PDA

View Full Version : Shark Tutorial Questions

jaxtone
01-10-2014, 09:34 PM
At 5.00 Lino Grandi says... (- Because, all you have to do is...)

Then he add a bone at X=0, Y=0, and Z=0, then moves it to the Sharks tail and starts adding child bones. After this he starts to rotate some bones and the Shark twist and turns like its on a hook. Perfect! But when I try this I don´t get the same result at all.

1. I add the first bone and move it to the tail and start to add child bones. But it doesn´t seem to work the same way as in Lino´s tutorial and when I activate my bones they´re all moved back into the zero position! See attached image files!

Anyone with more shark skills than me that possibly could give an old man a helping hand?

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/lightwave-116-animate-a-shark/

daforum
01-11-2014, 02:09 AM
You need to "rest" your bones in position so they can then be rotated and will deform the object mesh.

Position your top bone ( the first bone ) back to where it was in the tail and keyframe it at 0
Highlight all your bones in the chain and press the "r" key to "rest" all the bones.
Now you should be able to deform the shark as in the tutorial.

jaxtone
01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
darorum!

Just came back from a short tour with my rock band and are very pleased to read the information you supported me with. There are some tricks Lino Grandi does in the link to his tutorial and I am not sure whether he has made some presets or if these are default settings.

I am talking about when he chose, splits or handle these bones like virtual slaves without using the keyboard. Many years ago when I worked a short while with XSI there were a road map with pre-defined shortcuts printed on a pdf file. Anyone knows if there is something available for bone editing in Lightwave as well?

jaxtone
01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi Daforum!

Most of this tutorial worked out fine until 11:15 when I was tolded to animate the shark´s bone one until keyframe 200. But when I animated bone one and then ran the whole animation the fish turned backwards! Very strannge! Do you posslbly think you or anyone with more skills than me can see what´s wrong in the attached file?

Regards
Jack

jaxtone
01-14-2014, 02:23 AM
Hi again!

I just found out what the problems was... and my lesson is to never animate when you are dead tired! Missed to remove a keyframe for the master bone!

daforum
01-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Hi jaxtone.
Good to hear you sorted out the problem. It's annoying I know, when one small detail can affect everything; but when it's resolved and working life can then move forwards again (or the shark!!)
:)

Have you rendered any animation of what you are doing?

jaxtone
01-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Hi daforum!

Definitely right, small stuff that stop the process have at least made me 200 years older only the latest year!

To be honest, I am about to cover up my background film from a reflection and wait for a customer buzz word before I start to render!