PDA

View Full Version : LW Flocking and Instancing Crows as in other Software

Eagle66
01-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Based on this Thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139730-Worthless-Tutorial!) i tried to reproduce a practical this 3dS Max Tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=chJKlQ3n2-Q#t=367) (you can start at 6:10 min).

I run into some issues that i can't solve with LW 11.6.1 Flocking and Instancing:

1 animated Texture as birth Emitter for birth position
2 dynamic birth rate (10 on first frame, 200 on Frame 10)
3 Swarm Orientation to Speed Space follow (Looking in Flight direction)
4 Random Animation on each Instance
5 Radmom Start Up Frame in Animation

If anyone try also to get the same result like in the video you will see the problems :hey:

Thanks for hints :thumbsup:
-roland-

Thomas Leitner
01-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Based on this Thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139730-Worthless-Tutorial!) i tried to reproduce a practical this 3dS Max Tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=chJKlQ3n2-Q#t=367) (you can start at 6:10 min).

I run into some issues that i can't solve with LW 11.6.1 Flocking and Instancing:

If anyone try also to get the same result like in the video you will see the problems :hey:

Thanks for hints :thumbsup:
-roland-

Hi Roland,
I don´t know the flocking system very well. However, you can do this kind of effect with the particle system, too.

You can use animated Textures in the birth rate of an particle emitter to mask the birth rate (be aware that you can´t use a UV map for this, since it´s broken, at least until version 11.5).

And you can animate the birth rate with an envelope.

You can define the orientation of you instances in the instance generator and use the orientation of your particles.

There is no way to use different bone or deformation animations on the same instanced object (The same applies to "Radmom Start Up Frame in Animation"). To work around use more bird objects with random animations to instance. Or use the free plugin "DP Instance" from: http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/DP_Instance.html . This volumetric instancer can use differend point cache files and offsets to animate one object randomly (but you need to bake your animation in DPs own DPM motion data file).

I hope it´s help.
ciao
Thomas

Eagle66
01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Okay thanks.

Yes, the birth rate of an particle emitter has a texture, i was on the wrong Object properties.... :hey:
No different bone or deformation animations on the same instanced object is the most missing feature, add instances manually an bake animation is very time consuming and if it is not work as wanted, you do it over and over again.

One point i also missing from the video is a "forces vortex" for the particles - i think you can get this by rotation properties or wind, but i don't know how to calculate this, that the particles spinning around the center ??

Thomas Leitner
01-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Okay thanks.

Yes, the birth rate of an particle emitter has a texture, i was on the wrong Object properties.... :hey:
No different bone or deformation animations on the same instanced object is the most missing feature, add instances manually an bake animation is very time consuming and if it is not work as wanted, you do it over and over again.

One point i also missing from the video is a "forces vortex" for the particles - i think you can get this by rotation properties or wind, but i don't know how to calculate this, that the particles spinning around the center ??

Hi Roland,
dass die Objekte keine unterschiedlichen Animationen haben können ist in diesem Fall kein großes Problem:
Du machst einfach eine Animation des Flügelschlags und speicherst diese als MDD (MD Multi-Baker im I/O Tab) raus. Dann ladest du dieses MDD file wieder auf deinen Vogel und clonst ihn ein paar mal (4x sollte reichen). Jetzt kannst du diese MDD Animationen unterschiedlich lang und mit verschiedenen Anfangszeiten machen. Die Vögel verwendest du dann im Instance Generator und schon hast du einen "zufällig" Flügel schlagenden Vogelschwarm.

"Force vortex" ist ein Wind. Da gibt es sicher mehrere Möglichkeiten. Eine einfache wäre der Windtyp Rotation(y).

Anbei eine einfache Particle Szene die den ungefähren Aufbau zeigt. Das Nullobjekt "Texture" steuert dabei die Bewegung der Textur die wiederrum die birth rate maskiert. Das auseinanderfliegen wird durch den Explosions- und Vibrationswert in den Emittereinstellungen gesteuert, die Drehung durch den Wind.

Ich hoffe dass hilft weiter
ciao
Thomas

Eagle66
01-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Okay, thanks. The insider information was in german :D

It is a nice instance Test for everyone to reproduce the result from the video in LW....

Areyos Alektor
01-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Et les bonnes manières ! :D