PDA

View Full Version : I need to add a reflection to an existing node

digitalimagery
01-15-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm trying to get some text to reflect on a surface but am admittedly not very versed in node editing (this surface was pre-built).

Can someone tell me where I put a reflection node into this diagram so I can get the text to reflect in the surface?

Thank you.
DI

119308 119309

BeeVee
01-15-2014, 02:52 PM
What text in which surface? You can add an Image node (in 2D Textures in the node editor) and apply its Color output to the Mixer node you have there instead of the Gradient or Turbulence, but more information is needed to give a better answer.

B

Tartiflette
01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
If you add a reflection shader node and plug it to the "reflection shading" input of your surface, you will have the same control over the reflection you can have on the various other inputs.
Otherwise, as you're obviously not using a material (if i refer to the node setup you're showing there...) you can just raise the slider in the reflectivity channel in the surface editor tab, it will simply "add" some reflection to your surface.

Hope it helps a bit. :)
But as Ben said it's quite difficult to be more helpful without knowing what you want to do exactly.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

digitalimagery
01-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks BeeVee. I'll mess around with what Tartiflette suggested and see what I get.

DI

digitalimagery
01-15-2014, 03:27 PM
If you add a reflection shader node and plug it to the "reflection shading" input of your surface, you will have the same control over the reflection you can have on the various other inputs.
Otherwise, as you're obviously not using a material (if i refer to the node setup you're showing there...) you can just raise the slider in the reflectivity channel in the surface editor tab, it will simply "add" some reflection to your surface.

Hope it helps a bit. :)
But as Ben said it's quite difficult to be more helpful without knowing what you want to do exactly.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

Simply trying to get a reflection on this surface. The reflection slider is unavailable in the surface editor due to the node editor being active. I'm pretty inexperienced with node editing (this was a pre built surface) so I'm basically trying to determine where to place (and plug) a reflection node into this complex surface diagram. What was suggested isn't getting me access to any control on reflections. Does something need to plug into the reflections node prior to plugging it into the reflection shading port?

In short trying to get the effect I'd normally get using the reflection slider in the surface editor.

Thanks for the help.
DI

MarcusM
01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Unconnect reflection input in surface node then standard reflection settings will be available in surface editor. Why you want do this by node?
If nodes then you must put in value x>0(%), also you can add "Standard" node and connect material to material in surface node.

You should check F1 (Contents) "/LightWave11.5/docs/Help/WebHelp/lightwave_10_help_file.htm" (not working in Chrome) :]

digitalimagery
01-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Unconnect reflection input in surface node then standard reflection settings will be available in surface editor. Why you want do this by node?
If nodes then you must put in value x>0(%), also you can add "Standard" node and connect material to material in surface node.

You should check F1 (Contents) "/LightWave11.5/docs/Help/WebHelp/lightwave_10_help_file.htm" (not working in Chrome) :]

That's all I was looking for. Thanks so much MarcusM (or is it dziękuję?).

Image attached.
DI

MarcusM
01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Yes it's dziękuję, not merci :p i saw this :)

digitalimagery
01-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Yes it's dziękuję, not merci :p i saw this :)

Yeah, thought I was addressing Laurent. Oops.

DI