PDA

View Full Version : I have a question...

grafxstudio
01-10-2014, 11:15 AM
How would you go about making a stained glass window? Would you make each individual pane or break up the window?
Larry

JamesCurtis
01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
If you intend on doing anything like breaking the window with some dynamics with Bullet, I'd make the panes and the leading between them as separate pieces [accordingly broken into shards and shrapnel-like pre-cuts]. Glass panes and leading would behave differently when breaking.

If it's only for static use and not seen too close you could create just the basic shape and apply an imagemap of the stained glass to it. You could also create a grayscale bumpmap to affect perceived thickness to the leading part.

grafxstudio
01-10-2014, 12:18 PM
What I want to do is shine a light through the pane and have the rays shown inside. Say if you were in a church. And the sun shines through the glass.
Larry

prometheus
01-10-2014, 02:28 PM
What I want to do is shine a light through the pane and have the rays shown inside. Say if you were in a church. And the sun shines through the glass.
Larry

depends on if you have images of a church glass in stained style, you could use that, or use illustrator,photoshop and make shapes and images in there, it works to map on to the windows transparency channel
and on the color channel, the volumetric light will be cut off in the dark areas. however that alone will just let the light shine with a white color or whatever the light has set as color, i think you would like to
get the different window colors tint the light beam as well, so im not sure how to do that, have to check that.

What you would like to get is just as in this modo showcasing, using transparency map exactly on a window stained map and getting nice color beams from the window, not sure if it is possible in lightwave, maybe with nodes.
or actually use a texture on the volumetric light, that sort of fakes it, but doesnīt seem to be that real as with modo.

Anyway, itīs not necessary to break up or model the window just map a texture or even use dpont stained or stained image for creating tiled window patterns on the transparency and color channels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu44L4cWpIo

spherical
01-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Like this:

.25" thick plate model
Gradients applied for Reflection/Transparency/Diffuse in the mode of the "old" glass system (these are not necessary)
Image mapped to the plate in Color Texture Channel and Transparency Texture Channel
Color Filter at 300% in Surface Editor Advanced tab (this is the key)
Glossy marble floor with textures turned off, so the window projection can be better seen
Distant light with Volumetric turned on (use any light type you like for shadow softness control, etc.)

119208 119209

prometheus
01-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Like this:

.25" thick plate model
Gradients applied for Reflection/Transparency/Diffuse in the mode of the "old" glass system (these are not necessary)
Image mapped to the plate in Color Texture Channel and Transparency Texture Channel
Color Filter at 300% in Surface Editor Advanced tab (this is the key)
Glossy marble floor with textures turned off, so the window projection can be better seen
Distant light with Volumetric turned on

119208 119209

I dont see the light beams being colored by the glass window, the way it should be if you look at the modo clip I pointed to.
hand heres a fake around with volume light texture to get the color...

Michael

spherical
01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Wasn't trying for that and this isn't Modo.

prometheus
01-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Wasn't trying for that and this isn't Modo.

Thatīs ok, thatīs what we were trying for, this isnīt modo ..really? whats that got to do with us working in lightwave trying to acomplish something that should be a more real solution? and thus refering to
techniques in modo possible appliable to lightwave.

Michael

prometheus
01-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Actually spherical, after testing, the color filter actually affects the lights color beams, it wasnīt notable in your image, but I noticed i my setup, it is to faint thou, have to test more..you could increase even higher
on the color filter,but then actuall window looks to weird.

will get back on this.

Michael

prometheus
01-10-2014, 09:08 PM
so it sort of works, just needs dialing and fine tuning for a better look.

Michael

spherical
01-10-2014, 09:45 PM
The beam colors are actually there. With the settings I was using, in order to get the OP an answer that actually could be used, I didn't bother tweaking. The only change in this image is that the Color Filter setting was increased to combat the blown-out intensity of the beam.
I'm sure if someone wanted to fake it to pump the beam color saturation up, they could.

prometheus
01-10-2014, 10:19 PM
The beam colors are actually there. With the settings I was using, in order to get the OP an answer that actually could be used, I didn't bother tweaking. The only change in this image is that the Color Filter setting was increased to combat the blown-out intensity of the beam.
I'm sure if someone wanted to fake it to pump the beam color saturation up, they could.

yes,that is sort of what I said.

hereīs a little more tweaking, it also depends on what color is used in the room or surface it is hitting, white will probably be more blown out, and it also depends on how the room is lit I suppose.
have to check to modo showcase anyway to see exactly what is going on, I thought it looked better and more naturalistic the way it was done there.

one volumetric distant light, and one area light slightly behind the window with inverse distance falloff, also spreading the window color around in the room.
window surface/advanced/colorfilter 230%.

Michael

spherical
01-10-2014, 11:03 PM
The original example was a plate of glass floating in mid air. This allowed the sides of the beam to pass by unfiltered, which assisted in blowing out the values; especially in the center where the beam was widest. Additionally, the original image I chose was not very deep or saturated in most of the areas; a lot of it was nearly hwite, therefore not much saturation would be transferred to the volumetric.

The renders below have the windows set into a wall that has the side open for comparison to the beams against the white marble floor that was the only background in the original set of images. The second window has deep, saturated glass and the colors in the volumetric are naturally intensified; especially when seen against the dark background where there will be more contrast.
119222 119223
Increasing the Volumetric Density assists in this intensification, as you are increasing the scattering in the "atmosphere" by increasing the "stuff" (dust, moisture) in it. All atmospheres will be different. In all actuality, if you were standing there and no one had been burning incense, the beams would look more like this.

jeric_synergy
01-11-2014, 12:31 AM
A subject line that state "I have a question.." How novel.

jwiede
01-11-2014, 01:09 AM
The volumetric coloration is a caustic effect, and Lightwave's caustics are nigh-always dimmer/weaker than they should be (even the caustics that show with caustics turned off, as in this case).

In reality, if the light beams are showing that clearly (iow, lots of particulates or whatever present), the beam colors through the windows should be more obvious, esp. those through the bottom of the window (which still look white-ish but are producing deep cobalt blues on the floor). Try the same effect in Maxwell (this effect was added in v3) and the beam coloration is much more obvious, the way it should be in such a case.

You could try turning LW's caustics on and cranking up the caustics setting, to see if that helps.

spherical
01-11-2014, 02:27 AM
That would require turning on GI. Here's an image created with it, with Volumetric Density dialed back to the default of 100%:
You'll note that the colors on the floor are not as deep but probably more accurate.

While it feels more like real-world, compared to the previous combinations, mostly because it is more subtle than one would like to admit, I think we've gone far past what the OP was asking for help with.