PDA

View Full Version : Where did you start?

Samoht VII
01-18-2014, 01:36 AM
I love 3d animations. It is my dream to work with this technology but I am struggling to find motivation. I try and model something and it turns out crap or I can't finish it how I like and lose interest. I can't see myself improving.

I want to know how everyone started out. I had a 3d modelling course at University and have work on and off for a year or 2 after and I am struggling to improve which is disappointing to think it was a waste.
How often did you model. What did you do to improve.

It's all gonna come down to practice, practice, practice, but I hope your stories can motivate me once again.

and where are you now? Job or portfolio of work or any links would be encouraging.

Thanks.

Surrealist.
01-18-2014, 09:55 AM
In a nutshell, you can not expect to go leaps and bounds. You have to be willing to improve very slowly. 3D is very technologically oriented. So although studying the docs might not seem artistic, it is putting you more in control of your art. There are really two main ways you can get frustrated. That is to try and go too fast or to not fully understand what you are doing which can lead to failure and frustration. And one can feed the other. If you try to cut corners and create too much without taking the time to learn the tools, this can cause you be limited in what you can do and that leads to more heartbreak.

Another thing that helps is to study traditional art. If have not done that you should. If you have and can not translate it to 3D, then it is simply a matter of not having taken the time to learn the new medium. Like when the first time you had to learn to stretch canvas or mix paint and any of the very basic skills of the craft which when you break them down are not very romantic. Just a lot of hard work. But none of those things came easy at first. Then they became second nature. It takes a long time to learn to do something well.

And another thing that can be an issue is not using reference material. It is best to always be using something as a reference. Even if you are creating something that does not exist. Use some photos of things that do and translate them. Always pull inspiration from the real world. And when you want to create something, research the hell out of it until you fully understand it. Do that before you start creating anything. it could mean looking at 100 photos of things related or of the thing you are going to make. Not just references to trace from in the but views that tell you more about the thing you are making.

So here is a short "I'm feeling frustrated" checklist:

1) Do you understand the tools you are working with?

Did you really go over the docs, tutorials and all of the information you can find related to the tools you are working with and have you studied these and practiced to the point you don't have to think much about them before trying to create something meaningful?

2) Are you trying to do something over your head technically or creatively?

3) Are you cutting corners to create?

Basically are you thinking, "Well I don't want to study this now, or research this now because I need to create something."?

4) Have you done your research on what you are creating? Or researched a similar thing in the real world to something that does not exist?

5) Are you using reference material while you create?

6) Is there anything at all you don't fully understand about the tools you are using or the thing you are creating?

That should cover most of the reasons why you get frustrated and want to give up.

Hope this helps.

Polygert
01-18-2014, 10:11 AM
That is some very good advise "Surrealist" , i am in now way a good artist jet, trying to learn the basic things....i think video tutorials are the way to get up and running...
The problem i always struggle with is the fact that i never finish something completely, ending up with nothing to show, nothing to compare so you can see you're progress.....so my advise: hang in there and even how crappy it looks finish you're projects! (better listen to that advice myself, héhé)

jeric_synergy
01-18-2014, 10:13 AM
and when you are tired and discouraged, remember this:

"Repetition makes the master."

spherical
01-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Well, I'm still starting, even though I've been using LW since v5.6. Stepped lessons are boring to me. Following a predetermined example will get me to learn the necessary steps but it is difficult to maintain the basic interest required through the whole thing. Videos are a magnitude better but then if you don't follow along with your own example the concepts have difficulty making it from short term memory into long term memory. The video was great and kept my interest up, and I feel enriched for having watched it but it's like the proverbial Chinese food. An hour later, I find that I'm not retaining as much as I'd like. So, I go back and re-run them multiple times to fill in the blanks that I thought I got but then couldn't recall.

A lesson or a video isn't a challenge. They're solutions. Solutions to problems that I have no connection with. If I have a challenge, however, I can hang the solutions that I find onto it and move forward. I learn more deeply than I will by exposing myself to an arbitrary content that I have no connection to.

What I tend to do is look at a particular end goal that is a real project and ask "Can I do this using LightWave?" Then go about solving all of the challenges that pop up along the way. This works better for me, because I have relevant examples that mean something more to me than a given example task will have. The challenge means something directly to me.

On some levels, it is inefficient. Searching for solutions can consume a lot of time but I also find that along the way I discover solutions tangent to the one I am seeking; so it does have a silver lining benefit. Sometimes, those tangents are so interesting that they distract me from the original project for a bit.

So, my flow is something like this:

I go as far as I can in the project with what I do know. This level increases with every project.
When I get stuck, I make judicial use of the index (or search, if a digital version) in the manual (which is why the manuals are so important to be in good order) and/or search the Net for answers.
Failing that, I ask here. This is always the last option. n00b questions are OK, as long as you've done your part first.

Essentially, it boils down to a basic approach to life:

Do that which you are passionate about. It is the only thing you will be really great at.

I have been fortunate to have created some wonderful things by taking this path.

erikals
01-19-2014, 12:03 AM
learn from the best,

for CA, buy Rebelhill's tutorials
also Ryan's IKBooster tutorials

for modeling, take a look at my hard surface modeling tricks
http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/search?query=hard

but also take a look at other great tutorials made by other wavers...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?125893-LightWave-Training-just-a-list

there's tons to learn... find the best, learn from the best...
...and study function / form / dynamics / evolution

djwaterman
01-19-2014, 04:14 AM
When it seems a little tedious, just think ahead to when you can put it into Layout and starts surfacing and rendering and see it come to life. Ultimately you are sitting in front of a computer and it is probably totally normal for someone to lose interest when there are so many other more fun things to do, so if this is not working for you there is no shame in quitting now before it consumes more of your life, as it will if you stick with it.

If I was you I would set myself a modest project, and just get into it and get it finished, good or bad just complete it, and then if you still feel like giving up after that at least you'll know for sure you gave it a good try. Remember also that you aren't required to learn all the tools or the right way to do anything, we all have crappy old work we did when we started out, but you only need to know what you need to know, it might only be about five tools you end up using most of the time to get stuff done and using a few tools repeatedly will build up your confidence to the point where you can start to discover the other tools.

You only get better by spending more time in Lightwave doing the work, even trying other programs might help, you really need to just set yourself a goal and see it through. You'll learn something from doing that, even if that's finding you don't want to continue with CGI, at least you'll know.

(just one other thing, in this dream profession that you want to work in, not everyone is modelling or animating, some people just do lighting, or texturing, ZBrush concept sculpts, or just animate , or just rig, or just do water simulations or just do particle effects, or just do compositing. Their are Maya animators out there that don't know what button to push to set off a render, you get my drift, failure to make a decent looking model is not necessarily a deal breaker. )

DrStrik9
01-19-2014, 09:02 AM

I like that quote, but I prefer "Practice makes permanent."

The old maxim, "practice makes perfect" is misleading, unless what you are repeating is "perfect" to begin with. If the technique is flawed then repetition makes the flawed technique "permanent." This is why piano teachers encourage their young students to model perfect technique, but especially at first to practice SLOWLY.

VictoryX
01-20-2014, 12:07 AM
I don't think there is a single modeler, animator or whatever that doesn't have a **** ton of uncompleted projects. Personally I have stopped working on so many different personal projects I have probably gigs of wasted space on my hard drive of random crap that came to me in a fever dream. Which is fine as long as I learned something from those projects. Modeling for me is like doodling there really is no end point to it, just having fun and oh wow I didn't know about that tool or that setting, cool. Then my next model looks a tiny bit better cause this new tool, and if I can do that and use this other tool with it oh **** that is awesome nice, now I have something cool to look at. Then I decide to try take on a large project from my own self inflated ego and fail miserably, trash it and start something else. Repeat until that thing that was once really hard and miserable I can now do quickly and it's fun until I find the next thing that is a pain in the *** to do. That's been my workflow anyways, seems efficient to me lol.

Surrealist.
01-20-2014, 03:39 AM
I remember when I started getting back into modeling again full on years ago, I was trying to really nail the organic thing. Learning to use subpatches to create heads. There always seemed to be a point into it I would look at the model and think.... man, I suck. This is a piece of [email protected]#$%^! But for some reason, I'd just keep going. lol With no real indication I had any business doing so! But what happened was I'd finish it. And look at it and think, OK. Not what I expected, but it is a [email protected]#$%^& of a lot better than what I thought it could ever be.

And it is strange, it seems like I always move through a point on most projects where I get that... "man this is not going in the right direction" feeling. But I always get through it out of nothing more than persistence and come out the other side with something nice.

So I'd say there has to be something said for giving yourself little "wins" along the way. So yeah, just finish stuff. Even if it is not perfect, or nothing you'd ever show anyone. Just give yourself a win. Without those, and with a littered past of all of the failures where you stopped during one of those "this sucks" phases, it can wear on you.

This kind of ties in to other things. But the idea is to give yourself projects and things you can do that build your confidence. And be patient with yourself. I am at a point in my art where it is kind of frustrating. I see people's work, and I go... man I know I know how to do that. And then I look at my portfolio and I say... "WTF?" I don't have anything close to that that proves it. But I know something is about to break open. Because meanwhile behind the scenes, I have been honing my craft. Working on testing of certain features and just getting little wins on this or that thing. Nothing to show really, but breaking the art side of it into the various technical hurdles. Hair, Cloth, Rendering, UV mapping, Sculpting, Painting etc. And I am building all of these various skills independently on different personal projects as well as paid projects. Each time I do a paid project all of the things I had studied now come into play, but I also am getting better and better at UV mapping for instance, working with photoshop. Just in the last 2 years I have made leaps and bounds over where I was before that.

So even with all of that work now under my belt it still seems like the ultimate goal to me in my work - a great looking full on character with cloth and hair , good textures etc. rendered with animation in a great looking environment - is so far off it seems impossible. And I respect more and more the work that other people do.

This is not an easy craft, especially if you want to be a generalist as I do.

But I don't think I'd have gotten this far if I looked on what I did too critically, or taken criticism the wrong way.

I think you have to have a balance of realistic as to where you are and where you want to be as well as, give yourself a break. Don't be hard on yourself. Take the wins as small as they may come and build on them.

pinkmouse
01-20-2014, 04:44 AM
Learning is different for everyone, and you need to find the best way for you. That is 90% of the battle. I thrive on problem solving, so I'll frequently look though the forums, see what problems people are having, and try and solve them myself. Sometimes, I come up with a workable solution, and post it. Other times, I don't. But every time I push my skills, and learn something.

jeric_synergy
01-20-2014, 08:43 AM
The secret to completing things is do things you CAN complete.

As a beginner, you should participate in the Speed Modeling Challenges-- they are an excellent motivator and worst case, you're down an hour or so.

Chose the SIMPLEST project you can imagine and are INTERESTED IN, then simplify it some more, then begin. Something less than twenty seconds would be practical.

One thing I 've always intended (but never done) is take the IKEA catalog, put an hour an the timer, blindly open the catalog, and model some random IKEA product. Do that for a week and I guarantee you'll have a much better handle on Modeler.

Surrealist.
01-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Another thing that I think is important is to work to grasp the fundamentals of things. And just knowing that there are fundamentals. That there are always a very small handful of basic things you can come to know or work out on just about any subject. There is no mystery really on anything.

And in a thread like this where you can get input from all directions, all good, all valid, it can start to seem a bit confusing, or maybe it is hard to apply a value to the information. And that right there is an important aspect to this. How do you assign importance to information?

You know I don't think anyone has wrote the definitive book on 3D. Or maybe I have not become aware of it. Rather, it seems there are gems hidden in tutorials and things you pick up here and there, and it is sort of a free for all, every man for himself, kind of situation. You do kind of have to continually seek out information and eventually compile your own personal list of things that seem valid to you.

And there is validity to each person having their own approach.

But I would modify that by two things.

The first is it is better to say that you have to look at things from the view of what is true for you from your own experience. That is a little different. So what that means is you can get information from someone about a feature or tool, and how it works or should work or has worked for them etc. But that is not valid information. What is valid, is taking this information and testing for yourself, how that applies to what you are doing and what it is you want to have happen as an end result. As well as your own standard of quality. So a person can say tool X is "the best" or "the only tool you'll every need" for situation Z. Well that does not really mean anything. That is just someone talking. What you have to do is then take that, test the tool in your own situation. You might find that, no, sorry. That tool is not the one I am looking for and does not do what it is that I want.

But to do that it takes very astute study on your own. It takes time and practical testing.

The other thing I would say that modifies this is that it is better so say everyone has their own strong points and weak points to how they approach things. So that becomes, "well that does not work for me". "Or I can not learn that way". That is all well and good until you come to realize that grasping a subject fully requires you have a broad spectrum of things you are able to do. Read the manual, do testing, interact online, help solve problems, work on personal projects, set realistic goals, finish things, do tutorials etc. etc. If only one or two of those things are your natural inclination, then it is likely you are in fact weak at your approach to those things. Perhaps English is not your first language and reading manuals is difficult. In that case you might seek out a course in English if most things are not written in your language. Just as an example. Or perhaps you do not look up terms you don't understand as you go. And that can cause issues. Manuals can be written poorly. So you may have to be able to be persistent and fill in the gaps by using google or forums. But not from any view other than getting the information you should have gotten from the manual which is a vital piece to the puzzle.

I have even had a guy try to make the argument. Well, not everyone needs to read the manual to understand the basics of a program. He had learned software A,B and C, all from simple bullet points or basic tutorials and online questions as to these things etc.

Well that is all good. Up to the point that this guy is not really getting by without the vital information that the manual had to offer. He simply differed the work to someone else to then interpret and simplify etc and present to him.

And this is a very slow and second hand way to get information. No tutorials will cover all the things that the manual does. And you are then at the mercy of that persons interpretation and weakness in understanding the manual. This has happened to me many times from even good sources or paid tutorials. Things simply left out or glossed over. And the purpose of the tutorial is not to take the place of the manual but as an additional practical example of application. And you should hopefully learn things the manual is not able to teach and is beyond the scope of what a manual should be teaching.

So, there could be other things you are weak in such as testing. Read up on how scientific studies are done. Look into how to go about testing something to be sure you are doing it as logically as possible. For example testing one slider or effect at a time. Don't change 2 or 3. Just see the change on 1 first, then put it back where it was, then adjust 2 and see what that does by itself and so on.

Everything you can do has been done before and people have written about it. I'd say better than 90 percent of what know in 3D (aside from manuals)is because of the work and testing other people have done. A lesser percentage of that has been my own testing. And even most of that is just confirming what other people have already done. Or indexing a series of things. For example my subpach tutorial is nothing more than a compilation of information that was already available. Added to that were some of my own observations and of course my organization of the information in what I thought was the most logical way to look at it. But it was the smaller part of it.

So I think teaching what you know is also a great way to force you into the driver's seat. You have to start looking at the information logical enough to present to other people. And this will show up your own weaknesses in the subject. I understood so much more about subpatch modeling when I finished the tutorial than when I started. And a lot of it was because I was coming online and trying to teach what I had found in a way that I thought people could grasp.

And back to my first point. With the knowledge that the basics of anything can be very simple and only a few points. It does not have to be mysterious.

From there putting them to use is just a lot of hard work. Nothing can take the place of that. And it is from that work that come the great things you can teach others and the great things you can learn from watching people who have done it so well for so long.

But it is a package deal. I don't think you can single one or two things out. You have to take on as many things as you can.

ernpchan
01-22-2014, 10:16 AM
I love 3d animations. It is my dream to work with this technology but I am struggling to find motivation. I try and model something and it turns out crap or I can't finish it how I like and lose interest. I can't see myself improving.

Are you losing interest because you're frustrated with your skillset or because you're modeling something you're not that interested in? I would suggest picking something you're into. Are you into cars, planes, old WWII bombers, Gundams, etc? Pick something you like as that'll make the process more fun.

Don't get lost focusing on the whole item. Modeling is the process of building the parts to make the whole.

I want to know how everyone started out. I had a 3d modelling course at University and have work on and off for a year or 2 after and I am struggling to improve which is disappointing to think it was a waste.
How often did you model. What did you do to improve.

I was on a project where I was an animator but the Director wasn't happy with me so the LP moved me over to modeling. I had always saw myself as more of an animator, after all I concentrated in character animation in college, so this was a huge punch to the gut emotionally but also potentially financially. I was in and out of the studio as a freelancer as I was let go because a show was cut short. So I was already in a financially difficult situation. It's no fun asking your friend for rent money help. So when I was moved over to modeling I made it a personal goal to be the best modeler on the team to both show the Director and LP that I was valuable but to insure job security. Everyday I made it a personal challenge to complete my assignments as fast as possible. It became a game to me after awhile. In the end I became one of the faster artists on the team. So that personal situation pushed my modeling skills the most. When you're in a situation where you have to do something, you'll find yourself growing the most.

and where are you now? Job or portfolio of work or any links would be encouraging.

After college I was with Foundation Imaging for a year and a half. After that I was with Nickelodeon for 12+ years as an animator and then became the Post Production CG Supervisor/Digital Animation Supervisor. Now I'm with DreamWorks Animation,TV as the Digital Animation Supervisor.

Riff_Masteroff
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
". . . . I want to know how everyone started out . . . . .Thanks. "

Quite a while ago, I crafted (made) wooden furniture and stuff. And then, I read an article in Fine Woodworking magazine.
Someone had modeled a piece of furniture they intended to make on a 40k usd Silicon Graphics workstation.
For me it was quite a chore to physically make models. I still have one. Not photographed yet. I should. Its been decades.
Physical models tend to last longer than hard drives. Some of the resulting furniture might even last centuries. Maybe.

Bought trueSpace to do that work. Not accurate enough. And then LW5.6c. That worked good.

My day job was 'construction'. All phases. Eventually I integrated my use of LW into that.
People (mostly structural engineers) on the 'design team' would come to my desk, frequently enough, and ask: How did you do that?

Then, as time passed on, I retired. Now, I would like to start my own thread on various SS (Structural Steel) models I have messed with.
Mostly modeled in LW modeler by me. For construction use. Accurately. Many times without LWCAD. Didn't have a crystal ball at that time or even now.

And . . . yes . . . eventually, I would like to start a thread or two on how those integrate with the rest of it. Which I also have.

Greenlaw
01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
I was really motivated to create my first animation when I was about six or seven and I saw how to make a flipbook on TV. I think it was an old 'Mr Wizard' show or something like that, and my first animation was a bouncing ball. My second animation was a Pink Panther walk cycle (the funny skip walk he does.) Later, I learned about stop-motion through Famous Monsters of Filmland and Starlog magazines, and my dad loaned me his 8mm film camera so I could make my own dinosaur 'epic'. After that, I just kept on going.

When I got out of high school, I focused mainly on a drawing career, and when computer graphics became accessible/affordable, I got back into animation.

When I was younger, my inspiration tended to come from favorite books, comics, movies, and TV shows. Nowadays it mainly comes from my family, friends and whatever is going on the world that interests me. I'm much happier with my latter work, and I think it's more entertaining too. :)

G.

Greenlaw
01-23-2014, 01:51 PM
For me, all creative projects can be a learning experience, whether I'm getting paid for it or doing it for fun. Since I don't always have control over the commercial workflow, I'll talk about how I keep things interesting in my personal work.

First, you need an idea of course. My ideas mostly come to me randomly, and because of that, I write them done the moment they hit me. You don't need to immediately dive into writing a book or script, just scribble down a few notes. I usually carry a small pocket notebook with me just for these occasions. At home I keep several 'idea' files where I store all my notes and I make sure these files are easily searchable so I can expand on individual ideas over time. After some time, I'll have grown several ideas that are mature enough to develop into full projects. I don't always know which one I'll be working on next--most of the time, an opportunity or event will come up where I just 'happen' to have the right project for it.

Second, you need a plan. When I'm ready, I have a procedure I like to follow. First, write a treatment. This can be just a couple of paragraphs that describe the project as concisely as possible. Usually, I already have this from my initial 'brainstorm' notes. Then, I write a script--I do this whether I'm writing for a comic strip or a short film, or if it's some other type of project, I make a plan usually in the form of a mind map. (I like to use an opensource program called FreePlane (http://freeplane.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page), a variant of FreeMind. Then, I start blocking things out--if it's a comic, I do a thumbnail version of the entire project, and if it's a short film, I create a storyboard. Once I'm done with this stage, the project is pretty much on it's way to getting done.

I have a couple of articles on our website that illustrate the process.

Storyboarding Happy Box (http://www.littlegreendog.com/studio/sessions/003/sessions003_001.php#.UuFmprTTldg)

Anatomy of a Brudders Comic (http://www.littlegreendog.com/studio/sessions/002/sessions002_001.php#.UuFmqbTTldg)

An important thing to keep in mind is to keep your projects realistically achievable. Engineer your project to meet your current skill level and resources, and maybe push yourself just a little beyond what you know you can do so you can grow. Start with something small, and then when you've accomplished your goal, develop the next project, something a little bigger and just a little more challenging. If you try to do something too ambitious for where you are, you will get frustrated and possibly discouraged.

In my case, I started with comic strips because that was something I felt I could do with my limited free time. Then, I decided to make a cg music video (http://vimeo.com/channels/littlegreendog/68543424) using my comic strip characters--that was where I may have reached too far too soon because I tried to incorporate a lot of new tech that I actually had very little experience with--in this case it was homebrew motion capture. So I took a step back and developed a simpler short film which was designed to help me learn what I needed in order to accomplish the more complicated project. This second film project (Happy Box (http://vimeo.com/channels/littlegreendog/55185005)) turned out to be more doable for me and it absolutely prepared me to revisit the first film project with confidence.

Also, you need to know when to quit working on something and calling it done. I guess I'm still learning that one with the music video project. This project started out very simply but as new tools and tech became available to me (FiberFX, Bullet Dynamics, ZBrush FiberMesh, etc.,) I had let the project grow into an overwhelming monster (for me anyway.) Then, last summer, a friend of mine told me that "'done' leads to 'more'," and I remembered all the other projects I still wanted work on. So I put the brakes on 'feature creep' and began simplifying the remaining shots. I'm happy to say, this film has become 'doable' and is on it's way to being done. Yay!

The nice thing about this process is that it's scalable. My intention is to keep applying this process towards bigger projects in the future, like graphic novels, animated series, and feature films even. When I'm ready for it, of course. :)

Finally, the most important thing is to keep the project fun or meaningful to yourself. Otherwise, what's the point?

I hope you will find this information helpful in getting started and I wish you good luck for your own creative projects!

G.

colkai
01-24-2014, 03:32 AM
I like that quote, but I prefer "Practice makes permanent."

The old maxim, "practice makes perfect" is misleading, unless what you are repeating is "perfect" to begin with. If the technique is flawed then repetition makes the flawed technique "permanent." This is why piano teachers encourage their young students to model perfect technique, but especially at first to practice SLOWLY.

Learning / improving my guitar skills and this quote is one I had never heard until I watched one of the tutors videos, (justinguitar.com for those interested), but it is absolutely true. I have a friend who is also trying to improve, but he will not slow down enough to learn the basics and so, is "perfecting" his bad habits. With 3D, I try to go at things a couple of times, from different angles, it may seem boring, but sometimes leads to an "a-ha" moment as you either refine something, or find you were doing it in less than an efficient manner.

I tackle basic objects until I am "fluent" enough to move onto other items / scenes, worked for me for LW and I apply the same technique to learning other 3D software. Before you can run, you must first learn to walk, before you can walk, you must learn to crawl. Now that can occur quite quickly, but never overlook the basics. :)

lardbros
01-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Very good question!

I used to find CG stuff pretty frustrating, back when I started using Imagine3D, or Extreme3d, and 3dsMax... back when it was r2... I really struggled. Hardly any info online... rough manuals to try and learn how things worked... and a huge learning curve. I was frustrated, but eager to learn, and knew the ways I was doing things weren't the most straight-forward, but kept at it. Don't be afraid to click on everything... it's the best way to learn.
The difficulty I used to have was knowing which tools were for what. I used to blindly read a manual, see a tool explained to me, but never know when it was correct to use it.
Now I know that there's no 'right' way of using a tool... but knowing the tools that are available, you can pick and choose one of all of them to get your work done. It's the case of knowing what each button does, and trying to remember it that's the key.

I guess since then, I went back and forth between LightWave and 3dsMax and also tried most other packages (XSI, TrueSpace, Blender) and found that 3dsMax and LightWave suited my workflow. I flit between the two depending on the job at hand. Rendering certain passes in either, and comping them together in AE.

There will always be a EUREKA moment while you're working! There'll be hundreds, if not thousands, throughout your life, and each time you have one... that part becomes almost second nature and you move to the next level effectively. Mental Ray used to be a nightmare to me... but after years of use, i've tamed it... or figured out what everything means, and all of its idiosyncrasies. This WILL happen. I had one of these moments with modelling. Suddenly, after reading one tutorial the person who wrote it must have said something that 'clicked' in my mind... it all suddenly made sense, and I found it much easier. Also, no matter how good you are, there will still be sticking points where you lose inspiration, or get stuck!... this is the time to watch things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisjonestube

All I need to do, is watch these videos from beginning to end, and it inspires me to carry on with what I was doing! Thanks Chris! :D

Persevere...
Wait for those EUREKA moments...
Learn some more complicated stuff... :D

greg.reyna
02-03-2014, 01:03 PM
and when you are tired and discouraged, remember this:

My Lightwave motto has been 'Start Over'. Psychologically, the most difficult thing for me has been to learn to recognize when to abandon what I've been doing, and start fresh with new knowledge. This is especially painful when I've put a lot of time into something, but it's even more painful to continue forward into what inevitably will become a dead-end.