PDA

View Full Version : Question about AE to LW workflow

omichon
01-19-2014, 03:54 AM
I have to add some 3D elements into video shots that have been motion tracked with AE, so I need to get some camera path and nulls from AE.
As far as I understand there are solutions IF you have both LW and AE installed on the same computer (native send to AE, AElink), but in my case I am looking for a way to exchange files between two distant computers.
Please let me know if you have any experience or suggestion on this topic.

eKalb
01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
You may be best off installing Lightwave on their machine, use the interchange and save a lws you can bring back with you. Hopefully you can find a better way.

jeric_synergy
01-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Is AE sending data directly to LW, or is it saving an *.lws?

eKalb
01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't know where it was saving a .lws if it does. I do know that you have to switch to Lightwave after exporting a layer, it doesn't seem to happen immediately in the background. I tried to export a null layer, and then another null layer without switching to Lightwave in between, and only the 2nd null showed up in Lightwave.

Ma3rk
01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
You might check into Al Streets scripts at http://www.ats-3d.com/

They're old, but as they're scripts they should still work fine with current version of LW. I haven't tried them recently however since the addition of the exchange natively in LW and AELink.

M.

djwaterman
01-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Try this script. AE3D Export

http://www.motion-graphics-exchange.com/after-effects/AE3D-Export-Maya-Max-and-Lightwave/4bff8b4034916

It's free, and will create a LW scene file onto the desktop that you can open on any computer. I used it a few years ago and can only assume it still works with all the current versions.

omichon
01-21-2014, 01:24 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions guys !
@eKalb : Having to install both software on the same computer is not the best workflow for sure (each of us have no experience with the software of the other). I hope I'll find a better solution.
@Ma3rk : I had almost forget it ! Since this plugin hasn't been updated recently, I just hope it could handle files from the most recent version of AE. I'll give it a try anyway.
@djwaterman : I found that link yesterday from another thread after some time spent on that damn forum search function. It's not clear regarding compatibility with AE CS5+, but I'll send the link to the other party.

In short there are only "old" (and to-be-tested) scripts to exchange between these 2 apps since nowadays it seems to be admitted that the "3D guy" is also the "AE guy" which makes me feel a bit old :D
Surprisingly none of the most recent solutions (native send to AE or AElink) give us a way to simply export a file for an "offline" use. There should be a good reason for that even if I can't see it.

djwaterman
01-21-2014, 01:55 AM
The user of the AE3D Export script has to made aware that when they hit the export button it doesn't appear to do anything, but if they check they will find that a LW scene file has been created and is sitting on the desktop.

omichon
01-21-2014, 02:01 AM
The user of the AE3D Export script has to made aware that when they hit the export button it doesn't appear to do anything, but if they check they will find that a LW scene file has been created and is sitting on the desktop.

oh ! I must have missed that. Thanks again djwaterman :)

jeric_synergy
01-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that could be made more obvious. I think a trumpet fanfare would be appropriate....

omichon
01-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Just a little update to let you know how all this ended.
I tried to export the tracking data from AE to LW using the AE3D_export script but all I got was a jagged path. It was probably due to a scale issue but since I haven't found a way to set a unit other than pixels in AE, or define a distance between two tracked points, it was a dead end to me. I can't see how one could extract a 3D space info from a 3D camera tracking in AE. I finally went back to a real 3D tracking software to have the job done.

Edit : As a side note, Transmotion is a dead end too since it hasn't been updated for years and can't even recognize a recent AE motion file.

jeric_synergy
01-30-2014, 07:04 PM
FWIW, I did it rather easily, so it is definitely possible.

omichon
01-31-2014, 12:09 AM
FWIW, I did it rather easily, so it is definitely possible.

Then, could you please elaborate a more constructive post and explain what is this "rather easily" workflow ?