PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out jerky Skype?

Podcast Bob
01-19-2014, 10:38 AM
I've just tried my first Skype interview and I'm a bit dissapointed with the resulting recorded quality on my Tricaster.

However I may be expecting too much of the gear I'm using. Advice please?

Working with a TC40 using a Mac Power Book (Dual Core Circa 2007) as my Skype machine coming in via Net input. On the Net input it was a bit jerky, but the recorded media was worse.

Although it looked fine on the Laptop as I was doing the interview, (smooth and coherent) the recording as you'll see is very jerky. The audio is fine (apart from a hum - but I can sort that)

Now does this imply it is the technical handshake between the TC40 and Mac, or is it a simple case of the Mac just not being man enough for the job?

If you want to see the results they are here (http://youtu.be/Z35YalABFnU).

My broadband is 10 meg down and 1 meg upload, if that has any bearing on the issue.

kanep
01-19-2014, 03:28 PM
iVGA on Mac isn't designed for high frame rate applications, but stuff like PowerPoint and web pages. iVGA Pro on Windows 64-bit is designed to handle full frame rate motion, so I would look to using a PC as your Skype machine.

Podcast Bob
01-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Many thanks.

Fortunately I've picked one up recently with a Blackmagic board installed so that should solve the issue.

Something to keep in mind.