PDA

View Full Version : A feature documentation suggestion

egearbox
01-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Here's something that would really help newbies (like me) and perhaps even "old hands".

Lightwave includes approximately eight zillion separate features and plugins (OK, a slight exaggeration) including many that are from long, long ago and are apparently included for backward compatibility. I understand and support that, but in the coding world (where my daytime job is), when a new feature, or function, or package comes along, the old one may be kept for backward compatibility but is marked as "deprecated" - i.e., "there's a better way to do this now."

It would be great if new versions of LW documentation included some kind of list or roadmap for all features and plugins, saying (for example):

Deforming a Polygonal Mesh: Use the Frammis plugin (Since Version 4 - Deprecated), the Jammis plugin (Since Version 7 - Deprecated), or the Whizbang plugin (Since Version 11 - Recommended).

That way newbs like me could reduce our pain level by only learning the Whizbang plugin instead of struggling to get the Frammis plugin to work and then being told "Why aren't you using the new Whizbang stuff?"

Just a suggestion.

spherical
01-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Because the HolyCrap plugin superseded it just the other day. :) Good suggestion. I've dealt with the same when reading through the most recent full manual, then the next addendum, then the next, then the next... A big improvement has been the bolding of sections in the addenda where stuff has changed or is new. Previous to this, each addendum looked like the one before it and you didn't know if anything had changed or where it was if it did. Reading through the whole thing, trying to pick out that which may be new from the mountain of stuff that you know you've read before, gets old really fast.

egearbox
01-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the support! Nice to know I'm not alone. :)

(Cute cat picture BTW.)

BeeVee
01-16-2014, 04:28 AM
Part of the intention for the new documentation system is to apply just such a versioning. Also, with the addenda, each one completely replaces the previous one so there's no need to keep them all on hand.

B

egearbox
01-16-2014, 10:59 PM
That's awesome news! Keep that good stuff coming!

jeric_synergy
01-17-2014, 12:58 AM
The versioning notices/markers are quite helpful.