PDA

View Full Version : how to make a perfect realistic look scene

injacphi
01-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to make a realistic rendering, but with simple parameters. I want a white reflective floor, with a white & grey gradient background, but I'm having problem with the illumination. Which kind of lights should I use, do I need to make a white polys with luminosity dome...?

I just want to render a car, and I want it to look real, a kind studio look.... help me please

If someone have an empty scene with setup to share, I will be very happy to try it.

Thanks

Phil

Sensei
01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Sharp edges are not realistic.
So area light, dome light or other multi sample light is way to go.
Also realistic reflection has always more or less blurring. Metal has the most of time is anisotropic reflection.
Realistic scene has high poly. Especially curved surfaces must be done with enough high poly to not have visible triangulation.
Pipes, spheres must have at least 36 segments. Better more. It also affects later results, better reflections and refractions.

injacphi
01-14-2014, 10:37 AM
It's more like, how many lights and which kind, which kind of backdrop, hdri or not...

Sensei
01-14-2014, 08:18 PM
With just car and ground, without hdri, reflections won't have anything to reflect..

This is question kinda like "how to paint realistic girl".. It's up to you to show what you have right now, and then we can suggest what to change basing on what we see. Otherwise we know nothing..

prometheus
01-14-2014, 11:20 PM
simplest setup, go to the sIBL page and look for some studio HDR, and use together with the sIBL plugin.

you could also try and download some default preset scenes over at www.preset.central.com that has different scaling and some light boxes.
you donīt make polys by domes, wrong term.
you have to create poly plates in modeler give them luminosity in the scene and place them decently in the scene.
otherwise ambient occlusion and some area lights might work nicely, with inversed 2 falloff.

But all this is just getting the lighting nice...what might be even harder is the actuall surfacing, dependent on material used for the shot I would say.

http://www.presetcentral.com/standardscene/
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html (check lightsmith collection,free download)
Plugin...
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/software.html

External renders that might have some extra boost to lighting realism, if you do not know the tricks in native lightwave that is.
kray
octane
maxwell with the fire plugin for lightwave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkuIuGCxBg

Michael

prometheus
01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Also..lightwave 11 and up, check the content files, maybe spyder scene, under the vehicles folder.
sample image of the spyder content-note..not optimized settings since it was before the new unified aa system I guess, so you have to work on the render settings.
1st image srgb colorspace second image linear colorspace...

119299 119300

Michael

50one
01-15-2014, 01:59 AM
Also..lightwave 11 and up, check the content files, maybe spyder scene, under the vehicles folder.
sample image of the spyder content-note..not optimized settings since it was before the new unified aa system I guess, so you have to work on the render settings.
1st image srgb colorspace second image linear colorspace...

119299 119300

Michael

I like this scene, would be even better if someone fomr LWG had fixed the ior on the Windshield hehe.

Simon

prometheus
01-15-2014, 02:31 AM
I like this scene, would be even better if someone fomr LWG had fixed the ior on the Windshield hehe.

Simon

Yes..Itīs a quite nice scene, small image samples of 640x480, and with aa 4 minimum, though values of shading needs to be upped for removal of noice in the metal around 16 or more shading samples, and
maybe 8 light samples, the radiosity needs correction too, splotchy with the default settings... perhaps in miniumum spacing etc..so the whole scene could need someone to optimize it for the lw versions, cant recall how it looked as final render
in lw 11, maybe it wasnīt optimized either in the final render? and only as showcase for VPR?

that small sample with above setting took something around 45 sec to render, on my gtx 560M laptop i7-2670QM 2.2 GHz 8 Gb ram...and I had photoshop and a lot of firefox browser windows going on:)
the shading for the wheel alloy, seem a little odd, I thought it was conductor material, but it is a strange node feed which I would like to understand, it doesnīt look that nice either for wheel alloy..but depends on what you want for the look of it.
And yes..that windshield is screwed up..it seems.

I think I have nagged about this quite some time ago, have they released a content index?, they used to have rendered images and hml pages for the lightwave content in 9 version, but it
nowadays we donīt have that as an index to overview the content sadly.

Michael

alexos
01-15-2014, 02:41 AM
As Michael says, if you're looking for an exterior shot then sIBL is probably your best option - just find a suitable set and have fun with it. If you're looking more for the "product shot" look, then modeling a simple stage is, I think, the only way: just a box with some strategically-placed lumipolys (and no lights), turn on radiosity and there you go - like in the attached image, which took perhaps 5 minutes from modeling to rendering. Or if you're particularly lazy you could go and buy yourself the fancy Dosch3D Car scenes :)

ADP.

prometheus
01-15-2014, 02:50 AM
alexos..indeed so.

modo has this preset illumination pack...
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/kits/slik/

not sure if anything like this is available as a preset pack for lightwave for sale? but perhaps some of that is included in the dosch3d car scenes as alexos mentioned.

otherwise ...always check lightwave content, also check speed modeling free scenes and objects, I think erikals put up a video or index links to a lot of that, some in there might also be helpful.
Michael

Lewis
01-15-2014, 02:58 AM
Reflections/environment (possibly HDRI or Fishers/Luminous panels) is KEY to good car renders but sure you have to create good model and proper materials applied. As for lights, you can render realistic Car without any lights in scene (or just one for more dense shadows) if you have good environment/IBL

50one
01-15-2014, 03:19 AM
alexos..indeed so.

modo has this preset illumination pack...
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/kits/slik/

not sure if anything like this is available as a preset pack for lightwave for sale? but perhaps some of that is included in the dosch3d car scenes as alexos mentioned.

otherwise ...always check lightwave content, also check speed modeling free scenes and objects, I think erikals put up a video or index links to a lot of that, some in there might also be helpful.
Michael

SLIK is great concept but it's an overkill as it's adding crapload of geometry to the scene. I would rather invest some money and buy hdrlight studio.

S

Lewis
01-15-2014, 07:57 AM
I would rather invest some money and buy hdrlight studio.

S

Me too ;) ;).

injacphi
01-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Promotheus, can you share the scenes and the objects of cars that are in the lw11 content?

Thanks everyone for all these very useful links, I will try many of these solutions!!

50one
01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Me too ;) ;).

Since you mostly do cars it should be a no-brainer for you. I've got it and love it, really neat tool, bit pricey tho.

Simon

Lewis
01-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Since you mostly do cars it should be a no-brainer for you. I've got it and love it, really neat tool, bit pricey tho.

Simon

Heheh, that's common misconception, i don't mostly do Cars, I just post them mosttly but I've done 5x more Arch-Viz projects than cars (which is by now at 150+ models) ;).

Skywatcher_NT
01-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Promotheus, can you share the scenes and the objects of cars that are in the lw11 content?

Thanks everyone for all these very useful links, I will try many of these solutions!!

If you buy Lightwave it's all there :thumbsup:

prometheus
01-16-2014, 05:02 PM

No I am afraid I donīt think I can, unless someone from the lw group content managing says I am allowed too, the spyder is lw 11.content, so if you do not have version 11 and up, I think youré out of luck and I
donīt think they are available as content, unless updating.
not sure if they are available in any trial content tough..might be possible.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_lightwave/