PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave viewport performance - OS X

mikkelen
01-20-2014, 06:54 AM
I run a GTX580 3GB card in my Mac Pro. Sometimes the drivers work really good for LightWave (usually some of the nVidia custom drivers, especially a few months back, I think it was the one for OS X 10.8.3) other times the viewports (in Layout) gets ridiculously slow. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Quadro K5000, not because of all-around performance, but maybe the drivers for Quadro are optimised for LightWave, anyone who use K5000 for Mac?

CaptainMarlowe
01-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Disabling grid antialiasing in the "display" window might help. It solved quite some bugs with my GTX675MX Nvidia cardon my iMac.

mikkelen
01-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Hmm, no grid nor display antialiasing enabled... still very slow.

mikkelen
01-29-2014, 04:41 AM
It seems like IK-chains and bones are the primary reason for slowing everything down. I have about 12 pipes in the scene with 15 bones each, and my 12x3,33 GHz Mac Pro with 96 GB of ram manages to push 3-4 frames a second in bounding box mode with no animation. How is this possible in 2014?

mikkelen
01-29-2014, 05:10 AM
...actually it moves smooth in viewport in bounding box, but not if I move the group. And there are no batch export transformed objects that will help me making the group of pipes static... pain.

eblu
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
mikkelen, LW is unusually processor reliant on the mac. OpenGL on the mac is unusually inefficient at some things, and... the biggest complaint everywhere about the mac platform is that the graphics drivers for the mac are still so very immature.

all of that adds up to: displacement of any kind kicks the legs out from underneath LW Layout.

mikkelen
02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
OS X supports OpenGL 4 now. Maybe the most GPU-intensive hardware I run, Mari, works flawless on Mac. I would guess this is an issue with some ancient almost non-working code in LW. But, I'll try the same scene on one of our Windows computers when I have time, just to check...

jwiede
02-07-2014, 12:28 PM
OS X supports OpenGL 4 now. Maybe the most GPU-intensive hardware I run, Mari, works flawless on Mac. I would guess this is an issue with some ancient almost non-working code in LW.

Yeah, if bounding box view is working that poorly, sounds like the issue is something awry in LW's view gathering code, not 10.9.x's OGL4 implementation.

rsfd
02-25-2014, 05:07 AM
[just stopped by ;) ]
OpenGL 4 on OSX is only available through OSX's new Core Graphics.
LW (as many other applications too) is most likely still bound to OpenGL v.2 Compatibility mode.
Core Graphics should also be faster, but it will take a while until developers adapt their applications to that new API.

dsol
02-27-2014, 03:07 PM
[just stopped by ;) ]
OpenGL 4 on OSX is only available through OSX's new Core Graphics.
LW (as many other applications too) is most likely still bound to OpenGL v.2 Compatibility mode.
Core Graphics should also be faster, but it will take a while until developers adapt their applications to that new API.

Thanks for the info - v interesting. Hopefully this means that once more apps switch to the newer framework we might start seeing viewport performance comparable to other platforms

lwanmtr
03-14-2014, 02:37 AM
Hopefully LW3DG are on top of things in getting LW up to the new opengl framework on mac.

kfinla
03-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Just be glad you are on an Nvidia card, it would be worse still on an AMD card.. LW performs better with Nvidia by a good margin. Which is too bad, since I could ONLY pick from ATI/AMD option cards to put in my new mac pro.

lwanmtr
03-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Thats the main reason I will probably never buy one of those things...unless Apple adds and Nvidia option...and thunderbolt is too slow to really make use of a graphics card in an external enclosure.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the main reason I will probably never buy one of those things...unless Apple adds and Nvidia option...and thunderbolt is too slow to really make use of a graphics card in an external enclosure.

dsol
03-21-2014, 07:56 AM

I dunno - I saw some tests using CUDA with external thunderbolt-connected GPUs on Toms Hardware. It didn't make that much of a difference. PCI-E x16 bus might seem fast, but compared to the internal memory bus of the GPU itself, it's molasses. As soon as you start thrashing the cache - swapping stuff from main memory to GPU memory, performance falls through the floor, no matter what connection you use.

mikkelen
04-05-2014, 06:38 AM
The D900's in the nMacPro, does not stand down compared to nVidia cards...