PDA

View Full Version : modeling question

sadkkf
01-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi--

I'm working on a stylized dog character and am at the paws. The legs come down and I'd like to model the toes, but I have two polys on each side and would like a third for the toes. Think of a box that's split on each side, so two polys on a side. I'd like to bevel out three toes, but only have two polys to work with. Any ideas?

Sorry...I'd post a pic, but I'm not near my computer at the moment.

Thanks!

hrgiger
01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
without seeing the model its hard to say but im sure there are several options. You could create a split in one of the faces and run that extra edge up the leg and merge that somehow into your existing geometry. you could also smooth shift out one side of the foot to create the extra face for the third toe... it really just depends.

sadkkf
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
thanks. Yeah, I should have waited to ask when I could post some screen shots, but I had a quick moment now.

I thought about smooth shifting a side, but fear the leg would look off center.

No matter. I'll post some pix when I have a second.

Thanks again!

MarcusM
01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Add Edge tool and point move on egde or transform tool ;]

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pointmoveonedge/

sadkkf
01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Add Edge tool and point move on egde or transform tool ;]

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pointmoveonedge/

Thanks, but again I'm wondering if adding another set of polys to the side of my model would make the leg look off center.

I may end up modeling the foot separately and merging them onto the legs after.

sadkkf
01-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Here is a screen shot of my dog model:

Here is a sample of what I'm looking to do with the paws (you may recognize him as Phillip from Wallace & Grommit's Curse of the Were Rabbit):

Again, I could smooth shift the bottom of the legs out on one side, but I worry it would look off center. Any thoughts?

hrgiger
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
You could do something like this. I see you basically have an 8 edge cylinder so I duplicated that and created this foot and leg. Here is a screenshot and I've included the model for you to look at(probably have to rename to a .lwo).

And if you want to know this is the basic steps I did to model it.

sadkkf
01-15-2014, 05:45 AM
You could do something like this. I see you basically have an 8 edge cylinder so I duplicated that and created this foot and leg. Here is a screenshot and I've included the model for you to look at(probably have to rename to a .lwo).

And if you want to know this is the basic steps I did to model it.

Wow. Thank you! Extending points is a technique I'm not familiar with so I'll get to learn that in the process. Very nice of you to share the model, too.

Thanks again. This should get me where I want to go and I'll post my results when they're ready to share.

sadkkf
01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
edit: never mind. Got it!

Kuzey
01-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Extender Plus creates geometry but you'll have to move it manually.

As a test...try using merge polygons before and after using Extender plus :)

sadkkf
01-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I've got it now. Never used it before, so I was expecting something different. :)

Kuzey
01-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Ah..you posted before my reply..haha :)

I use Extender Plus on polygons and then Move Plus (right click and drag) for added coolness.

sadkkf
01-18-2014, 12:12 PM
I just edited a previous post. No prob. I'm not sure I'm doing this right. What points should I be grabbing? All of them at the bottom loop or only the four shown?

hrgiger
01-18-2014, 12:31 PM
well if youre trying to duplicate what I did above.... just select the 4 points i hightlighted in red. move them down. Now select one of the two edges on either side of the newly formed polygons. Start extending that and create a loop around the foot (you will have to extrude several times and move each one into place) until you end up at the edge on the other side. The trick is to create the number of sides in your loop to give you the amount of geometry you want to extrude the toes with.

sadkkf
01-18-2014, 12:44 PM
well if youre trying to duplicate what I did above.... just select the 4 points i hightlighted in red. move them down. Now select one of the two edges on either side of the newly formed polygons. Start extending that and create a loop around the foot (you will have to extrude several times and move each one into place) until you end up at the edge on the other side. The trick is to create the number of sides in your loop to give you the amount of geometry you want to extrude the toes with.

Awesome. Thank you! My model has 4 polys on the bottom...should I delete these the rebuild it after the extruding?

hrgiger
01-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Here's a video example of a way you might do this. As far as the bottom, you can leave them. Just create back and bottom of foot by extruding edges or points and welding to create quad polygons Look at the foot example I provided earlier if you need a guide. Some shortcut keys I use during the video you might not see what I'm doing... T for move, Y for rotate, E for extend, P for making a polygon (after selecting 4 points), and to complete the loop around the foot, notice I use the bridge tool to create a polygon between the last two edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Odf7svwNEk&feature=youtu.be

sadkkf
01-18-2014, 01:33 PM
OMG. That's great! Thank you! I've been tinkering with this and always seem to end up with an odd number of points. Your vid helps me a lot. Thank you again!

sadkkf
01-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks again so much. This was a new technique for me and I'm glad to learn it.

Here's my progress so far:

Need to drag some points around to get the shapes I want, but this is very close. I also learned weld points doesn't work with symmetry. :)

torturebori007
01-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Good job...Keep it up and please share the final rendering....

sandman300
01-19-2014, 10:52 PM
I made a model some months ago, Almost the exact same situation. This was how I solved it.

sadkkf
01-20-2014, 07:48 AM
@torturebori007 - Thanks! I'll be sure to post a final version. There is still of work to be done with the mouth, eyes and ears, but when it's done I'll post it.

@sandman300 - That looks similar to where I ended up. How did you do that? HRGiger's method was a real eye-opener for me.

sadkkf
01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Posted a WIP image in the gallery:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139768-Cartoon-dog&p=1363622#post1363622