PDA

View Full Version : Modeling, animating cell network - how to start ?

madno
01-09-2014, 08:03 PM
So far I had the pleasure to do some still renders which was not too difficult. But now its time for some animation and honestly I need some tips on how to start.
The animation should show a bunch of individual cells which connect to each other over time. After the cell network has been established there should beams fire from cell to cell. I hope the attached sketch explains the idea better than my words.
I have LW 11, 3D-Coat and AfterEffects with the Redgiant plug ins (Trapcode etc.) and Element3D from Video Copilot at hand.

Especially the part where the cells grow into the network is where I am struggeling. Any hint like links to tutorial about how to best achive this part is appreciated.

Growing cell network:

Beam test in AfterEffects:

pinkmouse
01-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Hypervoxels and morph mixer come to mind. Give me a few minutes and I'll have a play.

pinkmouse
01-10-2014, 03:32 AM
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdwIrpWz2WA&feature=youtu.be

You can fine tune the morphs and hypervoxels to your liking, but this shows the basic principal.

madno
01-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the scene and the keywords morphmixer and hypervoxels. I think I have something to do over the weekend.

pinkmouse
01-10-2014, 04:06 AM
No problem. :)

madno
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Hi,

I tried the idea with morph and hypervoxels. It works. But I noticed that in case I like to change the way the cells connect, I need to redo the morphs again all the time. So I had the idea to use bullet to grow the cell connections and put hypervoxels on top of it (I think that way I can change the layout of the cells and just recalulate instead of changing the morphs).

Unfortunately I can't get the deforming sphere to deform enough to reach its neighbor sphere. You can see in the sceenshot that the inner rigid body penetrates through the outer deforming body at an early stage.
I tried with subd and non subd spheres but that does not seem to make a difference. Also millions of different combinations of bullet values did not help.
Does anybody know if it is possible to achieve this with bullet at all?
Or is there another way to do it. Could some kind of cloth simulation work for this?