PDA

View Full Version : Can emitters make particles fly in random looping paths?

medicalart
01-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Is there a way to randomize the paths of particles from an emitter so that a single particle will cross its own path, and weave in and out, like a pretzel, or like insects in a small swarm? The emitter settings almost get me there, with random trajectory, but no loops or back tracking.
Thanks in advance.

cagey5
01-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Have you tried modifying the path with wind. Maybe the donut setting would give you loops etc. Not tried that combination myself but might give it a try if I get time.

medicalart
01-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Yes, wind settings work. Thanks.

prometheus
01-12-2014, 08:41 PM
yes, donut works to loop, or rotation wind, use particle velocity channels and textures to add turbulence to the looped particles.

a simple setup could be a particle swarm of firefly, maybe 100 particles set to birth rate of 100 and max 100 particles, add a directional wind, but turn off the default 1m y directional values, now enter the textured channels for the vectors and use ripple procedural, or turbulence...that will make the particles sway back and forth, and depending on how you set the procedural texture wavelength, wave speed wave source, it will get you there as fireflies moving back and forth...in realtime without flocking.

the strenght can be conrolled by raising particle velocity values, or wind dynamics power, or raise the textures layer opacity or texture value, you could add random particle velocity etc.

Flocking particles in the later lightwave version might be able to do something like it too, but it always need calculations, and it might actually be harder to set up, unless someone make a mosqito or firefly preset:)

Michael

prometheus
01-12-2014, 08:48 PM
hereŽs a simple setup...
YouŽd have to setup hypervoxels with some sparkle twinkle for the fireflys yourself though, or use instances and attach models for some butterflies or other bugs.

Michael

medicalart
01-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the scene! Good random motions are possible.