PDA

View Full Version : Modeler OBJ Export settings per target application?

sami
01-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Hey, I'm updating my Morphs2OBJs script for 11.6.1 and wanted to add an extra little feature to make it easier to export to OBJ for target applications. I'm also fixing it for Mac users.

For example, I'll have a dropdown with Unity, Maya, etc in it and it will automatically set the bunch of OBJs to the correct General Options settings for that target application. Problem is, I don't know the exact settings for all popular apps. If you know the settings for a particular app, can you please tell me which settings for which app, and I'll make some "Export presets" for myMorphs2OBJs app (btw it exports the base too, so even if you don't have morphs this might be an easier way to export OBJs without forgetting to set the OBJ settings.

Here's the General Options panel (in older versions of LW it also had a ZBrushMode setting - but I suspect that is not needed anymore with GoZ?). So which of these settings should be what for each of Maya, Unity, 3DCoat, Poser, etc (I'm assuming they are different for some, but mostly the same?).

http://imgur.com/cobwOOQ.gif

Btw the 11.6.1 SDK help says this is what they mean (though it is out of date since it still mentions ZBrushMode:

The OBJ loader and saver has several options. When loading, the order of the vertices can be changed in memory. Several of the options do change the vertex order.

OBJWriteNormals nenabled
Saves vertex normal into the OBJ file if enabled.

OBJMergePoints nenabled
Removes duplicate vertices from the OBJ file. This command does affect vertex order.

OBJZBrushMode nenabled
Uses LightWaves old OBJ exporter. It is compatible with ZBrush.
This command does affect vertex order.

OBJPivotInCenter nenabled
If enabled,the OBJ is loaded with the pivot point in the center.
Otherwise the OBJ is loaded with the pivot point at the origin.

OBJOneLayer nenabled
Saves all OBJ data in a single layer. This command does affect vertex order.

OBJOneVMap nenabled
If enabled, the vertex map is merged into a single vertex map when saved.

OBJImportScale gscale
All OBJ vertices are scaled to this value when loaded.

OBJExportScale gscale
All OBJ vertices are scaled to this value when saved.

raw-m
01-18-2014, 02:50 AM
Great news (especially for a Mac user!). Can't help with the other stuff but can you add VideoCoPilots Element to your list of target apps? :D

sami
01-18-2014, 03:42 AM
Great news (especially for a Mac user!). Can't help with the other stuff but can you add VideoCoPilots Element to your list of target apps? :D

sure - do you know which of these settings works for video copilots elements?

raw-m
01-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Not entirely sure, I think they all play a part. I know LW has an issue between parts on layers being used as multiple parts in Element but would have to confirm. In summary, I'm not much use.

sami
01-18-2014, 03:34 PM
If anyone doesn't mind sharing what their Modeler OBJ settings are and what programs they use the exported OBJ in successfully, that would be greatly appreciated - thanks! :)