PDA

View Full Version : interesting reply from Arnold Render team

saranine
01-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Now the Arnold Render solid angle website has a link where you can email for more information on Arnold.

So I emailed for more information. To my amazement 5 minutes later I got this reply [I have left out who it was and his email]:

Firstly, thanks for your interest in Arnold.

The current focus is Maya and Softimage since that's what the big and medium-sized animation and VFX studios use, and that's where most of our sales are. Alongside this we are also working on Houdini and Katana. There have been some requests for C4D, Lightwave and 3dsmax, but it will be a while until we can spend time developing for those packages - writing a solid plugin is really hard and time consuming. The more people that request this however, the higher the priority this will become for us. In the meantime I will add you to the mailing list to be notified should there be any update on this.

So that we can prioritise correctly, it would be helpful for us to know how many 3D seats you have and how big the opportunity is for Arnold licenses. Also... do you have a website I can visit for further information on the sort of work that you do? This is really useful data as it ensure that we focus on the right products.

If there is anything else I can do to help please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind Regards

So in other words if lightwavers request Arnold plug ins as I did, then there is more of a chance that we could get them.

Danner
01-13-2014, 04:17 AM
I can't tell by your post if you know about this:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132612-Arnold-render-for-Lightwave

adk
01-13-2014, 05:27 AM
It's all a bit confusing to be honest. I've been closely following that thread as I'm very interested in Arnold. I would assume that it would be similar to the way that OCTANE is handled by Otoy & Juan on the LW pluging side. Assuming you somehow manage to get the standalone, and SA let you into their midst :) ... then you simply need to purchase the LW plugin from Juan ? Anyone care to elaborate on this perhaps ?

nemac4
01-13-2014, 08:54 AM
It's all a bit confusing to be honest. I've been closely following that thread as I'm very interested in Arnold. I would assume that it would be similar to the way that OCTANE is handled by Otoy & Juan on the LW pluging side. Assuming you somehow manage to get the standalone, and SA let you into their midst :) ... then you simply need to purchase the LW plugin from Juan ? Anyone care to elaborate on this perhaps ?

That is more or less correct. I don't think it is difficult to purchase Arnold. We started with the beta then moved to a purchase decision. We have been using it at Alter in Chicago for some time though we have just started to look at using it more with Lightwave.

We use other engines too but Arnold is one of the nicer ones.

spherical
01-13-2014, 02:49 PM
The current focus is Maya and Softimage since that's what the big and medium-sized animation and VFX studios use, and that's where most of our sales are.

Ummm... because that's what you develop for. If there's nothing to sell, there'll be no sales. Reap what you sow. Duh. It'd actually be interesting to see just how many seats all over the world are NOT in "big and medium-sized VFX studios" compared to how many that are. And what about all those Emmys that LW keeps winning? Just where are these productions being done?

adk
01-13-2014, 04:26 PM
That is more or less correct. I don't think it is difficult to purchase Arnold. We started with the beta then moved to a purchase decision. We have been using it at Alter in Chicago for some time though we have just started to look at using it more with Lightwave.

We use other engines too but Arnold is one of the nicer ones.

Cheers for that nemac4. I'll get busy writing that email to SA & Juan:thumbsup: