PDA

View Full Version : Does cgfx work for real?

merovingio
01-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Hello, i am experimenting with cgfx shader. I tried "lcUberShader_3.0.cgfx" and some other downloaded fron nvidia site. The lcUberShader_3.0.cgfx i mentioned looks like is missing something, like the parameter to put the reflection cubemap in. Also the other ones i downloaded seems always to invert normals of the mesh or make it disappear completely. They also miss most of the parameters you expect to find in.

Do you have any experience about cgfx in Lightwave?

Ryan Roye
01-16-2014, 02:51 PM
As far as I can tell, CGFX functionality in Lightwave is rudementary as of 11.6 and includes only very basic functionalities. I get the same problems on my end and most CGFX shaders won't work with Lightwave. I also get issues where some shaders (IE: metal reflective ones), won't draw properly when multiple objects are in the scene and will make non-cgfx'ed items appear in front of things that they should not.

So, right now CGFX in Lightwave is only really ideal for visualizing bump/normal maps in OpenGL (maybe handy for scenes where you want the silouhette of something to look just right), or making video content demonstrating Lightwave a little prettier.

merovingio
01-16-2014, 03:07 PM
I only need a shader for metal/plastic, with full reflection and some fresnel, gloss and specular options. Can you point me to a shader like this?

Ryan Roye
01-16-2014, 03:26 PM
I only need a shader for metal/plastic, with full reflection and some fresnel, gloss and specular options. Can you point me to a shader like this?

I doubt it's what your looking for; all of the shaders that i've tried are on the Nvidia website (http://developer.download.nvidia.com/shaderlibrary/webpages/shader_library.html) and it seems you've already checked that. It'd be more accurate to say the "reflection" shaders operate more like a more pretty variant of specular... they don't actually project a reflection image that I'm aware of.

Over time I'd like to see more compatibility with some "standard issue" stuff... VPR is nice for visualizing shadows, but it sure would be cool to see it in openGL. there is a plugin for that (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/shadow/), but it doesn't work well on high poly models when "projection" is used.

If there are other resources out there that actually work with Lightwave's CGFX I'd love to hear about it!

merovingio
01-17-2014, 01:56 AM
Do you know about other cgfx library? There is very few example on the nvidia website.

50one
01-17-2014, 03:14 AM
sorry for my dumb question, but is exactly a point of using those shaders?

merovingio
01-17-2014, 04:07 AM
Realtime application of the engine, or pre-visualization of the scene, i guess.

I need it for a realtime application.