PDA

View Full Version : Dual 1.8 G5 released! + new 20" iMac

Ge4-ce
11-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Ok..

Apple released some new machines today!

Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 for 2499$ instead of the single 1.8 Ghz G5..

Oh boy.. those who bought such a machine last week are gonna be pissed off :D but hey.. no mercy about that one :) That's computerworld and I was angry too when they released the 17" powerbook two weeks after my brand new 15" powerbook with DVDburner arrived..

I think the dual 1.8 is good Price/performance! (especially for 2D graphix!)

For Our 3D.. pitty but.. I want those extra 200 Mhz /processor..

js33
11-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Yeah Apple has a way of releasing new stuff just after you bought yours. A few months after I bought my 15" iMac they came out with the 17" iMac. They also came out with the new iPods a few months after I bought mine. You just have to commit to a purchase and not worry about it because you know there will always be something bigger or better. But it does seem like it's easier to get bit buying an Apple than a PC.

I think all the G5s should have been duals to start with. Who is going to buy a single 1.6 Ghz G5 for 2k? Probably not many. I guess that machine is just there to prop up the higher end machines. Oh I see they lowered the price of the 1.6 to $1799 from $1999. I think I'll wait till the next gen to see what they do.

Cheers,
JS

lonestar1
11-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by js33
I think all the G5s should have been duals to start with. Who is going to buy a single 1.6 Ghz G5 for 2k?

People who work almost exclusively in one application, which happens to be single-threaded??? Not everyone will achieve significant benefit from multiple processors.

jcool
11-18-2003, 06:34 PM
Geez.. Only Apple can thrill people by releasing a slower computer. Call me when the dual 2.5 comes out. They should have released the 1.8 3 months ago when the 2.0 was impossible to get.

Beamtracer
11-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jcool
Call me when the dual 2.5 comes out. There's not much point waiting for the 2.5GHz model. You may as well buy the 2GHz one now instead.

Why?

Well, there's not much difference between the two. For anyone to notice a difference in speed (at all) it needs to be at least 200% faster. That means you'd have to get a 4GHz PowerPC processor before you'd even notice the difference.

So going to a 2.5GHz processor is only 25% more. You'll never notice the difference. Go and buy yourself a new G5 now and don't bother waiting!

Ade
11-18-2003, 08:07 PM
http://www.apple.com/powermac/images/charthmmer_11172003.jpg

http://www.apple.com/powermac/images/chartblast_11172003.jpg

http://www.apple.com/powermac/images/chartencoding_11172003.jpg

http://www.apple.com/powermac/images/chartphotoshop_11172003.jpg

Theres Apples scientifically tested benchmarks.........

Then theirs Paninis....

sbrandt
11-18-2003, 08:22 PM
...overpriced piece of Job's Junk for the MacIntrash fiends to throw their money into.

Ade
11-18-2003, 08:28 PM
??? Panini??? You back?

Beamtracer
11-18-2003, 09:29 PM
sbrandt
Renaissance Artist/Tech

grungy, drug addict infested,
''ethnic'' gang ridden
Colorado. ...wretch... (a far
cry from green, fertile Iowa)

The "ethnic" remark is tasteless and racist.

Chazz
11-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
The "ethnic" remark is tasteless and racist.

Ugh...do we have to listen to all of this?

toby
11-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by js33
Yeah Apple has a way of releasing new stuff just after you bought yours.

There is a simple solution, don't buy anything from Mac ever again. We'll miss you.

How did I know you'd be the First person to reply? With all negative comments? Do you go to weddings and talk about the odds of it ending Divorce?

another overpriced piece of Job's Junk for the MacIntrash fiends to throw their money into

Notice he didn't say 'slow' - Now it's back to the cheapskate's argument, since the speeds are comparable again. If Macs were cheaper too, they would argue "It's got goofy colors, it's for girls" GROW UP and BUZZ OFF.

If you dislike Macs so much what the **** are you doing here. Nobody here is talking to you.

Look at the size of this monitor! In your FACE, PC suckers.

sbrandt
11-18-2003, 10:30 PM
No it's not. There are no low-riders full of Luthern bible-study group kids driving through North Denver shotting through windows. It is, what it is. And do not call me your filthy ignorant PC names again.

archiea
11-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Actually beam, it may be worth waiting for the dual 2.5 instead of getting the dual 2 ghz now.... LW 8.0 isnt out yet, while some apple apps have been optimized recently, most apps aren't, and the OS isn't.... essentially, 64 bit computing on the mac is in progress.... so unless youneed it now, I;d say wait until LW 8 is out and when the OS supports it natively...

toby
11-18-2003, 10:40 PM
do not call me your filthy ignorant PC names again.

Yea, someone as polite as you should be treated with respect :rolleyes:

There are no low-riders full of Luthern bible-study group kids driving through North Denver shotting through windows

That's 'religion', what does it have to do with 'ethnicity'?

sbrandt
Renaissance Artist/Tech/Arrogant/Racist

sbrandt
11-18-2003, 10:54 PM
This is not the place for your hateful raves against "racists" and reactionary namecalling. You need a realistic education, so come here: [email protected] and stop bothering these people. I won't respond here, to one of you infantile ignorant rants in this forum again.

toby
11-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Who's hateful? Who posted "another overpriced piece of Job's Junk for the MacIntrash fiends to throw their money into" with no provocation?

Who's the one calling people names while saying "don't call me names"? Arrogant was entirely accurate.

I'll admit that calling you racist may have been hasty, maybe you just don't like words like 'ethnicity' because they're pc. But you don't even seem to realize the difference between social behavior and religion.

jcool
11-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by toby
Who's hateful? Who posted "another overpriced piece of Job's Junk for the MacIntrash fiends to throw their money into" with no provocation?

Who's the one calling people names while saying "don't call me names"? Arrogant was entirely accurate.

I'll admit that calling you racist may have been hasty, maybe you just don't like words like 'ethnicity' because they're pc. But you don't even seem to realize the difference between social behavior and religion.

I think he understands the difference quite well.. the none too subtle point was that fine upstanding white folk aren't the ones terrorizing the place. But this certainly doesn't fall into the LW Mac forum.. Probably should go in Newtek Discussions/Useless Flamewar/Race/Denver

jcool
11-18-2003, 11:53 PM
There's not much point waiting for the 2.5GHz model. You may as well buy the 2GHz one now instead.

So going to a 2.5GHz processor is only 25% more. You'll never notice the difference. Go and buy yourself a new G5 now and don't bother waiting!

Beam, seriously, are you on Apple's payroll? If you aren't, you need to be. I've heard you try to close more apple deals than Washington state farmer. A sales postion at an Apple store is calling your name.

My point was that a dual 1.8 does not interest me. Releasing better products is cause for celebration. Filling in artificial (I have a my conspiracy theory) gaps in your product line is not.

Ge4-ce
11-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Beam... How do you mean 25% speed increase does not matter???????????

If I need a project to render in 10 hours, now it will in 7,5 HOURS!

That's just the time I need to sleep! :D

(I said "need" not that I sleep that much..)

Ge4-ce
11-18-2003, 11:56 PM
And actually.. It's not quite the 500 extra Mhz what I'm waiting for.. I Hope that We can toss an nVidia Card in it again.. At least a FX 5900 with 128MB or more

archiea
11-19-2003, 12:45 AM
he he... racist... we have become so PC....

I remember my youth in brooklyn where we called the two delis we visited as going to Spics or to the Koreans because, well....

Its a NY thing since there are SO many different ethnic groups lumped into a small area...

meanwhile, in LA, people tend to whisper alot when talking about someone who's not white or beautiful...

As an example, within the frist few sentences of a conversation with a stranger in NY, you ask them "where are they from", which is understood as whats their ethnic origin. then you start to compare family trees like the way people compare scars on their bodies or something...

In LA, when I asked someone asian "where are they from" they took offense and said from here, the US. I replied saying that they knew what I was asking. they took offense and said that I should of clarified and asked what was their ethnic origin... and I smiled and replied "yeah, where are you from?" They got upset because they take it as some form of judgement, as LA is the capitol of the have and the have-nots....

So you gotta ask, what truly is racism...:confused:

Beamtracer
11-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by archiea
Actually beam, it may be worth waiting for the dual 2.5 instead of getting the dual 2 ghz now.... LW 8.0 isnt out yet, while some apple apps have been optimized recently, most apps aren't, and the OS isn't.... essentially, 64 bit computing on the mac is in progress.... so unless youneed it now, I;d say wait until LW 8 is out and when the OS supports it natively...
Hi Arthur,

I'm finding I need the extra RAM requirement of the G5 already. My G5 has 2.5 gigs of RAM, as the current version of Lightwave can use a maximum of 2 gigs of RAM. The OS can fit into the other 500 meg.

Right now I've got an image map of the planet earth that's around a gig on it's own, and when combined with other alpha channels it exceeds a gigabyte. Add to that the memory that the Lightwave application needs (+ the OS), and you've soon exceeded 2 gigs of memory.

So LW7.5 + OS10.2.7 isn't 64-bit computing, but it already allows you to use more than 2GB of RAM. It's already useful, and future versions of LW and the OS will go beyond this. The G5 has already doubled the speed of previous G4 computers, so that is already a significant speed boost, even in 32-bit mode.

Beamtracer
11-19-2003, 02:11 AM
Regarding ethnicity:

The statement that Colorado is 'drug addict infested, ''ethnic'' gang ridden':

1. Refers to ethnicity in a negative context
2. Denotes crime
3. Associates ethnicity with crime

Comments like this have no place on the Lightwave forum, or any other forum.

Boo!
11-19-2003, 02:50 AM
...BURP!...
sorry i think i'm bit drunk over here but is there a race thing goin on in a 3D forum???...

...hic...hic.........BURP!...

pretty stupid...then again what would you expect from someone who wants to start race arguments in 3D forum...ha-ha...what a stupid idea!....

...BURP!...

and another thing!, all these arguments about the fastest Mac vs P.C and updates etc,etc and when you get to see the dudes work its crap!...pure doo-doo!!!...
about as much creativeness goin as photo copy machine!!!!...hic!....
...BURP!

3D art is a form art...(well DUH!)...soooo put your talent and skills were ya big ugly dunce mouth is...hic...BURP!...and bring it on...

...hic!

...i'm off to go and make sence of why 7.5 update has my object flickering in Layout but it did'nt in 7...sigh...

...hic...BURP!:D

Ade
11-19-2003, 03:01 AM
How about computer rascism...?

BTW I usesually buy a new computer based on its motherboard speed increase.

Beam is right in respect that if you want a g5 get the 2ghz, BUT as i reput...Never buy first gen...Then u could rebut, buy what u need now to get the job done right...

Lightwolf
11-19-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Theres Apples scientifically tested benchmarks.........

Then theirs Paninis.... [/B]
Yep, both biased as hell ;)
Cheers,
Mike - scnr
(on a side note though, it is good to see the Dual 1.8, now the only box that imho isn't _really_ worth the money on a price performance pov is the single 1.6).

Boo!
11-19-2003, 04:23 AM
...BURP!!!!...
whoa that was a big one!...
...i say again talent, creative and skills for the computer Mac or P.C put ya money were ya mouth IS!!!!!...
...hic!
...when the G4 came out i smacked a dude stupid with my G3blue/wht baby in Photoshop. cool you need the machine to get things movin but it only does what you tell it...hic!...
no talent and creative power then you a doo-doo head with a powerfull computer, big deal!!!...hic...
for example some dude in this forum runs 7.5 on a G4 setup and his work slaps this other 3D artist who has a G5 all kitted up!!!!...

these cats are tooooooooooo hot!!! and all done before the G5...BURP!...
hope to join you dudes when i work out this flamin 7.5 flicker thingy!!!!...

www.exch.demon.co.uk/
(check 'my gallery')

www.asylum3d.co.uk/
...hic...i l.ove your work dudes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
...BURP!...hey what happened to dick head???

:D :D

Boo!
11-19-2003, 04:41 AM
...hic!
sorry just incase peeps get it confused...(check 'my gallery') is not my personal gallery its some dude who helped me out in this forum but i forgot his name...
...BURP!:D

mlinde
11-19-2003, 10:06 AM
There's not much point waiting for the 2.5GHz model. You may as well buy the 2GHz one now instead.

Although some have hassled Beam on this, he's got a point. If you are planning on buying a new machine, you can spend eternity waiting for something better. If the G5 solves a problem you have, then get it. If it introduces a problem you don't have, then wait until a solution for that problem exists. As far as the speed argument, he's partially correct (see below).

1) If Apple releases a new 2.5 GHz G5, it is likely to include some other upgrades on the logic board, as this has been true with every HW revision in the G4 family.
2) If you are a small business or independent contractor, you should buy a new machine before the end of the year (for tax purposes) if you can afford it -- business expenses.
3) With Apple's new "open announcements" policy, where a big event is unneccessary to release a new big product, nobody here can tell you when the next G5 revision will occur. Macworld seems likely, but you can't guarantee anything.
4) FWIW, if you have dual 2.0 GHz machine (net 4.0 GHz) and a dual 2.5 GHz machine (net 5.0 GHz) that's 125% faster. The only time you would see that increase is in rendering, where (theoretically) you would gain back 15 minutes on the hour.

Ge4-ce
11-19-2003, 03:11 PM
seems to mee those are enough reasons to wait until January.. :D no, seriously.. I don't have the cash right now :D But I will have in december.. But then it would be stupid to buy something that in January will be replaced! (like it did last 5 years!!))

And.. a quarter for every hour is like.. 7,5 seconds instead of 10.. man!! that's like Awesome.. :rolleyes: but what really counts is.. that my current renders done on a 1Ghz powerbook will see some speed increase.. and then it is 1GHZ vs 5 GHZ meaning 5 times as fast instead of 4 times.. (only based on Ghz.. not to mention motherboard and stuff)

mlinde
11-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Ge4-ce, if you are looking to buy a workstation, you are better off buying before January 1, 2004, solely for the 2003 tax write-off. Especially if it's a $3000+ machine that you can write off completely as a workstation.

Other than that, it's personal preference. I got a Dual 800 G4 that way, even though three weeks later it was EOL and the new dual 1 GHz was introduced at MacWorld. I'm very happy with my machine still.

Jimzip
11-19-2003, 11:51 PM
" Dual 1.8 G5 released! + new 20" iMac"
I know. I was very excited to see iMac's bigger sister come along yesterday morning! And then the dual 1.8Ghz's! >Sigh< the Apple store around the corner from me sent an e-mail saying that they'd dropped all the prices on their G5's because of the new releases.
If I hadn't picked up my new 1Ghz iBook today, I'd be tempted!! :cool:

P.S, because this forum is slowly becoming infested with trolls, I suggest that whenever a comment appears you don't like or are offended by, completely ignore it and continue with the topic. That really peeves the trolls off! :p

Peace y'all.
Jimzip :D

stef
11-20-2003, 12:17 AM
The new iMac brings larger 20" screen, but no G5 or dual G4 inside. PowerBooks are offered with a pitiful and so-last-century one-button clicking solution and no dual G4 inside, with better acclaimed design accorded e.g. "Ferrari", driven by the 'dark side'. Meanwhile the Intel side offers a dizzying variety of other models, e.g. the latest Sony's laptops X505, U101, TR2 which are excellent and exciting. If only they would run on OSX, SO FAR a superior operating system, but S. Jobs will not listen... Without licensing OSX for use in PC-s Apple is, in my view, a loosing game due to Linux beefing up and Leghorn coming.
With NT's superior treatment of Windowz platform how not to contemplate a switch?
Let's put a narrow minded view aside and look at how things are in A.D. 2003/4 -
Lightwave for Mac will not become all of a suddden at par with WinIntel. BTW I am more interested in a laptop solution so G5 does not interest me at this stage.

Ade
11-20-2003, 12:23 AM
Some pc ppl still compare Apple with pc clones...

They dont understand these big companies make money by releasing things in increments so they dont canabilise sales...

G5 in powerbooks is being sort out, rumours of liquid cooling... Just look at the cooling a g5 tower needs, now look at how thin a powerbook is.. Give it time..
As for one button mice:
1)are you too poor to buy or use your pc 3 button mouse? OSX even supports scroll wheel.

2)Why are u even using a mouse for 3d...gimme wacom anyday.

Paul Lara
11-20-2003, 09:00 AM
PLEASE be mature enough to avoid platform flame-wars, ok?

This thread is now closed.