PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Editor Manual

jaxtone
01-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Is there possibly a reference manual to the Graph Editor somewhere?

I need to know how to copy a piece of a curve and place it at another place it at another placerit further down the road!

When I try the command (ALT+RMB select curve) that the Graph Editor suggest nothing happens.

daforum
01-17-2014, 07:19 AM
I know on a Mac you need to highlight the KEYFRAMES you want to copy, then hold down ctrl and apple keys while dragging the keys to where you want to place them.

That has saved me lots of work so many times!

On a PC it's probably fairly similar (except not the apple key of course!)

jaxtone
01-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Yeah! I have tried that and it worked in earlier versions but not in LW 11.6.1. installed on a computer with Windows 7 Professional Swedish language version.

I am stucked and thatīs why I was looking for some kind of manual... sometimes manuals can teach how to do things differently!

DesertRat
01-17-2014, 08:53 AM
LightWave Layout 10.1, chapter 16, page 75 "Graph Editor"...although on my computer it says I'm on page 88...

The LightWave manuals should be available for download in your account. I think LW 10.1 is the latest for the "bulk" of the manual, and they have been releasing "Addendum" manuals for 11.

jaxtone
01-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks DesertRat!

I will check this up immediatly!

jaxtone
01-17-2014, 10:38 AM
DesertRat!

Still no success. I add an image of the problem!

DesertRat
01-17-2014, 01:12 PM
jaxtone, I think you need to hover the pointer over the curve where you want to insert the copied keyframes. You should see a little arrow with a frame number where you want to insert, then it should copy the curve.

jeric_synergy
01-17-2014, 02:09 PM
OK, I had a heck of a time doing this, and I've been using LW for a couple months. And the presence of "Copy Selected Keys" in the GE menus but NOT "Paste Keys" is kinda confusing.

Once I realized the hotkey was "v", no CNTRL, no SHIFT, no ALT, plus the mouse MUST be over the curve, I could paste like a madman.

You'll know you're over the curve when the cursor changes shape EVER SO SLIGHTLY. @^@
+++
EDIT: ah, I was doing it purely w/hotkeys, in W7 the manual described procedure worked perfectly, but as mentioned above the Cursor MUST intersect the curve in question, which means you can't simply move left/right, you have to move the cursor to hit the curve.

Once you do that, as another commenter said above, a little window w/the frame # appears , and releasing the RIGHT mouse button pastes the keys.

DesertRat
01-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Once I realized the hotkey was "v", no CNTRL, no SHIFT, no ALT, plus the mouse MUST be over the curve, I could paste like a madman.

I didn't realize this until just now, thanks for pointing it out! So counterintuitive... :)

jeric_synergy
01-17-2014, 05:00 PM
In the Hotkey editor, the GRAPH EDITOR is separate-- it has (potentially) different hotkeys than the "main" program. You might want to browse thru there.

I might have set PASTE to "v" long ago, I don't remember.

raw-m
01-18-2014, 02:09 AM
Try this:
http://www.timaxmedia.com/html/help/Keyframing.htm

It's a little old but still relevant, in fact there's a ton of stuff there that I didn't know about that I use all the time now.

Edit. On second reading, possibly not that useful to this post but still good info!

jeric_synergy
01-18-2014, 11:39 AM
YMMV, but I find a periodic perusal of the GE menus to be worthwhile. There's a lot of obscure functionality in there that is potentially quite useful, esp for CA.

Now that I've been reminded, a check of the GE-specific hotkeys now-and-then is probably a good idea too.

It's a big, confusing program.

jaxtone
01-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Wow! Thanks! This will definitely help a lot in many situations!

Try this:
http://www.timaxmedia.com/html/help/Keyframing.htm

It's a little old but still relevant, in fact there's a ton of stuff there that I didn't know about that I use all the time now.

Edit. On second reading, possibly not that useful to this post but still good info!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot! This information means a lot to me!

OK, I had a heck of a time doing this, and I've been using LW for a couple months. And the presence of "Copy Selected Keys" in the GE menus but NOT "Paste Keys" is kinda confusing.

You'll know you're over the curve when the cursor changes shape EVER SO SLIGHTLY. @^@
+++
EDIT: ah, I was doing it purely w/hotkeys, in W7 the manual described procedure worked perfectly, but as mentioned above the Cursor MUST intersect the curve in question, which means you can't simply move left/right, you have to move the cursor to hit the curve.

Once you do that, as another commenter said above, a little window w/the frame # appears , and releasing the RIGHT mouse button pastes the keys.