bullet, trapcode). And Hitfilm does have a few areas where it absolutely buries After Effects - the unified 3D space for layers, objects and particles is something I'd kill for in AE. And that particle system is really quite amazing, and even bests things like Trapcode Particular when it comes to speed and support for dynamics.

So, if you don't already have After Effects and/or Premiere Pro, Hitfilm is a very, very good option. Almost a no-brainer. Right now, I have a lot of money invested in AE, and I definitely have more capabilities than I would with Hitfilm, but at a massive cost difference (though in my case, it's a sunk cost already)

Philbert
01-22-2014, 11:28 AM
The question I have is, will, it load projects from Premiere or After Effects? Sometimes a client might send you a premiere project that needs a few small edits or something. If you don't have premiere you could be stuck, but if this will load it then that's great.

dsol
01-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Nope. As a video editor it's very limited and doesn't support XML or AAF ingest as far as I know (though I know that's feature they're hoping to implement at some point). If you need to amend Premiere Pro projects for other people, it makes a lot more sense to use the native app. As for After Effects import - not a chance in hell. AEP is a closed format. Adobe are little buggers like that. The two apps are different enough to make it a slightly pointless feature too.

dsol
01-22-2014, 11:37 AM
But why not download Hitfilm Express while it's still free - it's not like you've got anything to lose!

erikals
01-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Sometimes a client might send you a premiere project that needs a few small edits or something. If you don't have premiere you could be stuck, but if this will load it then that's great.

options >

-rent After Effects for 1 month only
-ask the client to send you the separate video layers, then build it up in HitFilm
-buy an used AE for future use, like CS6...
-redo the whole thing from scratch (like we did at the print center many times...)

but if many clients send you AE files, you have no choice but to buy AE.
if so, i guess it shouldn't be a problem, as money from the clients will buy AE for you...

HitFilm is best for Indie and Freelancers though... and there are many of us... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
getting / using HitFilm also sends a message to Adobe...

Ryan Roye
01-22-2014, 02:01 PM
For anyone interested in first time user experience, here are some thoughts after trying it out on an actual project:

THE GOOD:

- Even the express version has opened a big door in terms of applying modifications, layering, and visual effects to any shots I might do. Built-in gradient overlays with various options will help greatly in getting the kind of composition I want... having this capability in a "free" program is incredible. I typically use Blender for compositing, but this may very well replace it entirely.

- Video preview is fast and crisp, and even if things get dense there are detail levels that can be used (IE: if you have a shot with 4-6+ video clips playing at the same time). This almost eliminates the need to use small-sized video proxies.

- Easy to learn; the help files are stupidly easy to access and I was able to reference things whenever I didn't know what something did.

THE BAD:

- Stability is lacking in some areas. For example, when I reloaded audio clips in my project, the program would crash or the audio would simply refuse to play at all (for all clips). If I jumped into my project too quickly after loading the program... it would crash. There are too many of these little "it will blow up if you do it this way" situations that are attached to even the most basic functions that I really did not like.

- Time manipulation is a serious problem that almost cripples this program. If I want to do anything with the video that involves scaling the speed of a clip to go slower or faster, it is really difficult to manage and the methods to do it are inefficient. Scaling the speed does not change the duration of the clip, and cutting the clip will ruin the timing. Working with the actual playback speed of a clip equates to a nightmare of work if the project demands full control over timing (IE: Sometimes I slow down or speed up clips in my tutorial content to match it up perfectly with narration).

- The interface is unnecessarily bulky. There is a lot of wasted space in oversized buttons with no options to size them down. This can be a big problem when you want all of the layers in your timeline or effects panel to be fully visible and you have a very big project that uses many layers. I have no idea what was going through the mind of the developers when they decided that every titlebar needs to be 50+ pixels in height.

Philbert
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
But why not download Hitfilm Express while it's still free - it's not like you've got anything to lose!

I did download it, I just haven't installed it yet.

options >
-rent After Effects for 1 month only

You can rent Adobe software without a year long contract??

erikals
01-22-2014, 02:38 PM

yep...

dsol
01-22-2014, 02:40 PM

You can - but it costs a lot more than a 12-month subscription. Of course in the context of a paying job, it ain't THAT bad. If you only occasionally do jobs using After Effects, Premiere or Photoshop, CC is actually pretty handy.

erikals
01-22-2014, 03:17 PM
...they decided that every titlebar needs to be 50+ pixels in height.

this is actually very good when using a Wacom Pen...

calilifestyle
01-22-2014, 03:24 PM
For anyone interested in first time user experience, here are some thoughts after trying it out on an actual project:

THE GOOD:

- Even the express version has opened a big door in terms of applying modifications, layering, and visual effects to any shots I might do. Built-in gradient overlays with various options will help greatly in getting the kind of composition I want... having this capability in a "free" program is incredible. I typically use Blender for compositing, but this may very well replace it entirely.

- Video preview is fast and crisp, and even if things get dense there are detail levels that can be used (IE: if you have a shot with 4-6+ video clips playing at the same time). This almost eliminates the need to use small-sized video proxies.

- Easy to learn; the help files are stupidly easy to access and I was able to reference things whenever I didn't know what something did.

THE BAD:

- Stability is lacking in some areas. For example, when I reloaded audio clips in my project, the program would crash or the audio would simply refuse to play at all (for all clips). If I jumped into my project too quickly after loading the program... it would crash. There are too many of these little "it will blow up if you do it this way" situations that are attached to even the most basic functions that I really did not like.

- Time manipulation is a serious problem that almost cripples this program. If I want to do anything with the video that involves scaling the speed of a clip to go slower or faster, it is really difficult to manage and the methods to do it are inefficient. Scaling the speed does not change the duration of the clip, and cutting the clip will ruin the timing. Working with the actual playback speed of a clip equates to a nightmare of work if the project demands full control over timing (IE: Sometimes I slow down or speed up clips in my tutorial content to match it up perfectly with narration).

- The interface is unnecessarily bulky. There is a lot of wasted space in oversized buttons with no options to size them down. This can be a big problem when you want all of the layers in your timeline or effects panel to be fully visible and you have a very big project that uses many layers. I have no idea what was going through the mind of the developers when they decided that every titlebar needs to be 50+ pixels in height.

Thank you very much

geo_n
01-22-2014, 09:16 PM
The workflow from nle and ae style is pretty amazing and seamless. And this app is very easy to learn since its using a lot of common standards and commands. Really cool app so far.
Haven't seen any mograph samples though.
Also no exr, no animatable bezier masks I think. Two biggies.

erikals
01-22-2014, 09:32 PM
+ no NeatVideo noise reduction... and no RSMB...

but one can do this... >

hm, i see now that at RevisionFX they also support the $50 Movie Studio for these plugins...
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio

$90 for RSMB...
$150 for DE:Noise...
$330 for Twixtor...

+ $50 (!) for Movie Studio... not bad...

it means running another app, Movie Studio, for those tasks, but it's certainly an option for us Indies / Freelancers... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

sami
01-23-2014, 12:31 AM
yep...

not in all regions I think, plus I read an adobe blog post somewhere (I'll look for it) that says they are moving toward 1yr min contracts with termination penalties (a'la verizon) for all regions...

erikals
01-23-2014, 12:33 AM
...plus I read an adobe blog post somewhere (I'll look for it) that says they are moving toward 1yr min contracts with termination penalties (a'la verizon) for all regions...

will they ever learn...

sami
01-23-2014, 12:40 AM

also see >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135447-How-does-Hitfilm-compare-to-AE

Thanks for the link erikals - you always take the time to include references - I appreciate that

I've got After Effects (with a ton of 3rd party plugins), Premiere and Hitfilm Ultimate. Hitfilm has got a ton of promise, but whenever I use it I find little gotchas that make me go back to AE. That being said, in order to come close to the features of hitfilm ultimate, you not only have to buy/rent After effects, but a load of expensive 3rd party plugins too (element 3D, optical flares, magic bullet, trapcode). And Hitfilm does have a few areas where it absolutely buries After Effects - the unified 3D space for layers, objects and particles is something I'd kill for in AE. And that particle system is really quite amazing, and even bests things like Trapcode Particular when it comes to speed and support for dynamics.

So, if you don't already have After Effects and/or Premiere Pro, Hitfilm is a very, very good option. Almost a no-brainer. Right now, I have a lot of money invested in AE, and I definitely have more capabilities than I would with Hitfilm, but at a massive cost difference (though in my case, it's a sunk cost already)

Cool - thanks dsol - yeah I have the Trapcode suite too (and I can't live without me Twixtor) so yes, it seems it's not a CS6 replacement yet, but a great complement especially considering what you are saying about its particle system - It might be quicker to dive in there for simple 3d particle based motion gfx if it's responsive/quick and has nice presets.

How do it's video rolling shutter, retiming, or noise reduction features fare (assuming it has any)? Any good interpolation for retiming?

allabulle
01-23-2014, 02:27 AM
One thing to consider is that the license is per computer. When trying to install HitFilm on my laptop it complained that the license was already activated on another machine and proposed if I wanted to deactivate the other install. That is more than an annoyance here, since we change from machine to machine depending on the task at hand. Not being able to use it at will on any computer can be a problem, specially at the end of a project when the deadline is getting closer. Other softwares' licenses work this way too but nonetheless it's inconvenient.

geo_n
01-23-2014, 03:39 AM
One thing to consider is that the license is per computer. When trying to install HitFilm on my laptop it complained that the license was already activated on another machine and proposed if I wanted to deactivate the other install. That is more than an annoyance here, since we change from machine to machine depending on the task at hand. Not being able to use it at will on any computer can be a problem, specially at the end of a project when the deadline is getting closer. Other softwares' licenses work this way too but nonetheless it's inconvenient.

I got five licenses because its node locked. Just takes minutes to get one license so no big deal for me.

Philbert
01-23-2014, 03:43 AM
That's what I was thinking, just download it again. in fact I should probably do that for my laptop.

allabulle
01-23-2014, 03:45 AM
Of course you can download and install many licenses, but if I were to do that with a non-free license (a possible future upgrade to the full version, for instance) then I face the same problem: only one machine to work with it or quite a jump in (total) price.

I don't know if there is a way to change the licensing method or if the full version of HitFilm has a different approach to the matter, though.

sami
01-23-2014, 04:31 AM
THE BAD:

What type of audio files are you loading? May I suggest you try an uncompressed PCM Wav at 16bit 48000 and see if that makes it any better? When I wrote my LW Waveformfitter script, I had to learn the Wav file format in depth, and other audio file formats in order to read them in binary-wise. There are a lot of weird quirks and "non-standard" junk various apps embed into WAV files for example. In my case I had to put a special check in to make sure files even merely opened (and NOT saved) by Adobe Audition didn't screw up my audio file reader. Believe it or not, but Audition (or soundbooth I can't remember -maybe both) embedded non-standard chunks into the files that I had to deliberately ignore or my script would crash.

It just takes a second to convert whatever audio file you have to Uncompressed PCM Wav file format and that may make a difference if HitFilm isn't being super careful about variations in audio files (and to be fair, that's a can of worms itself). This may not help- but it's worth a shot as a workaround that might make things a heck of a lot more stable...

dsol
01-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Hitfilm Ultimate lets you have up to three activations live at a time - which is pretty damn generous and great for small studios (like me). I was sorry to see Luxology turn to the dark side after they were acquired by The Foundry - it's single node activation for Modo now (unless you pay more for a floating license). FXhome seem to be a lot more in touch with their indie userbase though.

allabulle
01-23-2014, 04:57 AM
Hitfilm Ultimate lets you have up to three activations live at a time - which is pretty damn generous and great for small studios (like me). I was sorry to see Luxology turn to the dark side after they were acquired by The Foundry - it's single node activation for Modo now (unless you pay more for a floating license). FXhome seem to be a lot more in touch with their indie userbase though.

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying my concerns about future licensing if I opt to upgrade to a full version.

spherical
01-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Wish there were a way to just delete a post when you realize you Borked one up.

erikals
01-23-2014, 03:34 PM
i guess you could click on the report icon and ask the moderator to delete it...

wesleycorgi
01-24-2014, 05:39 AM
I've been playing with the Express version. I liked it so much' I downloaded the trial version of Ultimate to play with some of the 3D features. Then I was very close to purchasing Ultimate at the current discount.

But there are too many show stoppers (as noted by others): interface chews up too much real estate, no depth buffer support, random crashes, etc. i have a CC license (I don't mind the whole subscription thing), but After Effects is sluggish with even the simplest of effects. And I really don't like the workflow and GUI of Premiere.

I was a Final Cut user, but never made the leap to FCP X. I was on my way to purchasing FCP X, but I wanted to try the trial first. You have to upgrade to Mavericks. But I've been stung by Mavericks. I previously upgraded to Mavericks on a completely new drive. Less than two months later, the file structure had a complete meltdown where I lost about 90% of my data. I brought my laptop to Apple Store and they couldn't figure out what happened. I tried all the drive utilities software and they couldn't find any faults with the drive.

erikals
01-24-2014, 05:44 AM
i was hoping for FCP X to come to the PC, but that ain't gonna happen...
it looked really cool, efficient.

i think actually SpeedEdit should be good too, for cutting / editing. but looks like that is discontinued... ? :\

NewTek should just merge SpeedEdit and LightWave... that's where the other apps are heading anyway.
what about it NewTekers?... why not get a head start... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/lwicon.png

allabulle
01-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Now that we finally have the devs and management of LightWave as a separate division from the rest of NewTek I wouldn't dare to suggest a 'merger' to trace back the steps made. Careful there! :)

dsol
01-24-2014, 10:59 AM
FCPX is my favourite editor these days. Premiere is OK, but the interface has alway felt a bit janky and "off" for me compared to FCP 7. There's a massive learning curve with FCPX if you're coming from another video app though - it very much has its own way of doing things, and initially it feels alien as hell. But once you get used to it, it's amazingly fast to throw edits together in.
And the way you can easily create your own custom effects and transitions in Motion is just amazing. I can't believe Adobe hasn't worked out a way of doing this with Premiere/After Effects yet - it's a killer feature!

Rayek
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
And the way you can easily create your own custom effects and transitions in Motion is just amazing. I can't believe Adobe hasn't worked out a way of doing this with Premiere/After Effects yet - it's a killer feature!

Adobe is not really in the business of innovation anymore - it does not surprise me at all. They sort-of try to improve what they have working, but that is about it. In many areas they have been lagging behind the competition.

CaptainMarlowe
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM
FCPX is my favourite editor these days. Premiere is OK, but the interface has alway felt a bit janky and "off" for me compared to FCP 7. There's a massive learning curve with FCPX if you're coming from another video app though - it very much has its own way of doing things, and initially it feels alien as hell. But once you get used to it, it's amazingly fast to throw edits together in.

+1

I have been reluctant to buy FCP X for a long time, according to the negatives comments here and there. Did it with 10.1 and I have absolutely no regret (I already had Motion way before).

geo_n
01-25-2014, 05:22 AM
no depth buffer support,

I think its possible to do it the old fashioned way.
http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/4645-dof-in-hitfilm/?hl=%2Bdepth+%2Bbuffer#entry37541

I don't have hitfilm ultimate and can't test since hitfilm express doesn't have "Set Matte" when I searched.

Also my mistake, it is possible to animate bezier masks. Its there so :thumbsup:

Hopefully they support exr in the future.

So far rocksolid for me. Win 7 64bit.

cresshead
01-31-2014, 12:10 PM
i'm loving it already... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

might be an interesting video >
do note, this below is HitFilm Ultimate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNtVv3OH4A

compare HitFilm Express / Ultimate
http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/compare

that GUY DRIVES ME NUTS....WHAT WRONG WITH HIM!!!!

erikals
01-31-2014, 09:18 PM
that GUY DRIVES ME NUTS....WHAT WRONG WITH HIM!!!!

what, the fast phase...? http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

JamesCurtis
02-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Nothing like being nearly last minute, but, I just bought into Hitfilm 2 Ultimate too. For $299, its a steal. I'll be putting together a brand new machine shortly in which I can install both this and LW!! Besides, I was always wanting to get this anyhow.

geo_n
02-05-2014, 03:13 AM
I'm encountering some import problems from videos or image sequence that just won't import. Seems to be picky what you format you import.

JamesCurtis
02-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Only tried an HD .jpg image sequence which loaded without a hitch. Haven't played with video import as yet though. The thing I found that was odd [to me anyhow] is that all I was given is a directory for images I wanted to load and didn't see image files themselves. Of course, as I said, I haven't had much time to play with the software. I'm working on a client animation ATM.

dsol
02-06-2014, 02:06 PM
FXhome have just posted up a really nice tutorial on creating an interactive fireball effect in Hitfilm Ultimate. It's pretty impressive I have to say. The particle and fire generator in Hitfilm are both really awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSarANQ11Ds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSarANQ11Ds

geo_n
04-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Have they conceded that they will not break the adobe userbase? Just like xsi soon becoming instinct trying to dethrone maya.
I can't imagine parallel development for small companies a good thing when it eats resources.

Announcing HitFilm Plugins
http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-340-announcing-hitfilm-plugins/

What does this mean for the standalone HitFilm software?

"The short answer: Nothing changes. We're as committed to HitFilm Ultimate as we ever have been. If you use the standalone software there are some really exciting announcements coming up later in the year.

The long answer: The more people we have using HitFilm technology, in any form, the better it is for everybody. More users means more feedback plus, of course, more resources for us to invest back into development. We've created a unified plugins development environment, which means that if we code a new effect for HitFilm Ultimate we can also compile it for HitFilm Plugins at the press of a button."

spherical
04-06-2014, 08:57 PM
...and I suppose, since they specify CC, that it won't be compatible with CS6.

geo_n
04-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Yep. There goes the only up and coming alternative to aftereffects.

Red_Oddity
04-07-2014, 03:54 AM
I use Hitfilm Express just for editing and uploading to Youtube, which works really well, also one of the few editors that loads vfw codecs (fraps, etc) without having to transcode or throwing a fit.
Never used it in production though, but for screencasting that needs some editing or some added 'flair', it's really cool.

CaptainMarlowe
04-08-2014, 01:56 PM
I didn't bought hit film ultimate, but as a plugin for Motion and Final Cut Pro, I may come to consider this again.